Fluxed88

Sent here from Reddit. This is my post from r/legaladvice

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, designguy said:

As another poster had said, immigrant intent can be reevaluated at the time of the AOS interview. OP still hasn't answered my questions:

1) Did the wife maintain a residence abroad or did she give it up when she came on her visit

2) Did she discuss moving to the US with her children prior to arriving?

plus being able to work remotely 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

but he needs to be aware of the costs for 3 to AOS and the problems he has already made as her name on bank account and lease after only 2 weeks of marriage

and bringing divorce papers to show kids can move out of her country and their birth certificates to enrol them in school

major issues

I was on my husbands accounts right after we got married also that is pretty common when you marry.

He said he was wrong and other family members brought it over with them per her request when she figured out she was staying. 

I get what you are saying but at the same time it really won't be big issues when AOS. I'm personally against that it is even legal to AOS here on any visa but the rules are rules and they can do it. 

Also my son is enrolled in school and I have never given them his birth certificates for that. They also have seen his passport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

but he needs to be aware of the costs for 3 to AOS and the problems he has already made as her name on bank account and lease after only 2 weeks of marriage

and bringing divorce papers to show kids can move out of her country and their birth certificates to enrol them in school

major issues

Never said his facts were clean.  We don't know the questions asked at the border to allow them in.  Since intent is determined at the border that may or may not play.   Still doesn't change my opinion about putting the kids in school while the applications navigate 

YMMV

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

I was on my husbands accounts right after we got married also that is pretty common when you marry.

He said he was wrong and other family members brought it over with them per her request when she figured out she was staying. 

I get what you are saying but at the same time it really won't be big issues when AOS. I'm personally against that it is even legal to AOS here on any visa but the rules are rules and they can do it. 

Also my son is enrolled in school and I have never given them his birth certificates for that. They also have seen his passport.

Seems your case was done in 2016? I would say that USCIS, under new leadership, has a different directive when adjudicating petitions today than they did back then

Timeline
2 minutes ago, designguy said:

Seems your case was done in 2016? I would say that USCIS, under new leadership, has a different directive when adjudicating petitions today than they did back then

OMG don't start up this Trump sh*t. That has nothing to do with anything.

And I also didn't do AOS from a tourist visa so you can even compare mine with his.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
31 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I just keep wondering how he added here to bank account and lease with no SS #  or taxpayer ID and no credit history

He is saying the bank broke federal banking laws?

and he intends to use that for proof of relationship to immigration?  A ton of issues here

lawyer needed

I was able to add my husband to my bank account even though he has no SSN. My understanding is that it was allowed because it is not an interest-bearing account, therefore no tax ramifications. We are also moving into an apartment together on Friday with the lease in both of our names, even though he has no SSN and no credit history, etc. These things are not impossible, just greatly depend on the bank and where you live. I've lived in my apartment complex for 4 years, so the leasing manager was happy to work with us despite my husband's unusual circumstances. She got copies of all of his documentation (Biographical passport page, copy of K1 visa, copy of I-94, and copy of NOA1 for his green card application). 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

I was able to add my husband to my bank account even though he has no SSN. My understanding is that it was allowed because it is not an interest-bearing account, therefore no tax ramifications. We are also moving into an apartment together on Friday with the lease in both of our names, even though he has no SSN and no credit history, etc. These things are not impossible, just greatly depend on the bank and where you live. I've lived in my apartment complex for 4 years, so the leasing manager was happy to work with us despite my husband's unusual circumstances. She got copies of all of his documentation (Biographical passport page, copy of K1 visa, copy of I-94, and copy of NOA1 for his green card application). 

direct from  the federal banking laws (not rules)

)  For a U.S. person, a taxpayer identification number; or

(ii)  For a non-U.S. person, one or more of the following: A taxpayer identification number; passport number and country of issuance; alien identification card number; or number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard.

so,  you had alien ID card 

but the bank is still suppose to have Taxpayer ID number to keep in accordance with anti laundering laws

and the OP"s wife did not have alien number or proper Visa to allow her on bank account

Timeline
6 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

(ii)  For a non-U.S. person, one or more of the following: A taxpayer identification number; passport number and country of issuance; alien identification card number; or number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard.

but the bank is still suppose to have Taxpayer ID number to keep in accordance with anti laundering laws

and the OP"s wife did not have alien number or proper Visa to allow her on bank account

I had a bank account in the US from before I even met my husband and that was with just my passport nothing else. I have seen it happen here a lot that people get their spouse added before they even come to the country.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Georgia16 said:

I had a bank account in the US from before I even met my husband and that was with just my passport nothing else. I have seen it happen here a lot that people get their spouse added before they even come to the country.

many have accounts here with ITIN or EIN (for working here)

but we have read and seen many here on K1 visas having difficulties getting on bank accounts 

and read the federal banking laws (she does not have an alien number and although she has ID , most banks would not let her open or be added to account just as they need to avoid their own fines

I added my husband 5 years before he came with ITIN 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

It says "one or more of the following" and includes "passport number and country of issuance". I don't see the issue? People who are going the CR-1 route often have a joint bank account even though their spouse is in a different country. Some banks are more strict than others of course, so it is still an issue for people regardless (but not impossible and not illegal).

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

many have accounts here with ITIN or EIN (for working here)

but we have read and seen many here on K1 visas having difficulties getting on bank accounts 

and read the federal banking laws (she does not have an alien number and although she has ID , most banks would not let her open or be added to account just as they need to avoid their own fines

I added my husband 5 years before he came with ITIN 

Some banks still do it. It's not his fault or any other peoples fault that some banks allow it. 

41 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

What complicated case?

YOU (and others) are stating they came here with intent. He clearly states that was not the case. I can clearly state that I’m a 6 ft 3, Polynesian, bearded man...doesn’t change the fact that I’m actually a 5ft 5, English, not especially furry, woman. The OP may state that - and he may be telling the truth - but he also needs to be prepared for how he may be questioned on it - and how many of the red flags/bits not adding up may cause a problem. That’s not to say they shouldn’t do the interview, but it’s something to mull over.

She working now? Yeah but that won't be a huge issue and he said he will ask her to resign. I’ve never worked illegally, so have no experience - but my understanding is that it can cause problems, even if she’s resigned - as @designguy said above, she’ll have to answer yes re violating the t&cs of her non-immigrant status - surely that may have an impact? Or if she says no and lies, that could have an even bigger one...

Kids in school? Won't be an issue. 

That’s not me saying these aren’t all things that can’t be overcome (I mean, I assume they can) - but I’d definitely say the OP needs to research and understand what they are and aren’t allowed to do, as that understanding doesn’t seem to be there at present - and avoid making any further mistakes. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

That’s not me saying these aren’t all things that can’t be overcome (I mean, I assume they can) - but I’d definitely say the OP needs to research and understand what they are and aren’t allowed to do, as that understanding doesn’t seem to be there at present - and avoid making any further mistakes. 

They will look past the work when she is married to him so that will not be an issue. 

There is a clear difference between getting the OP prepared for the process and what comes with that and then directly doing whatever to scare the OP off which in my opinion of what the person i quoted is trying to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.