61 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Dejavudeji31 said:

What do you mean by uphill battle? 

It will not be easy to be approved for the visa. It is a high fraud consulate, and honestly your case could look fraudulent because you married on the first (short) visit.

You should know that petition approval and visa approval are two entirely separate things.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dejavudeji31 said:

What do you mean by uphill battle? 

Petition approval does not automatically translate into Visa approval 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dejavudeji31 said:

What is the best option for us to do?

Your wife should prepare all the necessary documents, including evidence of your one and only visit together (boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, wedding photos), and your marriage certificate, and file the I-130 as soon as possible.  It takes a least a year from filing the petition until your visa interview will be held in Nigeria, if all goes well with the petition and NVC stages.  In the year you are waiting, you need to do more visits to be together, in Nigeria, the US, or anywhere really.  Save the evidence of all those visits.  Submit the evidence of these additional visits at the NVC stage (called side-loading), and then take evidence of visits after that to the interview.  As an example, my husband and I were together for four visits before marriage and sent that evidence with the I-130 petition package.  Then we had three more visits between petition filing and submitting documents at NVC so we sent evidence of those trips to NVC.  Now we're waiting for his interview to be scheduled and he will take evidence of three more visits after the NVC stage to the interview, a total of ten visits by the time he has his interview.  So use the one year to see each other as often as you can, and submit all the evidence with the NVC package (about 7 or 8 months after I-130 petition filing), and take evidence of your visits after that to the interview (about 5 months after petition approval).  You have lots of time to do more visits.  For the Nigeria embassy, these visits are very important to increase the probability of approval.  Getting married on the first and only visit, as others have said, will most likely result in denial at the interview.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 hours ago, Dejavudeji31 said:

Is it possible for an individual to file petition for alien relative without an immigration lawyer?i need help please 

Yes it is, so long you take time to read and understand the process and also get information from people that have gone through same process.

Did you know her before you physically met? Through online or similar?   That could help your case look better.  The fact you got married without knowing eachother for longer than 2 weeks is a big red flag from a high fraud country.  

I would go to the Nigerian forum on this webpage to see if they have any further advise for you. 

Met in a magical castle in Poland through our mutual love for Harry Potter. Now can not wait to spend our lives together!

Married: 08/08/2016 in Leavenworth, WA on the lovely Voldemort Day!

Accio Visa!!

USCIS Stage

I-130 Sent to Phoenix: 09/14/2016
I-130 NOA1: 2016-09-21
Transferred to Texas

I-130 NOA2: 2016-10-11

Sent to NVC: 2016-10-25

NVC Stage

*Delayed due to 2.5 week trip to Copenhagen to visit the hubby!*

NVC Received: 2016-11-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2016-11-10

IV Bill Received: 2016-11-01

DS-261/AOS Bill Received: 2016-11-15

AOS Bill Paid: 2016-11-28

IV Bill Paid: 2016-11-28

DS-261 Submitted: 2016-12-01

AOS Package Sent: 2016-12-05

AOS/Support Documents Scan Date: 2016-12-14

NVC Sent to Supervisor Review: 2017-01-26

NVC Sent to review Department: 2017-02-10

NVC Case Complete: 2017-03-06

Embassy Stage - Stockholm

Interview Scheduled: 2017-04-11

Entered the Country: 2017-06-20

ROC:

Package Delivered to PHX/Recieved Date: 2019-04-19

Creditcard Charged for Case: 2019-04-24

Text of Recieved date: 2019-04-25

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

OP, do not rely on your marriage at first 'sight' solely for your eventual interview. Make sure you guys visit each other more before then; it can be a 3rd country visit. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 hours ago, Dejavudeji31 said:

You can file but make sure she visits before interview.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

You have about 6-8 months of waiting for the I-130 to be approved. Visit each other as many times as you can afford to do so in that time. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
22 hours ago, Dejavudeji31 said:

Well she's the one filing not me, am just filling the questionnaire,she will rewrite it in a new description before submitting  and am doing all these because she didn't have idea of immigration and Ive been taking my time to seek information before I locate this website in which am now benefiting on here

she needs to start researching and become familiar with this process 

It is very important that the USC knows all immigration expects of her

for instance,  if she gets a RFE notice ,  the work to provide needed information and supporting documents will be done here in the US by her

immigration will not be corresponding to you 

she has to know the poverty lines and the needed income for AOS

she needs to get the IRS transcripts for the I 864 when the case goes to NVC

she needs to upload documents to CEAC website

You can't do the above 

get her to use this site to as everyone here will walk her thru this

Timeline
On 5/9/2019 at 10:51 PM, BethyWink said:

Did you know her before you physically met? Through online or similar?   That could help your case look better.  The fact you got married without knowing eachother for longer than 2 weeks is a big red flag from a high fraud country.  

I would go to the Nigerian forum on this webpage to see if they have any further advise for you. 

we've been dating up-to two years before she finally came to Nigeria for marriage,we only talk on face time camera before her arrival in Nigeria 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/9/2019 at 6:56 AM, Dejavudeji31 said:

Since we're having marriage certificate,is she gonna use her maiden name or my surname as her last name?because I heard marriage certificate is an evidence of change of lastname of my wife? 

She will need to take the marriage certificate to the SSA to have her sur name changed. Then go to the DMV to update her state ID/license and send a form to the US State Department to have her passport updated. But she should also update all her accounts with her new sur name (bank, employer, etc). The IRS will get updated by the SSA. 

Timeline
On 5/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, Dejavudeji31 said:

Thank you,people that witnessed our marriage lives in Nigeria, and is it possible for her family members/friends that was not present in the wedding ceremony also make an avidavit? 

Yes. And include them with your 130. Doesn't have to be notarized but it wouldn't hurt. Keep copies of everything ypu send to the USCIS because USCIS doesn't forward your attachments of proof of relationship to the NVC. Which means it wont go to the embassy ahead or you taking them to your interview. So you want to have copies to take with you to the interview. 

Timeline
On 5/9/2019 at 7:55 AM, Dejavudeji31 said:

Thank you,what  if my physical address is only 1 since I was born, do I need to fill the address I provided in 1 under  physical address 2 and physical address 3 under i-130a  or I'll leave physical address 2 and 3 blanck?

Dont leave anything blank. Instead write  "N/A" 

Timeline
On 5/9/2019 at 8:19 AM, Dejavudeji31 said:

Hi. I am the same as you. I met my husband online. We chatted daily on whatsapp for 1.5 years. I went to visit him for 8 days where we were also married during that visit. I returned to the states and changed my sur name. A month later submitted the 130 and the k3 paperwork after (as it is an option). It took 7 months and we were approved by the USCIS. He has never been to America and i only been to Nigeria the one time when we were married. 

I submitted support letters from friends and family, 100 pages of chats from the beginning, middle, and current of our relationship, wedding pictures, pictures hanging out in Nigeria, emails between him and me and him and my family members. 

If she can come visit you more that will help especially when you get to the interview stage. 

Edited by CJO032418

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.