2019Xray

JOB TERMINATION- HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS?

107 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, 2019Xray said:

I'm not in the ARRT field but another. 

Yes. I am required to have a license,  but not right now as I just graduated. 

Hahahah I didn't know what ARRT was. I had to google it. 

I take it that you are not a radiographer then. In my state regardless of when you graduated you must have a license to work or you are immediately terminated. Sorry i saw your user name and assumed you were a radiographer :) My bad!

Edited by SuznAaron

33 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

You keep saying allegations and they got evidence against you..... on what? Seems like something was going on you are not telling about. 

And I understand you. You're not the first person not to believe this story. My other 2 job interviewers and even my family did not believe this. So I had to show them the letter that I was given, whose first paragraph i just shared. 

Nonetheless, if they had evidence, isn't it wise to table it out so that we go through it? Why are they refusing to share/ discuss? Remember they even refused to discuss my PIP session but forced me to sign.

Anyway, all that I said throughout this entire thread is the truth. I so wish to just get another job and move on. But it seems that's is not likely to happen. 

8 minutes ago, SuznAaron said:

I take it that you are not a radiographer then. In my state regardless of when you graduated you must have a license to work or you are immediately terminated. Sorry i saw your user name and assumed you were a radiographer :) My bad!

Haha it's alright. I have been a member on VJ for like 4 years now. I just created a false account to get some views on my situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Surpirsed the lawyer only said to file for unemployment (which you can't get if fired in many states)

instead of filing a law suit / attorneys love to sue

in the south the HR practice here is to only report day that you were employed with start and stop date

most employers /large and small / know they can be sued by the new employer if they recommend a person,  and that person turns out to be less than said on the recommendation

and if they say something (even if true ) that is detrimental ,  you can sue (by proving who and what was said)

most stick to date hired and last day of work with no comment about job performance or abilities

this practice  is actually being taught in colleges now to those going thru business classes

Edited by JeanneAdil

4 minutes ago, 2019Xray said:

Haha it's alright. I have been a member on VJ for like 4 years now. I just created a false account to get some views on my situation.

Ah right! Im in radiography so thats why I jumped in. But in my opinion you have a right to know why you were terminated. If you were working out a probation time then yes they can fire you for any reason during that time. Myself personally I would never let anyone fire me without my knowing the reason. Lawyer up if you are getting no where! Best of luck to you!

8 minutes ago, SuznAaron said:

Ah right! Im in radiography so thats why I jumped in. But in my opinion you have a right to know why you were terminated. If you were working out a probation time then yes they can fire you for any reason during that time. Myself personally I would never let anyone fire me without my knowing the reason. Lawyer up if you are getting no where! Best of luck to you!

I am a graduate. I did not know any better. And I had another job at hand, so I dis not even cry about it. 

I'm broke to afford a lawyer now. I have no evidence as they were on my computer, which I wasn't allowed to go back to. The only evidence I have are my former colleagues and putting them on the line to be fired incase they testify would be the last thing I'd want. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
31 minutes ago, 2019Xray said:

And I understand you. You're not the first person not to believe this story. My other 2 job interviewers and even my family did not believe this. So I had to show them the letter that I was given, whose first paragraph i just shared. 

Nonetheless, if they had evidence, isn't it wise to table it out so that we go through it? Why are they refusing to share/ discuss? Remember they even refused to discuss my PIP session but forced me to sign.

Anyway, all that I said throughout this entire thread is the truth. I so wish to just get another job and move on. But it seems that's is not likely to happen. 

You are bringing the letter to your job interviews?

19 minutes ago, SuznAaron said:

But in my opinion you have a right to know why you were terminated. If you were working out a probation time then yes they can fire you for any reason during that time. Myself personally I would never let anyone fire me without my knowing the reason.

That's fine for an opinion, but no such right is recognized in the US. Employment is at-will and one can be fired for any reason (barring a very limited set of discriminatory circumstances). You do not "let somebody fire you"....they fire you if they choose to do so and no reason is required.

As for the OP's case, I'm sorry that it ended poorly with the employer and now they are having trouble finding a new position. That said, any negative reports they may have on you are the company's property. They are subject to discovery if it went to court (or, more likely, forced arbitration given the workplace environment today), but the employer has no legal obligation to turn them over.

Generally, an employer will only specify if a previous employee worked there, the dates they did so, and possibly if they separated voluntarily or not. Anything more exposes them to litigation.

