VJmember2020

How we met document

44 posts in this topic

I wish the "how we met" thing would die.  You literally don't have to include that at any point - you have to provide proof and a short description proving how you meet the "physically in the same place at the same time in the last 2 years" requirement, not submit a 10 page document akin to "How I Met Your Mother" describing how you met/your whole relationship story.    At interview, you may be asked "how'd you meet?" (those I know who've been through interview already basically went with "we play the same online game and met on a facebook group for that" or "at the pub when we were in the same city" or whatever and that was that). 

I can understand for "tough" embassies wanting to front-load but from all accounts, proof of ongoing relationship via intermingled finances/visiting etc between submitting the petition and interview holds far more weight than manufactured "how we met"/"love story" documents before you get to that point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Seven off-topic posts have been removed by request.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline
20 hours ago, Prisonmate said:

Okay. You do it your way and I'll do it my way. What matters is the petition gets approve.

Read the 129 F instructions. It doesn't ask to provide proof that the relationship is real. All they ask is to show your proof that you met in the last 2 years in person. That's it. Save the documentation for your interview.

I realize that YouTube might sound helpful and I'm sure it is in many ways. But a lot of the members here have not just seen their own case; they have seen multiple cases throughout the years and they give the advice in what they feel will help you. If you wanted to do things your way no matter what anyone says... then why come and ask for advice? Doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Anyway, you should be good with a brief description on how you met on question 54. They just want to know how it started then skip to the part where you met in person X number of times in the last 2 years.

Trying to overcompensate can backfire. You're giving too much information that can lend to more questions from the officer or requesting additional evidence over something that could have been avoided.

Best of luck to you.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

I filed my K-1 and got approved with just : introduced by a common friend. If I were working for USCIS, I would just ignore the letter and got my work done base on official requirements.  3 pages explaining the growth of a relationship...for K-1, unless I am bored.

However, I do not see it a big deal to include that  ❤️  letter: it is just an unnecessary work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, nguoivietnam2019 said:

However, I do not see it a big deal to include that  ❤️  letter: it is just an unnecessary work.

Hang around here long enough and you will understand 

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, nguoivietnam2019 said:

will try my best :)  but...3 pages...probably I am just not  good with literature to even come up with 1/2 page.

Its not the uscis you have to worry so much about but the consulate.   People in their zeal to prove their relationship have made unfortunate statements in the letter or provide photo evidence that from a local customs standpoint makes them ineligible. 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Its not the uscis you have to worry so much about but the consulate.   People in their zeal to prove their relationship have made unfortunate statements in the letter or provide photo evidence that from a local customs standpoint makes them ineligible. 

Ah, you mean people talking too much about their relationship making them like a married couple rather than just engaged couple ~~~> this I have heard.  I assumed 3 pages with filtered info with some logical thinking.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 minutes ago, nguoivietnam2019 said:

will try my best :)  but...3 pages...probably I am just not  good with literature to even come up with 1/2 page.

The reality is what is being discussed is answer to Question 54, Part 2 of form 129F. It is not a very well defined question open to creative answers and interpretations. They want to know details about in person meeting, so it is pretty natural for people to elaborate. And then of course people abbreviate the topic of the question into "How we've met" which has slightly different connotations.

In reality, I do not believe anyone was ever denied because they wrote/send "too much" as their answer to Part 2, Q54, so annoyance about it seems to be confined to this board and meta-brain thinking "While adjudicator is reading 3 pages story, they are not busy stamping "Approved" on my petition!" 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Shiran said:

The reality is what is being discussed is answer to Question 54, Part 2 of form 129F. It is not a very well defined question open to creative answers and interpretations. They want to know details about in person meeting, so it is pretty natural for people to elaborate. And then of course people abbreviate the topic of the question into "How we've met" which has slightly different connotations.

In reality, I do not believe anyone was ever denied because they wrote/send "too much" as their answer to Part 2, Q54, so annoyance about it seems to be confined to this board and meta-brain thinking "While adjudicator is reading 3 pages story, they are not busy stamping "Approved" on my petition!" 

The petition is not the problem,  the problem is that the 3 to 50 page dissertation is in the hands of the consulate and their have been k1s denied because they were deemed "to married "

YMMV

I can't imagine anybody ever being denied because they wrote too much either.

But there certainly are people who wrote something that got themselves into trouble with either USCIS or the CO. I've said it before but it's worth saying again...you have the most powerful tool available to show your case: Barring required documents, you have the ability to only show what you want them to see.

I don't know what they have access to for security checks and such, but they aren't going through your emails, hacking your facebook/messenger/viber/whatever, etc. to investigate your relationship. Show a good case but nothing more. Far more often than should be the case, somebody submits a document that causes confusion or raises questions.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

1 or 2 sentences is all you need on how you met in the last 2 years nothing more. All they care about is that you met 1 time in the last 2 years so that you meet the requirement. Don't shoot yourself in the foot on accident because you can't follow the directions. If I was the person reading petitions i surely wouldn't read 3 pages  about your life story(not that your life story is bad or anything) especially not when it isn't required. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 6:29 PM, dxec said:

1 or 2 sentences is all you need on how you met in the last 2 years nothing more. All they care about is that you met 1 time in the last 2 years so that you meet the requirement. Don't shoot yourself in the foot on accident because you can't follow the directions. If I was the person reading petitions i surely wouldn't read 3 pages  about your life story(not that your life story is bad or anything) especially not when it isn't required. 

Understood. 

my fiance applied for a visiting visa twice and got denied both times,

we been "together" for 6 years and throughout our relationship I would have to go visit her in the UK... 

Should we include in the how we met section about why she wasn't able to come to the US? 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

Understood. 

my fiance applied for a visiting visa twice and got denied both times,

we been "together" for 6 years and throughout our relationship I would have to go visit her in the UK... 

Should we include in the how we met section about why she wasn't able to come to the US? 

Not relevant .  If your response to the circumstances of meeting section cannot fit on the space provided by the form,  then maybe you should rethink your response 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.