VJmember2020

How we met document

44 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

does the petitioner AND beneficiary need their own copy of the document on how we met ? 

or does one document suffice? 

Thanks and sorry if this question has been asked before. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, the petitioner just needs to make a real basic explanation on how and when they met. Literally can be one or two lines or you can put "See attachment # .. " and use a separate page if desired.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
19 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

Hello all, 

does the petitioner AND beneficiary need their own copy of the document on how we met ? 

Both petitioner and beneficiary need to submit letters of intents to marry. Individually signed, but they can be digital copies. You do not in fact need "how we met" document, just a brief description for question 54 in part 2 of 129F

52 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

Hello all, 

There is no such required document.

Timeline

For the Circumstances of meeting.  The size of the r box on the form is an indication of the length of the response that the USCIS is expecting.  If your response exceeds the size on the form, maybe you need to rethink your reply

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My story of how we met and our "love story" was three pages long. I seen Youtube videos and others recommend more is better than less. If it is a fake marriage, it is easy to put one or two lines.  I probably overdid it but at least they won't ask for more information after reading the three pages.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Keep it simple. I wrote one word on that question... " McDonald's". We met at a McDonald's, that was it. No paper, no document one word. No problems.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 minute ago, Prisonmate said:

I probably overdid it but at least they won't ask for more information after reading the three pages.

They certainly could ask for more information after 'reading the three pages.'  Sending in unasked-for documents increases the risk for an RFE in many cases.

We didn't even describe how we originally met.  We just listed the dates of all of our visits, and provided the corresponding passport stamps.

The scope of the I-129f is not to provide evidence of a bonafide anything.  It is simply to establish that the petitioner meets the criteria to file it: USC, both parties currently free and intending to marry, and have met in person at least once in past two years.

That's it.  

No one at USCIS wants to suffer through pages and pages of unnecessary documents.

56 minutes ago, Prisonmate said:

My story of how we met and our "love story" was three pages long. I seen Youtube videos and others recommend more is better than less. If it is a fake marriage, it is easy to put one or two lines.  I probably overdid it but at least they won't ask for more information after reading the three pages.

Legal advice from YouTube. Neat. :)

More seriously, I get what you're saying. At the same time, I guarantee people engaging in a fake relationship for immigration purposes can easily write a 3 page love letter. That's probably one of the easiest documents they could provide.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

thanks all for the response 

Once my fiance enters the US, I understand that we have 90 days to get married. 

This basically means my fiance and I will go to a court house in Florida (or whichever state we plan to live in) and get legally married

Now in order to have a legal wedding, what do we need for that? 

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Prisonmate said:

YouTube is not the best source of immigration  information and not something I would ever rely on

1 minute ago, toothfixer said:

thanks all for the response 

Once my fiance enters the US, I understand that we have 90 days to get married. 

This basically means my fiance and I will go to a court house in Florida (or whichever state we plan to live in) and get legally married

Now in order to have a legal wedding, what do we need for that? 

Google the requirements for the state of choice,  50 different varieties 

YMMV

23 minutes ago, Prisonmate said:

Well, after giving details of how we met and summaries of my 5 trips visiting her, I'm not sure what more they can ask for.

The point is that all of that extra and unnecessary info can potentially open up a "can of worms."  We have seen here on VJ many examples of people who inadvertently caused themselves delays or RFEs that way, as it led to other questions, particularly at the embassy level.

USCIS instructions for completing forms is really the way to go, rather than YouTube.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.