W1a9c8k5

Brand new here with work visa question

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

Just in my experience we haven’t had any luck to date hiring someone who stays the course. I would be paying them a fair wage. $8 is the minimum wage here. Same rate the foreigners our big box stores are hiring, and they get no room and board

Honestly, $8 an hour seems low for a full-time housekeeper, then again I've never hired nor worked as one.

Quick searching online is showing that the average hourly pay for a housekeeper in Anchorage, Alaska is around the $12 mark.

Also note this when thinking about deducting wages in lieu of room and board:  "The servant who holds a B1 domestic worker visa must be paid at a minimum the greater of the state’s minimum wage or the Federal minimum wage (9 FAM 41.22 N4.4b(3)).  Deductions for room and board, if any, must be documented in the employment contract presented to the consular official and may be “no more than reasonable.” If the wage remaining after deductions for room and board falls below the applicable minimum or prevailing wage and the consular official concludes the remaining wage is insufficient, the consular official may deny the visa request."

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Of course, the above is provided you would meet the narrow criteria for being able to bring someone on a B1 Domestic Worker visa, which of course is up to you to research thoroughly.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Other Timeline
34 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You would be expected to pay them a fair wage for the job they are doing. If locals would get paid more for housekeeping duties than the minimum wage then your worker should too. 

Would you be prepared to fund an annual trip home for your employee? Medical insurance? SS contributions, etc? It’s a lot to ask someone to up and leave to go work in a foreign country so far from home potentially with no support network. 

Funding a trip home is something I would feel completely ok with. As far as insurance and SS contributions I don’t se why that couldn’t be worked into the deal to some extent. I don’t want to come across as someone trying to find cheap labor, but after seeing the vast population here that works for pennies on the dollar compared to workers in the US it seems I would be giving someone a much better financial opportunity then what available to them currently

https://www.indeed.com.ph/salaries/Housekeeper-Salaries

Timeline
12 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

Funding a trip home is something I would feel completely ok with. As far as insurance and SS contributions I don’t see why that couldn’t be worked into the deal to some extent.

I think you need to do some further research and make note of what you're obligated to do as the domestic employer....

2 hours ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

I am in the US Military and I’ve been stationed in Singapore with many trips to the Philippines. I didn’t even realize I could hire a foreign worker to be a housekeeper in the states. I’ve read a lot in this site, but I feel like I’m missing a checklist or how to guide. Is there a site or a forum that breaks down the process to hire and get a vise for a foreign worker? 

Any tips or potential hang ups you might foresee?

You will pretty much have to pay them the prevailing wages here in the USA and not Pinas sorry. 

But I do have a couple questions for you if you don't mind answering those sir? I am trying to get to Singapore as a GS worker so I do have a couple questions for someone that has been stationed there. 

16 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

Funding a trip home is something I would feel completely ok with. As far as insurance and SS contributions I don’t se why that couldn’t be worked into the deal to some extent. I don’t want to come across as someone trying to find cheap labor, but after seeing the vast population here that works for pennies on the dollar compared to workers in the US it seems I would be giving someone a much better financial opportunity then what available to them currently

https://www.indeed.com.ph/salaries/Housekeeper-Salaries

That link you put and the salary that is on there must be for people living in Manila because where my asawa lives at the salaries are 1/3 of that. 

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You will pretty much have to pay them the prevailing wages here in the USA and not Pinas sorry. 

But I do have a couple questions for you if you don't mind answering those sir? I am trying to get to Singapore as a GS worker so I do have a couple questions for someone that has been stationed there. 

Fire away. I’m here for a 180 tour, but I’ll answer what I can

16 minutes ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

Fire away. I’m here for a 180 tour, but I’ll answer what I can

Did you bring your family with you, are you at the Army or Navy base? I am trying to get over there because it would be great for my family not to mention it would be about a 4 hour flight to Davao where my wife is from. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As this forum shows there is a very large Filipino community in the US from which to recruit. Does beg the question is advertising just for a Filipino would be legal?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I would concur that $8/hour doesn't sound right for a full time housekeeper. I didn't check the COLA, but I would be surprised if that were the case.

Then there's issues like insurance. Assuming you aren't providing it directly as their employer, they would have to find their own. On $8/hour, good luck for a private plan.

As noted above, if deductions for room & board put them below minimum wage, the CO may deny the visa.

Edit: Taxes are completely separate. The same amount will be owed just like any US employee.

You cannot base wages or benefits on the financial opportunities they have back home. They have to be based upon US standards.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 hours ago, W1a9c8k5 said:

I’m married to a wonderful wife with two girls one of which has autism. 

This part triggered me as I am the proud mom of a son with autism. Is your goal that your foreign help will also help out with your daughter?

I know I’m not telling you anything new, but this will require some skills too. Are you specifically looking for people in The Philippines that have those skills? 

This, combined with the other input that you already received regarding wages and health care, makes me wonder if this is something you should consider..

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

We pay our housekeeper $26/hour in Boston. She's a contractor, decide of her schedule and usually comes only a few hours per week to our place. However, full time housekeeper or nanny would not be cheaper around here.  

I had the impression that cost of life was higher in Alaska and jobs with good salary were available.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.