Bcs1

How to prove he married me for a green card?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Bynx24 said:

Thank you for the clarification , maybe I read wrong but I thought she said he expected her to sponsor him etc, either way, shes screwed and big time.

OP is already on the hook as sponsor since the child would have been a derivative beneficiary when the soon-to-be ex had the K1.

I think the OP might be slightly confused as to what she is, and is not responsible for immigration-wise even after divorce.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am not going to quote the I 864, OP knew what she signed but it is certainly not limited to 10 years, as others have said would be in best interest for the spouse and child to naturalise asap.

As an aside love is never mentioned in any of this process and you supplied evidence of the validity of the relationship at several points, documentation, what do you have in the way of evidence to show that the documentation you supplied was false?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, mizliz79 said:

A little history. He came to the US July of 2016 k1 visa we got married July 27th I was truly in love with him and he led me to believe that he was too, the reasons I now believe he only married me for gc are the following. He made excuses as to why he couldn't perform when it was time for intimacy, (he doesn't know what is wrong it never happened to him, no girl has had an issue with it why should I, maybe he needs to see a Dr or because he doesn't feel much of a man) then to his luck I fell ill and didn't need to give excuses for that, I had surgery may 2018 so then came the excuse as to why not sleep with me, (he didn't want to hurt me, months later it was the TV light bothers him, he snores and doesn't want to bother me) but all this time he showed he was loving and caring like I thought too good to be true type. come time to send his roc I started the petition in Feb 2019 which I sent, March 18 I get receipt letter he then was pushing for his sons petition which I was working on but hadn't sent because I needed a joint sponsor, he was under the impression that I sent it and all we are waiting on was permanent gc.. I started noticing him different in Feb he came telling me his wedding ring fell in sink while washing hands... Come April 18th he tells me that due to us not sleeping together we've distant ourselves therefore he started talking and seeing someone else for the last week, I come to find out it's been since Feb 2019 that he started talking to 3 women not just one ... If he wanted to be honest with me, why wait till I send the roc? That's all he did was wait for me to send the paperwork, mind you he tells me this one week before I was to have another surgery. He would also tell his son how he is sacrificing himself for him to have a better future and to wait for him (wait for him for what) ..Do I have something to fight for or will I waste my time? I really want an annulment rather than a divorce but will that have an effect? Everywhere I read it says just take it and move on... I just can't believe us as citizens don't have protection for this. 

Okay:

1: 'He made excuses why he couldn't perform when it was time for intimacy'

There could be many reasons for this. Not everyone is a sex pest ready to give a mind blowing experience all the time. He could have something medical, or mental going on he finds difficult to talk about and is embarrassed. There is a lot of pressure on men to always be able to perform. If they don't you can receive comments such as 'Is it me? Am I ugly? Are you gay?' etc. This alone is not proof of Green Card fraud.

2: 'I started noticing him different in Feb he came telling me his wedding ring fell in sink while washing hands...'

It can happen. I've lost rings before. I've certainly dropped small objects in the sink before and had to retrieve them. This is also not proof of Green Card fraud.

3: 'Come April 18th he tells me that due to us not sleeping together we've distant ourselves therefore he started talking and seeing someone else for the last week, I come to find out it's been since Feb 2019 that he started talking to 3 women not just one'

In what context is he talking to these women? Do you know them or does he through work? Men can talk to women, and women can talk to men. If it's of a flirtatious/sexual nature then I'd be suspicious and confront him about it. This also isn't proof of Green Card fraud without context. If he's clearly trying to get with them, it just shows him being disloyal and dishonest. I'll never understand why people can't be honest if their relationship isn't working (not attacking you OP)

4: 'Do I have something to fight for or will I waste my time? I really want an annulment rather than a divorce but will that have an effect? Everywhere I read it says just take it and move on... I just can't believe us as citizens don't have protection for this.' 

I can't answer this for you, but if it were me I'd end the relationship. He is either unable or unwilling to discuss and be communicative with you in a way that is conducive to a cohesive relationship. I'd just end it and get a divorce. Marriages sometimes just don't work out, the US Government can't be held responsible for that if you made the free choice to marry someone. Judging the person is down to you prior to initiating the Visa Process. The US govt can only judge on what you and he tells them and assess this information and do background checks.

I hope you don't take this as an attack, I'd rather just be completely honest with you and play Devil's Advocate. I hope you find the answers you seek, and good luck with your surgeries! 

Edited by JunkTardis

5 hours ago, mizliz79 said:

I just can't believe us as citizens don't have protection for this. 

I understand the frustration, hurt, disappointment, exhaustion of funds to file paperwork while paying for surgeries, lack of love, lack of commitment, etc. It is very unfortunate that this has come to happen to you during your own trying times.

As far as "Protection to US citizens" after filing paperwork for a foreigner to reside with you after a marital union is performed, this was a choice that was made by you. Ample research into the person you took on as your partner in a marital union needs to be done prior to making that level of commitment. It is sad and heartbreaking to invest time, effort, energy and finances into something that falls apart but was only 1-sided to begin with after the smoke cleared.

Maybe there were signs that you couldn't/didn't see from the beginning.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

First im so sorry to hear your experience. 

Life is not easy especially when emotions are involved and it's unfortunate. 

In terms of what you can do, you can still write a written letter either to your local USCIS office (should you decide it's better to meet them in person) or fraud detection unit in DHS with detailed evidences that can support your claim that he married for green card. 

Let them do their work and decide it for your husband. 

Most of time these tips are ignored but it will increase his ROC journey stress level since now that you submit the detail evidences he will have to go thru more rigorous test. 

If possible, add specific evidence or experience that USCIS will ask him in-person interview. 

Ultimately you are not the judge here because you judged him as true lover the moment you signed into 130 and 485, which is why you are held accountable for failing to screen him out properly. 

