2019Xray

JOB TERMINATION- HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS?

107 posts in this topic

How do you possibly deal with this employer's character?

June 26th 2019 - Surprise PIP session. There were no prior discussions about my work.

July 2nd - First PIP meeting. Was informed I was at 90% efficiency. Nothing new that I did. Just same old routine. 

July 12th - Went to a room thinking we are gonna discuss progress. Fired on spot at 10am. No reason given. Shoved out of office. Wasn't even allowed to pack my stuff. They brought it outside.

Anyway, I left as I had a job offer of which I was waiting for offer letter to be sent. We had already agreed on salary and start date. A week later, new job emails me and says they will not be giving me the job as they found out I'm not fit for the company anymore. Why did this just happen now? Couldn't they have known about that early??

At this point, I emailed past HR asking for a copy of what EXACTLY is on my file. They refused to give it to me.

I've since got 3 other job offers which I lost again at the same stage- employment verification with past employer. This makes me think that there is something on my file and it's frustrating that I cannot get help solving this. I emailed the CEO who passed my inquiry to HR, who called and just told me I was rightfully terminated. 

And the VP never hid the fact that he never wanted me hired in the first place. And he's the one who came up with the PIP and also officiated my termination.

Two months later, I have no job. I pass all interviews,  agree on salary and start date only to loose it when potential employer goes to verify past employment.  

I know this is not an immigration question,  but being an immigrant and new into this, what can I possibly do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to moving Here and Your New Life, from Working and Traveling - As the question is not immigration related.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sounds as though you need to speak with an employment attorney.  Many attorneys will offer an initial consultation for free or at cheap price.  Governmental agencies might also be of help, if discrimination is involved.  Start with the attorney.  Definitely let us know what you learn.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

6 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Sounds as though you need to speak with an employment attorney.  Many attorneys will offer an initial consultation for free or at cheap price.  Governmental agencies might also be of help, if discrimination is involved.  Start with the attorney.  Definitely let us know what you learn.

I spoke with an attorney a while back. She wanted me to file for unemployment. I did not at that time as I was just waiting for the offer letter for the first job that I lost. 

And to add to this, this is a professional job. So it is not surprising to know someone in the same department in another company. To be exact, in 3/4 of those jobs whose offer I lost, I was asked if I worked with person X at my former company. Person X was my immediate supervisor who came up with the allegations against me, then teamed up with the VP who already disliked me. I had been with the company for more than a year before he was hired. He won a big job for the company then grew horns as he started communicating directly with the VP. And he, person X,  was hovering on my LinkedIn the other day. I got a notification that he viewed my profile.

I started an application with EEOC, but closest interview is mid December. So I kind of gave up.

I never missed work. Infact, I am owed more than 300 hours of unpaid overtime. I have never been in such a situation before, so I thought I'd prove them wrong after the PIP meeting. I did prove them wrong but i did not know that I was still gonna get fired regardless. 

Edited by 2019Xray

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
36 minutes ago, 2019Xray said:

I spoke with an attorney a while back. She wanted me to file for unemployment. I did not at that time as I was just waiting for the offer letter for the first job that I lost. 

And to add to this, this is a professional job. So it is not surprising to know someone in the same department in another company. To be exact, in 3/4 of those jobs whose offer I lost, I was asked if I worked with person X at my former company. Person X was my immediate supervisor who came up with the allegations against me, then teamed up with the VP who already disliked me. I had been with the company for more than a year before he was hired. He won a big job for the company then grew horns as he started communicating directly with the VP. And he, person X,  was hovering on my LinkedIn the other day. I got a notification that he viewed my profile.

I started an application with EEOC, but closest interview is mid December. So I kind of gave up.

I never missed work. Infact, I am owed more than 300 hours of unpaid overtime. I have never been in such a situation before, so I thought I'd prove them wrong after the PIP meeting. I did prove them wrong but i did not know that I was still gonna get fired regardless. 

Look like your old supervisor is micromanagement.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Unless the job had some sort of union protection, you were an at will employee and can be fired for any reason.  Your only chance with an attorney would be if you have documents proving discrimination which it sounds like you don't have.  Hiring an attorney would be expensive, the process long, with no guarantee that you would get anything from the company.  My advice is to keep looking for another job and move on.  Sorry this happened to you but in the US there are not good protections for most employees unless there is a union involved, even then, there are rules and policies in place and the company would have known that and followed them.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

46 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Unless the job had some sort of union protection, you were an at will employee and can be fired for any reason.  Your only chance with an attorney would be if you have documents proving discrimination which it sounds like you don't have.  Hiring an attorney would be expensive, the process long, with no guarantee that you would get anything from the company.  My advice is to keep looking for another job and move on.  Sorry this happened to you but in the US there are not good protections for most employees unless there is a union involved, even then, there are rules and policies in place and the company would have known that and followed them.  Good luck!

Yes. You're right. 

Nonetheless, as much as you can fire me for no reason, it's not ethical to be fired then again taint your image to the point where you cannot get another job. That's where I'm disagreeing with. It would have been better just to ask me to put my 2 weeks notice and leave. I don't know what the hurry was to push me out. I had personal files on the computer.  They are already wiped out and as such, I have no evidence. 

Then HR called and tells me they have a lot of evidence against me. I asked for a share, they refused saying it's company property. Basically,  they accused me, gathered evidence, fired me yet they don't want to even verify those accusations? To them, I'm guilty. 

