W1a9c8k5

Brand new here with work visa question

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I am in the US Military and I’ve been stationed in Singapore with many trips to the Philippines. I didn’t even realize I could hire a foreign worker to be a housekeeper in the states. I’ve read a lot in this site, but I feel like I’m missing a checklist or how to guide. Is there a site or a forum that breaks down the process to hire and get a vise for a foreign worker? 

Any tips or potential hang ups you might foresee?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Usually in order to get someone a work visa, and that seems the thing you want to do, it has to be for a job that can't be done by a US citizen that is here in the US now. Most companies will sponsor someone to came here on a work visa because they don't have the ability to find someone who can do the specialized work here in the US. For example, I deliver to a company called Speed Vegas. It is at the racetrack here in Las Vegas, NV and they let people drive fancy exotic sports cars around the track at insane speed. Think Ferrari, lambos, souped up audis, etc. They have 2 mechanics that come from Italy to work on the vehicles in their fleet. They both have work visas and switch off in 6 month increments. They were able to get the work visas because it would be very difficult to find someone here that really knows how to work on these Italian sports cars. So unless noone else here in the US knows how to clean a house, it is going to be difficult to get someone a work visa. There are a few different types of work visas, but I think you would have an uphill battle on this one. I'm sure when of the more senior members may have more insight on the process and can point you in the right direction, but it is usually big companies that have lawyers on staff to help get people visas they need.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Yeah dont count on work Visa for a housekeeper. Work visas are for more... advanced jobs. You know - gotta have degree or some valuable work experience. 

If you need housekeeper that badly, there are plenty available in the US. Another reason why work Visa wont be granted. 

Are you sure you need work visa for someone from Philippines or it's just a girlfriend from there you're trying to bring to the US and you're hoping for quicker and easier process to skip the whole spouse visa thing? Because work visa wont work either way. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Also if you're a single solider who can afford work visa sponsorship and also being able to pay (because in accordance to work visas - they need to be legally hired ) the housekeeper for another few years - congrats. 😛

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wouldn't it be easier to just hire a housekeeper already residing in the US?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

12 minutes ago, Roel said:

Also if you're a single solider who can afford work visa sponsorship and also being able to pay (because in accordance to work visas - they need to be legally hired ) the housekeeper for another few years - congrats. 😛

My wife and I have other businesses outside the military which affords us the additional income to hire a permanent worker. 

6 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

My wife and I have other businesses outside the military which affords us the additional income to hire a permanent worker. 

Still, your first step for sponsoring unqualified foreigner would be searching for someone in the US. Only then, if you will be able to confirm that no one in the US can or want do this job. Then you can think about work visas - but there are limitation on how long the person can remain in the US, also process can take years to complete because unqualified workers are not a priority and their work visas are pretty limited per year. Also your housekeeper doesn't need to be from Alaska, you need to show that no one in the whole US wanted that position. Not just one state.

There is good info here https://www.immigrationhelpla.com/immigration-law/housekeeper-domestic-employee.html

As for me assuming things - it wouldn't be the first time new forum member would try to look for loopholes like this, not to mention it's uncommon for US military to bring foreigner workers from abroad. Simply because its an expensive and long process. If you think it's that important, you will need to hire a lawyer.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

10 minutes ago, Going through said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just hire a housekeeper already residing in the US?

In my experience trying this in the past you  don’t get what you pay for and the majority  of us housekeepers eventually ake  you for granite. We had an employ working everyday for 3 hours doing a,b,c,d. After a few months they started taking 4 hours. Then 4 hours do just abc and didn’t want to do d anymore. We hired a new housekeeper and it was more of the same. They would get comfortable and push the limits so we’d have to let them go. Even paying them above minimum wage didn’t help. I ran the numbers and I could hire someone full time at $8 an hour and give them room an board ( we have the extra space) and it would be about the same price. Seems from what I see here in Singapore and the Philippines, they work with a lot more pride and thankfulness just to be employed. You dont get that in the US as easy

3 minutes ago, Roel said:

Still, your first step for sponsoring unqualified foreigner would be searching for someone in the US. Only then, if you will be able to confirm that no one in the US can or want do this job. Then you can think about work visas - but there are limitation on how long the person can remain in the US, also process can take years to complete because unqualified workers are not a priority and their work visas are pretty limited per year. Also your housekeeper doesn't need to be from Alaska, you need to show that no one in the whole US wanted that position. Not just one state.

There is good info here https://www.immigrationhelpla.com/immigration-law/housekeeper-domestic-employee.html

As for me assuming things - it wouldn't be the first time new forum member would try to look for loopholes like this, not to mention it's uncommon for US military to bring foreigner workers from abroad. Simply because its an expensive and long process. If you think it's that important, you will need to hire a lawyer.

Thank you for this info. I will try and read more to see if I have a case or not. Hard thing with Alaska is, most lower 48ers aren’t eager to come up to the last frontier. I do appreciate your help

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

In my experience trying this in the past you  don’t get what you pay for and the majority  of us housekeepers eventually ake  you for granite. We had an employ working everyday for 3 hours doing a,b,c,d. After a few months they started taking 4 hours. Then 4 hours do just abc and didn’t want to do d anymore. We hired a new housekeeper and it was more of the same. They would get comfortable and push the limits so we’d have to let them go. Even paying them above minimum wage didn’t help.

References are always helpful in that kind of situation---or housekeeping services/agency where the grunt-work of background and reference checking is done for you.  Word of mouth is another good way to find an adequate housekeeper for your needs.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

3 minutes ago, Roel said:

It kind of sounds like you're looking for cheap foreign labor. Work visas will protect that person and you will need to pay a fair wage - I highly doubt that room and board counts, but I'll leave that to other members. @geowrian  ?

Not to mention... the way you're generalizing... it's worrying also. American workers - bad. Foreign workers - all amazing. 

Just in my experience we haven’t had any luck to date hiring someone who stays the course. I would be paying them a fair wage. $8 is the minimum wage here. Same rate the foreigners our big box stores are hiring, and they get no room and board

12 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

Just in my experience we haven’t had any luck to date hiring someone who stays the course. I would be paying them a fair wage. $8 is the minimum wage here. Same rate the foreigners our big box stores are hiring, and they get no room and board

You would be expected to pay them a fair wage for the job they are doing. If locals would get paid more for housekeeping duties than the minimum wage then your worker should too. 

Would you be prepared to fund an annual trip home for your employee? Medical insurance? SS contributions, etc? It’s a lot to ask someone to up and leave to go work in a foreign country so far from home potentially with no support network. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.