VJmember2020

How we met document

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anytime you have dealings with the government (USCIS, IRS, etc.), you treat them like a deposition.   You answer truthfully and give them only what's required.   Nothing more

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actual people who has gone through the process posted their experience on YouTube. It's not legal advise but nice to hear from people  that actually went thru the process.  Most of us are doing this for the first time. Hopefully, the first and last time. My relationship is a true relationship so if they need more info, I'm happy to give it.

Anecdotal evidence is fine, but also realize that no 2 cases are the same. Somebody else's circumstances are never your own, and you need to really know what you're doing to identify which circumstances are actually relevant and if the anecdotal advice being offered applies to your situation as well. One must also consider that there is no real peer review of the information or advice being offered.

Also, things change over time. One's experience is just a snapshot in time.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

YouTube videos are made by people that actually went through the process. It's not legal advise but legit views and hands on experience. If I get a RFE, I'll be surprise.

3 minutes ago, Prisonmate said:

YouTube videos are made by people that actually went through the process. It's not legal advise but legit views and hands on experience. If I get a RFE, I'll be surprise.

And many here are actual people who went through the process 😉

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Prisonmate said:

And any YouTube video that is  more than 6 mos. to a year old is likely no longer current as the process is fluid and changes periodically 

YMMV

Timeline

For a petition there is three kinds of evidence 

Primary

Secondary 

Fluff

Love letters are in the fluff category 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Keep it simple. I wrote one word on that question... " McDonald's". We met at a McDonald's, that was it. No paper, no document one word. No problems.

I just wrote the dates and places of every place we met prior to filing the I129-F. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, toothfixer said:

thanks all for the response 

Once my fiance enters the US, I understand that we have 90 days to get married. 

This basically means my fiance and I will go to a court house in Florida (or whichever state we plan to live in) and get legally married

Now in order to have a legal wedding, what do we need for that? 

Generally you go to the county seat office to get a marriage license.  Often both of you need to be there. Some counties make it difficult for aliens to be married. Some make it easy. 

After you get a license, seconds to days to weeks after, you are allowed to be married. If getting married at the county office / county court house you might have to bring your own witness(es) or the county might provide (often for a fee). 

The biggest consideration is how fast you can get the marriage certificate after getting married. At Los Angeles County it is 12 weeks and incredibly there are K-1 visa holders who refuse to acknowledge the risks of that. If it takes more than 5 working days to get the certificate then find another county to marry.  Honestly 2 working days in Santa Clara county was driving me crazy.  Huge relief when my wife had those documents waiting for me when I got home from work.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, toothfixer said:

thanks all for the response 

Once my fiance enters the US, I understand that we have 90 days to get married. 

This basically means my fiance and I will go to a court house in Florida (or whichever state we plan to live in) and get legally married

Now in order to have a legal wedding, what do we need for that? 

I am wondering if you think there is a difference between legally married and legal wedding. ???

You do not need a wedding with fancy clothes and flowers. Your state of choice will have it's own rules. You can get married in another state besides the one where you live, ...i.e. Vegas wedding.

Pick a county where you think you might get married and look at their website. It will likely explain how to get a license, how to schedule a judge to marry you, if there is any waiting requirement between getting the license and the I do's. My state requires 72 hours, but a judge can waive that. You don't have to get married in the courthouse. If you know a nice park or have a friend with a nice patio or boat, you can easily find people licensed to perform marriages, For a fee they will meet you anywhere and make it legal by signing off on your license. Then you take it in all signed to the place where you got the license and they record the marriage in the county record and issue a certified marriage certificate. 

Edited by Wuozopo

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I am wondering if you think there is a difference between legally married and legal wedding. ???

You do not need a wedding with fancy clothes and flowers. Your state of choice will have it's own rules. You can get married in another state besides the one where you live, ...i.e. Vegas wedding.

Pick a county where you think you might get married and look at their website. It will likely explain how to get a license, how to schedule a judge to marry you, if there is any waiting requirement between getting the license and the I do's. My state requires 72 hours, but a judge can waive that. You don't have to get married in the courthouse. If you know a nice park or have a friend with a nice patio or boat, you can easily find people licensed to perform marriages, For a fee they will meet you anywhere and make it legal by signing off on your license. Then you take it in all signed to the place where you got the license and they record the marriage in the county record and issue a certified marriage certificate. 

Ah, ok makes much more sense. thanks a bunch! really appreciate it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
23 minutes ago, toothfixer said:

Ah, ok makes much more sense. thanks a bunch! really appreciate it. 

If you just call up the county where you might get married, you may get more info than from the website which can be generic. My county listed SSN as required. Fiance called to ask what if my fiancé won't have a SSN? She said that was fine, his passport for photo ID would do. So you might pick up additional info by asking. I found out we could bring in the signed marriage license and they would record it while we waited and give us a certificate on the spot. The website estimated 3 weeks.

Edited by Wuozopo

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

If you just call up the county where you might get married, you may get more info than from the website which can be generic. My county listed SSN as required. I called to ask what if my fiancé won't have a SSN? She said that was fine, his passport for photo ID would do. So you might pick up additional info by asking. I found out we could bring in the signed marriage license and they would record it while we waited and give us a certificate on the spot. The website estimated 3 weeks.

perfect, I will call the counties and ask them the same thing. I really appreciate your help Wuozopo , i had one more question I will message you about. thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.