blank0

B1/2 is a racket!

21 posts in this topic

This tourist visa process is ridiculous! My wife immigrated from Thailand (with help from this forum-thanks) in 2008 and has been a citizen since 2012. We followed the process flawlessly. There are no black marks on our record. She wants to bring her Sister for an 8 day visit in April. We filled out the DS-160 and her Sister met all of the stated requirements. She has no black marks on her record either. She has a good job, money in the bank, and a secure residence. The woman who interviewed her in Bangkok was rude and dismissive. She asked 4 questions and quickly denied her visa. Her Sister had supporting documents from her boss that the interviewer wouldn't even look at. When she asked why she was denied the interviewer said that she was not allowed to tell her. #######?!?! I have been in email and phone contact with the embassy and getting nowhere. Only told that we are welcome to apply again, and pay another $160.! This is just not right. If there was a problem we need to know what it was so we can fix it. How are we to proceed. It really looks like they are simply generating revenue with these applications. In reading through what I could find here we are not alone. If anyone has any pertinent information to offer please share.

Thanks, Jim

Timeline

Sent I-129 application package to CSC. 9/10/07

Received hard copy NOA1 09/27/07

Received email of I-129 approval 01/31/08

Received had copy NOA2 and notice that

petition has been sent to NVC 02/05/08

Received Packet 3 03/03/08

Returned Packet 3 to Emabassy 03/06/08

Interview 06/06/08

This is a long, painful story so I'll just say that Wilaiwan finally arrived in Seattle(in a blizzard) on 12/21/08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are no stated requirements to obtain a B.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

"..met all of the stated requirements.."

What requirements? 

The fact is, your sister in law (as with every other B2 applicant) has convince the CO she will return home. If a visa is denied, she obviously did not convince the CO. She could blame many other Thai (and all other) nationals before her who were granted a B2 and either forgot to return home, or overstayed, or changed status to something else after entering on a B2. She does get the opportunity to reapply, and she can. 

No one forced her to spend $160. She fully knew the risks of denial. 

Edited by WeGuyGal

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Any B2 visa applicant who has family (or a romantic interest) in the US has a very hard time overcoming the intent to immigrate hurdle, especially from countries where there is a history of B2 visa abuse by others.  The information that she has a sister in the US will be on any DS-160 that she completes when applying for a future B2 visa.  The requirement to show strong ties to return to Thailand will have to be extra-convincing in her case because of this.  Often the officer considering the application does not even consider additional evidence, they simply go by what is on the application form.  Another DS-160 with the same information as the last one is likely to be denied.  Unfortunately, this is the reality of trying to get a tourist visa from countries like Thailand.  My husband, who is waiting in Brazil for a CR-1 spousal visa, does not even apply for a B2 to visit me in the US, even though it would be great if he could, because we know he will most likely be denied so why spend the $160?  So I go and see him in Brazil, or we meet in other countries outside the US.  Most likely, your sister will have go to Thailand to visit her family if they can't get a B2 to visit her in the US.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You aren't the only one who has been angered by family members not receiving a visitor visa.

It is common that CO's do not ask to look over supporting documents. The only time I've ever personally heard of that happening is when the B visa is for a very specific event and not for visiting family.

In certain countries, being a single unmarried female often makes it harder. Also, in regards to any "black marks" on your record, that would not even be considered at all during the visitor visa process. It is entirely up to the applicant as an individual and the decision is made based on their DS-160 application and the interview alone.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

3 hours ago, bigsky said:

This tourist visa process is ridiculous! My wife immigrated from Thailand (with help from this forum-thanks) in 2008 and has been a citizen since 2012. We followed the process flawlessly. There are no black marks on our record. She wants to bring her Sister for an 8 day visit in April. We filled out the DS-160 and her Sister met all of the stated requirements. She has no black marks on her record either. She has a good job, money in the bank, and a secure residence. The woman who interviewed her in Bangkok was rude and dismissive. She asked 4 questions and quickly denied her visa. Her Sister had supporting documents from her boss that the interviewer wouldn't even look at. When she asked why she was denied the interviewer said that she was not allowed to tell her. #######?!?! I have been in email and phone contact with the embassy and getting nowhere. Only told that we are welcome to apply again, and pay another $160.! This is just not right. If there was a problem we need to know what it was so we can fix it. How are we to proceed. It really looks like they are simply generating revenue with these applications. In reading through what I could find here we are not alone. If anyone has any pertinent information to offer please share.

Thanks, Jim

As the others have said, what “stated requirements “?  There is no such list. She wasn’t able to convince the CO of what she needed to know, as simple as that. Before I immigrated, I successfully applied for 4 B visas for myself (the first two were only granted for one year each); my husband 2; older kid 2; younger kid 1. That’s 9 successful B visas for me and my family, over a period of years and different personal situations when applying. And all of those while I had a parent in the US, the last set for all of us while there was a petition pending. It’s not a “racket”, if it was we’d have been out too I’m sure.

3 hours ago, Amit&Julie said:

Blame all of the other people from Thailand who abused tourist visas and overstayed or didn't go home at all. They make it harder for everybody else. Best thing she can do is strengthen her ties to Thailand, if possible, and try again later, but there are no guarantees.  

I would tend to agree with this in general, although Thailand’s refusal rate is relatively low, at 22% so I don’t think that plays a big role in this instance. There must have been something specific in the sister’s application they didn’t like. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hmm, visitor's visa is one those visas where countries are 'punished' when people tend to overstay. Let's just say the CO was not convinced.

Edited by nastra30

In my personal opinion, I think people place too much expectation and high hopes when it comes to non-immigrant visas. I can see if it was an immigrant visa. But too many times we see people practically lose it when they are denied something like a B1/B2 when that type of visa is never guaranteed. One should approach applying for a B2 with cautioned expectation.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

11 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

In my personal opinion, I think people place too much expectation and high hopes when it comes to non-immigrant visas. I can see if it was an immigrant visa. But too many times we see people practically lose it when they are denied something like a B1/B2 when that type of visa is never guaranteed. One should approach applying for a B2 with cautioned expectation.

At the same time, we see silly overreactions in the face of personal denials. Things like - it’s all a money making racket, or someone here claiming that 80% of people at a particular embassy are denied and that the official data showing it’s actually a third of that are lies. 🙄 

Around 7 million B visas are issued annually. That’s a lot of successful visas.

I read many online forums where people freely admit to lying and carrying fake documentation to secure a B-visa. Some are desperate to get a visa, come what may. 

Therefore, COs have to be cautious about each applicant. No ties to home, no visa. COs are the first line of defense!

I-751 journey

DId OP's timeline flag change from Thai to Tajikistan? 

I-751 journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

DId OP's timeline flag change from Thai to Tajikistan? 

Yes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.