Greekwife

Final public charge rule

698 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
9 minutes ago, MjC772 said:

Yeah...keep hoping for impeachment...not likely....he didn't really commit any crime. Aside from that, the supreme court seems like it may side with Trump.....not sure, but seems like.... But why are you concerned? 

...I never said I was hoping for impeachment nor did I really say I was concerned. I was just trying to share an update. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 hours ago, Elisa Marie said:

There IS a public charge rule. It's why sponsors have to file affidavits of support and make 150% of the poverty line for their household size. What do you think that's for? Fun?

Brilliant post, thank you. Did they change the requirements from 125% to 150%? 

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 12/15/2019 at 12:09 PM, Elisa Marie said:

There IS a public charge rule. It's why sponsors have to file affidavits of support and make 150% of the poverty line for their household size. What do you think that's for? Fun?

The proposed new rule is designed to make that qualification nearly impossible to PROVE—a lawyer I spoke to recently described it as requiring "a financial colonoscopy" and a far more extensive investigation than the existing documentation. And thus more difficult to overcome. It is a targeted act of discrimination to cut family-based immigration, which the bigoted administration otherwise has less leverage over than other forms of immigration. I'm a US citizen, by the way, and I am not affected by this rule. 

Apart from all of that, by the way, I don't believe there should be a public charge rule at all. If immigrants pay taxes, they should be able to access public services. Our public services are such a disaster that I can't imagine anyone willfully relying on them if they didn't have to. The idea that people immigrating are pernicious freeloaders is preposterous. Do you think everyone besides you is trying to spend loads of money and time immigrating just to cheat and live the cushy life of SNAP benefits and Medicaid? 

Try to access common sense, generosity and compassion simultaneously. It would change your life. 

Post of the week!

On 12/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, Elisa Marie said:

The proposed new rule is designed to make that qualification nearly impossible to PROVE—a lawyer I spoke to recently described it as requiring "a financial colonoscopy" and a far more extensive investigation than the existing documentation. And thus more difficult to overcome. It is a targeted act of discrimination to cut family-based immigration, which the bigoted administration otherwise has less leverage over than other forms of immigration. I'm a US citizen, by the way, and I am not affected by this rule. 

Apart from all of that, by the way, I don't believe there should be a public charge rule at all. If immigrants pay taxes, they should be able to access public services. Our public services are such a disaster that I can't imagine anyone willfully relying on them if they didn't have to. The idea that people immigrating are pernicious freeloaders is preposterous. Do you think everyone besides you is trying to spend loads of money and time immigrating just to cheat and live the cushy life of SNAP benefits and Medicaid? 

Try to access common sense, generosity and compassion simultaneously. It would change your life. 

Awesome. I'm a US citizen by the way, by birth. Your guide is just perfect: let's dictate all laws based on generosity and compassion. Fantastic idea. I live in Peru, they have been trying this here with Venezuelans....not working out so well. Peruvians are all ticked off,  Venezuelans are taking their jobs and everyday there are news footage of robberies, assaults, and even murders committed by Venezuelans..... sadly, it has now become a huge problem. From the start, I told my wife that it would be impossible to get that genie back in the bottle and unfortunately, I was correct. 

Yes, you are right, there has always been a public charge rule....it was rarely, if ever, enforced. Now that the rule is potentially being enforced....the left doesn't like it. YOU access common sense....but you can't have common sense, generosity and compassion all in the same legal rulings.  And please, you can maybe accuse me of not being generous or even having compassion, but don't ever accuse me of not having common sense.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline
12 hours ago, MjC772 said:

Awesome. I'm a US citizen by the way, by birth. Your guide is just perfect: let's dictate all laws based on generosity and compassion. Fantastic idea. I live in Peru, they have been trying this here with Venezuelans....not working out so well. Peruvians are all ticked off,  Venezuelans are taking their jobs and everyday there are news footage of robberies, assaults, and even murders committed by Venezuelans..... sadly, it has now become a huge problem. From the start, I told my wife that it would be impossible to get that genie back in the bottle and unfortunately, I was correct. 

Yes, you are right, there has always been a public charge rule....it was rarely, if ever, enforced. Now that the rule is potentially being enforced....the left doesn't like it. YOU access common sense....but you can't have common sense, generosity and compassion all in the same legal rulings.  And please, you can maybe accuse me of not being generous or even having compassion, but don't ever accuse me of not having common sense.

Personally, I'd like to see all government welfare services ended immediately (for citizens and non-citizens). The free market can take care of it far better than any state program can. 

