WillyFlo

Will I be denied because of this? I need help! (Merged)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, WillyFlo said:

Hello everyone. I just found visajourney today and I asked a question earlier about the sponsorship which I have gotten replies to, thanks.

I started reading thru posts and I realized my fiancé and I have a lot of red flags

1. He is 17 years older than me. I am 20, he is 37

2. He has kids

3. He is divorced

4. I am from a high fraud country

5. Different races.

when he came to visit me, he met my parents and friends and he was accepted. In Nigeria, it is normal and acceptable for a man to be way older than his wife but I am quite scared we might be denied. We already filed for a K1. 

Has anyone been approved in a similar situation?

We are the same religion and we can only have a total of 3 visits at the interview stage.

what do y’all think about this?

I think each case is vastly different (even within the same embassies), but as others have posted, you'll find people here with varying "red flag" factors that were approved with no problem.

In our case:

1. I'm 5 years older than him (uncommon for the woman to be older in his culture)

2. I'm divorced

3. He's from a middle eastern country (high fraud)

4. Same religion but different races (so little in common culturally)

5. Only 1 visit before filing (1 more during the waiting process)

I, too, worried about this while going through K1 so my advice is to focus that energy on your proof of relationship and, as others have said, your visits. Make sure to provide documentation for each visit including boarding passes, tickets to places you've been together, pictures etc. I provided tons of evidence (including 2-5 pages of chats for each month we dated) and the pictures are the only thing he looked through during the interview.

Edited by celie&joseph

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Thanks for the replies.

He is starting his second job next week and it pays so well so he will have enough to take care of his family and the visa fees. I am also financially stable so I can pay some fees here and there, he doesn’t have to pay it all.

With his second job, I believe we will be fine. I was just worried we would be needing a joint sponsor since for the past years, he didn’t make enough. I guess we will have one lined up just in case. 

I just posted another topic and I would like your input on that topic as well if you haven’t already commented. Thanks thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

COs/embassies have become stricter lately, we have seen several cases where people have been denied because of risk of becoming public charge, despite earning over the poverty limit.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Libya
Timeline

When I applied for my now wife for a K-1 I had approx $4000 of income in 2014 (Only worked 3 months). I was living overseas prior to that and had no income. I was making approx 30K/year in 2015 and we just sent my current pay stubs and letter of employment showing that I currently make over the required amount. I did not have to use a joint sponsor. But, if you want to be 110% on the safe side you may want to add a joint sponsor.

Edited by Abfim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 hour ago, WillyFlo said:

Thanks for the replies.

He is starting his second job next week and it pays so well so he will have enough to take care of his family and the visa fees. I am also financially stable so I can pay some fees here and there, he doesn’t have to pay it all.

With his second job, I believe we will be fine. I was just worried we would be needing a joint sponsor since for the past years, he didn’t make enough. I guess we will have one lined up just in case. 

I just posted another topic and I would like your input on that topic as well if you haven’t already commented. Thanks thanks!

Don't let income/financial stopping you from applying for K1/K2 visa.  You can always add a sponsor if they asked for one, just have all your proof of genuine relationship (photos/airline tickets/chat logs etc) for USCIS/Embassy.  Good luck.

For our case, I had earned less than the financial requirements in 2016 and 2017, due to extenuating circumstances, and earned above the financial requirements for 2018.  I was asked for pay stubs, a letter of employment stating how much i made/ how many hours I worked/ and how long I have worked there for, and I was asked for my w2s.  We did not require a joint sponsor.  I think it is really dependent on a few factors, but it wouldn't hurt to have a sponsor lined up and have the paperwork filled out just in case, so there isn't time lost if one is required.   Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Reading your other topic, just to be safe get a joint sponsor ready. I assume he needs to pay child support which can be a lot depending on circumstances. If he was below the federal poverty guideline he might not needed to pay child support but with his second job going above it he might be required to pay.

The household size is only you and him or other persons too?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

It depends on the embassy or consulate where you are applying

Exactly right it just depends on the embassy and what they will require. I filed for the I-134 Affidavit of support for my fiancee in the Philippines and they never asked for my tax records and the I-134 forms even though I made more than the poverty level requirements.  However US immigration will require you to have an income over that poverty guidelines  for when you adjust your status with the I-864. So just be prepared for both. Which embassy will she be getting her interview at?

• Unlockable changed the title to Will I be denied because of this? I need help! (Merged)

*** Thread with questions regarding similar topics merged.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
On 7/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, WillyFlo said:

Thanks for the replies.

if the time between the new job and the interview is short, I think it is advisable to have the joint sponsor as a backup. Also, try to post one topic per post.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.