InquimmwFraserYo

Do K-1 Visa Holders need SSN before getting married?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

I got married in Texas without SSN. I applied for my SSN on my 3rd day in US and it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for it (it can take up to 4 weeks to receive one). If I had to wait for the SSN and then for the marriage certificate I wouldn't be able to get anything done. Some banks require SSN but not all of them. Some chicken companies added me to my husband's bill no problem, some required SSN but he can do that later.

As has been stated, an SSN isn't required in order to obtain a marriage license in any state, but if you already have an SSN then you're required to disclose it. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, payxibka said:

Does that mean my marriage is invalid as my wife does not yet have her ssn?

No, it does not.  

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULE:  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

Next time make sure she has a SSN before asking for marriage

Maybe you can get a ITIN if they live abroad and that will work

naw you don't need a ssn with a k1 visa to get married depending on state i imagine, got married to my wife just fine in NYC without my SSN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Giovanne said:

Hi, I'll take my fiancée last name, do I do that when applying for the SSN or after the wedding? If I apply before won't it conflict with the name on my k1 visa?

Well you cannot take his last name until after you're legally married, so if you apply for the SSN before that, then you'll have to use your maiden name (which obviously matches the name on your visa too). 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, payxibka said:

Ok.  I will have my wife withdraw her i485 then as we didn't get married within 90 days.  I guess now I have an i130 to file .  Oh wait,  we can't cuz we are not eligible and never will be.  Its gonna suck when I hand her a plane ticket telling her to go back when I get home from work.   :)

I know it's funny, but do remember that non-native speakers sometimes don't pick up on sarcasm...let's not panic anyone.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
37 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Well you cannot take his last name until after you're legally married, so if you apply for the SSN before that, then you'll have to use your maiden name (which obviously matches the name on your visa too). 

her* Haha

These people must not have been to Vegas. You can get married there to anyone or anything no questions asked. You can get married to girls, guys, gays, straights, chickens, dogs, cats, .... Some guy got married to a computer with Elvis as the officiant. 

Edited by USS_Voyager

I’m in Arizona and got my marriage certificate before SSN. The court asked me only passport and I-94. 

03/14/2018 I-129f Petition sent 

6 hours ago, purem4g1c said:

naw you don't need a ssn with a k1 visa to get married depending on state i imagine, got married to my wife just fine in NYC without my SSN

Couldn’t agree more. I got married to my husband in OH without SSN too

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
5 hours ago, Giordan+Hailey said:

I’m in Arizona and got my marriage certificate before SSN. The court asked me only passport and I-94. 

I will be marrying in AZ  as well 🌞😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
10 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

These people must not have been to Vegas. You can get married there to anyone or anything no questions asked. You can get married to girls, guys, gays, straights, chickens, dogs, cats, .... Some guy got married to a computer with Elvis as the officiant. 

As a current licensed marriage officiant in the state of Nevada, I have done most of these listed, in places you could not even imagine in your wildest dreams. One of my favorites was in the " Shower Room" at the Red Rooster ( A swingers club). Yes, Swingers club, not a Sling TV advertisement.

And no SS number is required to get your license, but I do recommend you apply ASAP. We applied for my now wife SS Card 18 hours after landing, and she was in the computer system already, and had her card in 2 weeks exactly.

Feel free to fly to Vegas, I'll hook you up!!!

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/22/2019 at 6:55 AM, Béchameloo said:

Do I need to have my SSN before I get married or is it not mandatory?

No it's not mandatory at least here in Nevada, but I'm not aware about laws in other states. One thing for sure is you will need to get your ssn BEFORE your 90 days runs out or you will have to apply when you do your adjustment of status application meaning you will not have one till after you get your green card. So get it done now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.