In the last 2 jobs that I just lost, I had explained to them during the interview that I don't know why I was fired. It was not told to me, nor was it written on my termination letter. They found it surprising but informed me that they start their employees on clean slates, not caring what happened before. Well,  in the next email chain, we agreed about salary and potential start date. So I was just waiting for the last email which would have had the offer letter for me to sign. Instead of that, both came back, taking away the offer. So I'm back to the same position. Waiting for the same cycle to repeat itself. Yes, fire me. But let me go and make a living elsewhere.  Why try to make sure I suffer?

And just to add a twist to this...the PIP session was not supposed to happen. Instead,  I was supposed to be getting fired on that day. According to my Superior, the HR had intervened asking that "I be given another chance" . I put that in quotes because I was fired 2 weeks later. So it seems that since I've never had any complaint on file, the company was open to a lawsuit had I been fired at the instance. So HR came up with this ingenious idea of second chance. All they wanted was my signature on that PIP document, then let the water settle for a week and then fire me after 2 weeks from the PIP meeting. 

And by the way, 3 of my colleagues from another department, knew well before hand that I was getting fired. How do I know? A week before my PIP session, I was at lunch break. We had just purchased a car and I was proud. So I showed my coworker and he made a comment like " I don't think you should be buying a car at this time with your current situation." Those were his exact words.

After my PIP session, another colleague in another department told me that she had news from the ground that my department was purposely withholding work from me so that they can taint my image. This made sense as my immediate Supervisor would always refrain from giving me projects. I went ahead and asked another office if they needed help. He got mad and told me not to help the other office and that we had too much work on our plate, too much work yet I wasn't getting any?????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When employers are calling for reference only thing they can ask is would they hire you again. 

It sounds like your former employer is blackballing you. 

Maybe you should think of leaving them off your job history.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

42 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

When employers are calling for reference only thing they can ask

(1) would they hire you again

It sounds like your former employer is blackballing you. 

(2) Maybe you should think of leaving them off your job history.

(1). I'm sure their answer to this is a solid NO. And that may be the reason why the other companies are rescinding offer.

And for references,  I had used my other colleagues who were called and they spoke highly of me. After speaking to my references, it was when we started negotiating about salary.  Then after that, the HR for potential employer calls to verify if I used to work at my other job. At this point,  they don't call references but the former job directly.  This is where everything falls apart. 

(2). I thought about leaving them out too. But it's a professional career field. This is why it's a bit challenging to hide what I have been doing for the last 1.5 years. What will I say when they ask me what I have been upto for the last 1.5 years? And my name is all over Google being that I was the valedictorian for all of the graduating class. I'm pretty sure Google doesn't forget, even if I hide the fact that I haven't worked for 1.5 years, it will somehow suggest that I used to work for company Y and then potential employers will ask why I lied to them. Or I'm I overthinking? ( I actually ran a 2 second Google search and had to edit this post and take out my career field, month and year of graduation because putting those 3 on Google immediately pulled my profile).

This was my first job being that I just graduated. I tend to think they track your history. Maybe I should try. Actually, I'll try in one application to hide company Y and see how it goes. I'll also deactivate my LinkedIn for a while incase they Google my name and my LinkedIn profile shows up indicating I used to work at company Y. 

Edited by 2019Xray

12 minutes ago, 2019Xray said:

(1). I'm sure their answer to this is a solid NO. And that may be the reason why the other companies are rescinding offer.

And for references,  I had used my other colleagues who were called and they spoke highly of me. After speaking to my references, it was when we started negotiating about salary.  Then after that, the HR for potential employer calls to verify if I used to work at my other job. At this point,  they don't call references but the former job directly.  This is where everything falls apart. 

(2). I thought about leaving them out too. But it's a professional career field. This is why it's a bit challenging to hide what I have been doing for the last 1.5 years. What will I say when they ask me what I have been upto for the last 1.5 years? And my name is all over Google being that I was the valedictorian for all of the graduating class. I'm pretty sure Google doesn't forget, even if I hide the fact that I haven't worked for 1.5 years, it will somehow suggest that I used to work for company Y and then potential employers will ask why I lied to them. Or I'm I overthinking? ( I actually ran a 2 second Google search and had to edit this post and take out my career field, month and year of graduation because putting those 3 on Google immediately pulled my profile).

This was my first job being that I just graduated. I tend to think they track your history. Maybe I should try. Actually, I'll try in one application to hide company Y and see how it goes. I'll also deactivate my LinkedIn for a while incase they Google my name and my LinkedIn profile shows up indicating I used to work at company Y. 

Did you maintain your ARRT registry? Are you required state license to practice? 

6 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

You keep saying allegations and they got evidence against you..... on what? Seems like something was going on you are not telling about. 

I don't know. As I said, I had another job offer while I was being fired. A week later, the other company emails me saying that they had "just found out" that I'm not fit to work with them anymore. Why did they just find this out after I was fired? Before I was fired from the other company, we had already agreed on salary and start date for this other new company. His email pointed to my former employer. So I called former HR asking them for a copy of what EXACTLY was put on my termination file. She refused and told me it cannot be shared and that they have evidences. I asked for a share of these evidences, she refused saying it's company property.  

And mark you,  noone, my Supervisor included, had never spoken to me about my work. I was always in at work at 8am and left way past 6pm. Any hours above 8 were unpaid. They refused to pay me but being a graduate, I took it in as a positive thing so as to get experience.  

I hope I answered your question. If I did not, feel free to ask in another way so that I can answer it much better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.