Yes it's funny that you made legally binding paper with US government and now you want to retract it easily? No life is not that easy. 

That's why you wanna submit any evidences against him and let USCIS decide it. If USCIS judges this case has enough evidences as fraud they will reject, in which case your husband will most likely to bring the case to the court. 

If judges find it not good faith marriage he will be removed and it takes long time to reach this stage so practically you give him enough stresses. 

If judges find it still good faith marriage he will be given green card but again it takes couple of years to get this stage during which he would have to suffer uncertain futures. 

If this is really what you want go for it i would say. 

At the end of days you no longer have control of retracting the legally binding contract with US government that you did invite him to US and you are being held accountable. 

If you had not invited him, you wouldn't have yo go thru this but it is what it is. 

Depending on your state you might want to record what he is saying whether he voluntarily share his thoughts on the marriage but please make sure you consult with professional legal representative. I believe most states are okay that if it's shared property recording another without consent is legal so you can still submit any of his comments during conversation to USCIS. (Especially if he shares any comments that he intended to marry you for green card purpose, it is silver bullet that he won't be granted for RoC and USCIS will surely able to prove the burden in front of judges)

Or you can just let him go. Just forget him and find another one for your life and that can be another blessing. Best luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If the OP has any evidence she has yet to mention it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
6 hours ago, mizliz79 said:

A little history. He came to the US July of 2016 k1 visa we got married July 27th I was truly in love with him and he led me to believe that he was too, the reasons I now believe he only married me for gc are the following. He made excuses as to why he couldn't perform when it was time for intimacy, (he doesn't know what is wrong it never happened to him, no girl has had an issue with it why should I, maybe he needs to see a Dr or because he doesn't feel much of a man) then to his luck I fell ill and didn't need to give excuses for that, I had surgery may 2018 so then came the excuse as to why not sleep with me, (he didn't want to hurt me, months later it was the TV light bothers him, he snores and doesn't want to bother me) but all this time he showed he was loving and caring like I thought too good to be true type. come time to send his roc I started the petition in Feb 2019 which I sent, March 18 I get receipt letter he then was pushing for his sons petition which I was working on but hadn't sent because I needed a joint sponsor, he was under the impression that I sent it and all we are waiting on was permanent gc.. I started noticing him different in Feb he came telling me his wedding ring fell in sink while washing hands... Come April 18th he tells me that due to us not sleeping together we've distant ourselves therefore he started talking and seeing someone else for the last week, I come to find out it's been since Feb 2019 that he started talking to 3 women not just one ... If he wanted to be honest with me, why wait till I send the roc? That's all he did was wait for me to send the paperwork, mind you he tells me this one week before I was to have another surgery. He would also tell his son how he is sacrificing himself for him to have a better future and to wait for him (wait for him for what) ..Do I have something to fight for or will I waste my time? I really want an annulment rather than a divorce but will that have an effect? Everywhere I read it says just take it and move on... I just can't believe us as citizens don't have protection for this. 

I feel your pain & I am very sorry this happened to you.  Intimacy is an important part of a marriage/relationship.  You are probably not compatible there & yes he may have used you to gain something.  Like everyone else is saying, move on.  People like him will get the same pain coming back to him at some point in his life.  You are probably too kind-hearted, blinded by your love for him.  You deserve better for yourself, someone who can love you unconditionally.  It hurts now, however, move on, allow yourself time to heal, & find a loving & caring person to be in your life.  Hugs to you................

6 hours ago, mizliz79 said:

I forgot to mention that once he realized that I had not sent his sons aos petition he was worried and asked me to please continue with the process as if nothing happened and that he would sign whatever he needs to sign so I won't be liable for 10 years... He pretty much asked me to commit fraud in front of a immigracion officer 

Sorry . But as a woman we are supposed to have a sixth sense, clearly one feels and knows when they love and when they do not. 

You said you started the petition process in Feb 2019. So it’s still in the process . Wthat’s the step? May be you can do something. Think about that 🤔 

8 minutes ago, Eugenia2017 said:

Sorry . But as a woman we are supposed to have a sixth sense, clearly one feels and knows when they love and when they do not. 

hardly associated only with women, humans in general have innate sense for self protection 

13 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

hardly associated only with women, humans in general have innate sense for self protection 

You are correct in self protection but in the sixth sense or intuition the woman has more developed this sense Just a opinion! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am wondering if you EVER consummated the marriage..... This is one of the valid and acceptable reasons for an annulment.....  I'm just grasping for straws for you, but if he never told you about this problem before marriage and you get a good lawyer, you can try for this angle. I think each state views this differently 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, E & J 2018 said:

I am wondering if you EVER consummated the marriage..... This is one of the valid and acceptable reasons for an annulment.....  I'm just grasping for straws for you, but if he never told you about this problem before marriage and you get a good lawyer, you can try for this angle. I think each state views this differently 🤷‍♂️

It wouldn't matter.  Even an annulled marriage does not negate the I-864 or the green card.  You can still ROC on your own with a divorce waiver and an annulment and still become a USC. So if the OP feels better about an annulment they can go that route understanding that it doesn't change her husband's status. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just because you are bad at picking them, and he didnt want to have sex with you, doesnt mean it was fraud. how well did you know him? how much in person time was spent together? how was intimacy before? any red flags? age difference? religious difference? 

maybe it was fraud, maybe it wasn't. But without EVIDENCE (and lack of sex does not constitute evidence as there are a hundred reasons why people do not have sex and it doesnt mean they dont love each other or that its not a valid marriage) , it is a moot point. 

regardless, whats done is done. divorce and move on. he can file for ROC without you. 

To my knowledge, there is nothing here can say or do to absolve you from obligations under the 864 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.