My concern with the public charge rule is that people may be denied immigration benefits even if they have no intention of ever using welfare programs and in fact would never do so. I'm not big on the principle of prior restraint and there are better ways to deal with the problem of immigrants using welfare benefits than denying petitions because you feel like you can see into their future. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 12/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, Elisa Marie said:

The proposed new rule is designed to make that qualification nearly impossible to PROVE

It will be nearly impossible to prove for the following:

1. Millennials who are sponsoring their immigrants like Amazon packages from their parents basements on their parents tab.  Summary:  Grow up, learn to take care of yourselves first, then sign up to take care of someone else

2.  Chain sponsors who petition for their elderly parents and other adult family members but can’t afford their healthcare.  Do what we have to do - either bring the life savings that we are positive you have been putting aside to fund your old age or demonstrate that you can pay the full price if healthcare that we have to pay for 30-40 years before we are able to take advantage of medicare and/or subsidized healthcare.  In 5 years, when US citizenship is earned, go for it, but until then pay to play

3.   Single parents who sponsor immigrants on their EITC, medicaid coverage, and child support.  Get in line behind the Millennials.  

Did I miss any of the complaining customers here?  Because the rest of us responsible grownups go all in, never accept a thing from the government, don’t expect the government to take care of our kids while we pretend we can take care of ourselves, and move on through the process.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, Nitas_man said:

It will be nearly impossible to prove for the following:

1. Millennials who are sponsoring their immigrants like Amazon packages from their parents basements on their parents tab.  Summary:  Grow up, learn to take care of yourselves first, then sign up to take care of someone else

2.  Chain sponsors who petition for their elderly parents and other adult family members but can’t afford their healthcare.  Do what we have to do - either bring the life savings that we are positive you have been putting aside to fund your old age or demonstrate that you can pay the full price if healthcare that we have to pay for 30-40 years before we are able to take advantage of medicare and/or subsidized healthcare.  In 5 years, when US citizenship is earned, go for it, but until then pay to play

3.   Single parents who sponsor immigrants on their EITC, medicaid coverage, and child support.  Get in line behind the Millennials.  

Did I miss any of the complaining customers here?  Because the rest of us responsible grownups go all in, never accept a thing from the government, don’t expect the government to take care of our kids while we pretend we can take care of ourselves, and move on through the process.

Most parents of young children, single or not, are millennials. Most people of reproductive age in the US are millennials, some generation Z there as well. If you're under 40 and over 25 you're a millennial. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the rule will move forward for now:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/27/supreme-court-enforce-trump-immigration-rule-106520

Thanks for the heads up, @missileman

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/27/supreme-court-enforce-trump-immigration-rule-106520

Here we go.........This megathread is about to get busy again..........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I don’t understand why people always blame the younger generation for all the problems. I am 23 so I guess not a millennial. I actually don’t know what I am considered. I work two overnight jobs at the hospital caring for people. Not because I need to work two jobs, but my mom has taught me since I am young and able bodied do it now before I have kids and life really takes hold. So I have managed to really save in my 401k. 

Also, as soon as my now wife came to this country and we married, I made sure she had health insurance. So please stop pointing fingers at the younger generation. Not all of us are lazy and have their hands out looking to the government for help. Some of us actually work and are responsible. 

1 hour ago, Zach2015 said:

I don’t understand why people always blame the younger generation for all the problems. I am 23 so I guess not a millennial. I actually don’t know what I am considered. I work two overnight jobs at the hospital caring for people. Not because I need to work two jobs, but my mom has taught me since I am young and able bodied do it now before I have kids and life really takes hold. So I have managed to really save in my 401k. 

Also, as soon as my now wife came to this country and we married, I made sure she had health insurance. So please stop pointing fingers at the younger generation. Not all of us are lazy and have their hands out looking to the government for help. Some of us actually work and are responsible. 

Sorry if it is coming across that way. I have seen the blame be placed on all sides. The truth is, the system is simply not sustainable. People are living longer. The population is growing. The quality of healthcare is declining. And so on, and so on. People are just pointing fingers in typical fashion.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

3 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Sorry if it is coming across that way. I have seen the blame be placed on all sides. The truth is, the system is simply not sustainable. People are living longer. The population is growing. The quality of healthcare is declining. And so on, and so on. People are just pointing fingers in typical fashion.

Oh no, I wasn’t offended. No need to apologize while you vent your frustration out. I get it. I don’t think anyone knows the answer to the problems our country is facing. 

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

I wonder if this new rule going to negatively affect applicants who had to use joint sponsor with the potential of immigration officer  assuming that petitioner income alone isn’t sufficient to support the applicant & there by he or she could be a public charge in the future.  ?

Edited by ujones

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.