Chicago resident

I am house wife do not work so no joint account no joint utility bills no joint property deed

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How do you pay for groceries, or clothing, or anything you happen to want to

purchase while your husband is at work?  What happens if there was an emergency, you have no access to shared funds,  even a joint credit card?

If your husband owns the house, he can put you on the deed?

Honestly, you will need some sort of financial co-mingling.  It is not normal for one partner to be completely dependent on the other.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

exactly, just because you are a housewife doesn't mean anything. your husband can add you to any account, you don't have to work to have a joint bank account, or health insurance, or credit cards in both names

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Chicago resident said:

Hello I am a house wife residing in Chicago with me husband. I submitted i751 form on 7th July 2018. Really worried about my case as I don't have joint account joint utility bills and joint property deed with my husband 

MANY utilities will only list one name on the bill.  And lots of us do not have joint property deeds with our spouses because we owned the houses before we MET our spouses.  You do not have to have EVERY piece of evidence on the list - just enough for the officer to ascertain that you live together and do life together.

If you have other co-mingling data, then not having a joint deed will not be an issue.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

A good question is:

What did you send as proof of your ongoing marriage?

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
13 hours ago, Chicago resident said:

Hello I am a house wife residing in Chicago with me husband. I submitted i751 form on 7th July 2018. Really worried about my case as I don't have joint account joint utility bills and joint property deed with my husband 

1. Open new Joint checking account and start paying major bills from it OR ask your husband to add you on existing account which is used for paying atleast Rent / mortgage

2. Ask your husband to add you on credit cards as Authorized User (you can submit front and back of credit card)

3. Transfer one of Utility Bills to your name

4. Health / Auto Insurance showing both names (you and husband)

5. Life Insurance showing each other as Beneficiary

6. If your husband owns property, ask him to add you as Beneficiary incase of death (he can always change this after Green Card is approved).

N-400 Application Timeline :

Application sent via mail - April 15th  (Field office Dallas, TX)

NOA Receipt date - April 17th

Biometrics receipt - April 22th (appointment scheduled for May 14th)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Interview completed & Case approved - November 17th

Naturalization Ceremony (in January 2020 - waiting on notice)

Instead of focusing on what you don't have, focus on what you do have. What items do you have?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, sharin said:

1. Open new Joint checking account and start paying major bills from it OR ask your husband to add you on existing account which is used for paying atleast Rent / mortgage

2. Ask your husband to add you on credit cards as Authorized User (you can submit front and back of credit card)

3. Transfer one of Utility Bills to your name

4. Health / Auto Insurance showing both names (you and husband)

5. Life Insurance showing each other as Beneficiary

6. If your husband owns property, ask him to add you as Beneficiary incase of death (he can always change this after Green Card is approved).

The I-751 was filed in July 2018.  It's too late to start with new evidence at this point.  Sure looks suspicious that after almost years of marriage, they suddenly start commingling finances after a year of filing for ROC.  Not gonna work.  There is no history of commingling.  This is stuff that would have worked if done at the beginning of their marriage; not after the I-751 has already been submitted for 9-10 months.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

The I-751 was filed in July 2018.  It's too late to start with new evidence at this point.  Sure looks suspicious that after almost years of marriage, they suddenly start commingling finances after a year of filing for ROC.  Not gonna work.  There is no history of commingling.  This is stuff that would have worked if done at the beginning of their marriage; not after the I-751 has already been submitted for 9-10 months.  

Never too late to start, incase she gets RFE  - she has some evidences ready to go. It'll work for sure! ROC take 11+ month - she still has like 3-4 months remaining.

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, did you submit anything showing that you live at the same address?  Copies of both your driver's licenses?  Mail received at the same address?  USCIS will be looking for evidence that you live together.  What about health insurance? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It is the norm in the US to have joint accounts after getting married (even though some also keep a private savings, etc)

a quick claim deed can be added to put your name on the deed in Illinois although it is not a community property state meaning the assests before your marriage are his 

https://eforms.com/deeds/il/illinois-quit-claim-deed-form/

you can not be added to the mortgage (with most lenders) without doing a refinance (costly)

at the least he should add you to bank account

you should be on his medical insurance

and have driver's license with his address

Timeline
37 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

It is the norm in the US to have joint accounts after getting married (even though some also keep a private savings, etc)

a quick claim deed can be added to put your name on the deed in Illinois although it is not a community property state meaning the assests before your marriage are his 

https://eforms.com/deeds/il/illinois-quit-claim-deed-form/

you can not be added to the mortgage (with most lenders) without doing a refinance (costly)

at the least he should add you to bank account

you should be on his medical insurance

and have driver's license with his address

Actually it is pretty normal to have separate account, I added my spouse just to gather evidence which we're using for paying bills / rent etc since we got married. But we've multiple checking / saving accounts which are still separate. 

Also, it is normal to file separate taxes as married whichever gets your better tax savings specially if both spouse are self employed or own separate businesses. 

Plus, I have seen cases where couple don't reside together (maybe in different state doe to job) - that time it makes harder to merge finances too. 

Edited by sharin

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It is normal to have separate accounts.  However, most couples are not in the position of having to prove a bona fide marriage for ROC.  Immigration to the US requires PLANNING AHEAD.

Anyone with a conditional green card should be concern with ROC and providing evidence of a bona fide marriage.  That couple should get as many things as possible to show a life together.  24 months of joint bills.  24 months of joint accounts. 

Everything should be planned ahead of time.  Once you go through the immigration process to get a conditional green card as a new spouse, you shouldn't be naive to the requirements of the I-751.

Honestly I've yet to meet a couple that has had ONLY separate accounts. At the minimum, there's a joint account involved for shared resources per se, not necessarily for just bills but things for they may do together or as a family, and then separate accounts for their own money that they earn at their own respective jobs.

But yes, at the end of the day for immigration, immigration considers joint accounts as the normal, and if you go from K-1 to AOS to ROC you def have had time to know what they're looking for.

I've seen people blatantly refuse to get a joint account, I believe they were approved because they stated at the interview that that's how they do their finances and it works in their relationship, so it's not a make or break, it's just you need a good chunk of good proof to be able to offset not having a joint account.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.