If there is evidence they did do more than that, speak to an attorney and see if there's anything there. It's a very uphill battle and suspicion is not enough to be victorious in court, but they may have other avenues to pursue to at least obtain more information.

Good luck and I hope you find employment soon.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

11 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Surpirsed the lawyer only said to file for unemployment (which you can't get if fired in many states)

instead of filing a law suit / attorneys love to sue

in the south the HR practice here is to only report day that you were employed with start and stop date

most employers /large and small / know they can be sued by the new employer if they recommend a person,  and that person turns out to be less than said on the recommendation

and if they say something (even if true ) that is detrimental ,  you can sue (by proving who and what was said)

most stick to date hired and last day of work with no comment about job performance or abilities

this practice  is actually being taught in colleges now to those going thru business classes

Never heard of this before. I thought references were former colleagues? And why would I put a colleague who will talk negative about me?

Yes. That's what HR told me. Which of course I don't believe her, cz while we were talking, she kept on changing her words, to the point where I got tired of listening to her lies. My Supervisor had told me something and when I asked her to acknowledge it, she said she asked and he denied ever saying it. And her voice was shaky, much like calculating her words. I had been here for 1.5 years. I know how they talk ####### about people. I'm certain, she overstepped her boundaries and told potential employers something and now was freaking out cz I was challenging her. As I had said, these people know each other. Infact, this company is across the street from my other job. So I'm certain these HR ladies know each other and while in that familiarity mode, she told the other HR lady more than she should have and was now freaking out cz she thought I knew more, hence the shaky voice.  

And furthermore,  I'd bet you $1000 if you'd walk to walk into my former employer and got a positive character feedback about my former Supervisor,  even from the front desk lady. The guy is a known "snake in the grass." 

9 minutes ago, Mezyan said:

You are bringing the letter to your job interviews?

Hell NO. 

I showed it to my family. Sorry. I should have made that clear. For the interviews, I just told them about my situation, but only if they asked. 

Anyway,  the letter has nothing substantial beyond the screenshot that I shared. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just now, 2019Xray said:

Hell NO. 

I showed it to my family. Sorry. I should have made that clear. For the interviews, I just told them about my situation, but only if they asked. 

Anyway,  the letter has nothing substantial beyond the screenshot that I shared. 

That's good. As a hiring manager myself, it really is just about how you frame your situation. In a positive but honest way.

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That's fine for an opinion, but no such right is recognized in the US. Employment is at-will and one can be fired for any reason (barring a very limited set of discriminatory circumstances). You do not "let somebody fire you"....they fire you if they choose to do so and no reason is required.

As for the OP's case, I'm sorry that it ended poorly with the employer and now they are having trouble finding a new position. That said, any negative reports they may have on you are the company's property. They are subject to discovery if it went to court (or, more likely, forced arbitration given the workplace environment today), but the employer has no legal obligation to turn them over.

Generally, an employer will only specify if a previous employee worked there, the dates they did so, and possibly if they separated voluntarily or not. Anything more exposes them to litigation.

If there is evidence they did do more than that, speak to an attorney and see if there's anything there. It's a very uphill battle and suspicion is not enough to be victorious in court, but they may have other avenues to pursue to at least obtain more information.

Good luck and I hope you find employment soon.

And I do agree. 

As I stated,  3/4 interviewers have asked me about Person X, my former Supervisor. These people know each other.

And as I know that he doesn't keep his mouth shut, he may be spewing negative remarks, while not acting on company behalf but "buddy" mode, about me to his friends who happen to be my interviewers. Why is he hoovering on my LinkedIn anyway?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The employer still could face a defamation (libel or slander) lawsuit from the employee or a negligent referral lawsuit from the prospective employer if care was not taken in limiting the type of information provided and making sure that the information was given to the correct person.

States that do not have an immunity statute, including New York and Massachusetts, make it more difficult for the employer to provide reference information to prospective employers,

This was stated on the following  and we were told (at my former job) to not provide references unless we wanted to be held personally responsible 

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/can-employers-give-a-bad-reference-for-a-former-employee.aspx

each state has different laws and each company different rules,  but seems you have a good law suit and should follow up on it 

lawyer can file a civil suit for lost wages and ruining your career 

just be sure of your proofs and witnesses

7 minutes ago, Mezyan said:

That's good. As a hiring manager myself, it really is just about how you frame your situation. In a positive but honest way.

I understand.  I did my homework on how to tackle this issue well before I went for my interviews. I always try to round it off smoothly, honestly and positively. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.