thinblueline

Sponsoring Sister (F4) Questions

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know I'm asking ahead of time (still have to attend my N400 Interview) but my 26 year old sister is hoping I can sponsor her for a green card once I receive my US Citizenship, and it has left me with more questions than answers (I have done everything so far without an attorney in my immigration process).

First, can I sponsor her for an F4 Visa (form I-130)? I know this is not a quick process, so is it really worth it for her?

Second, she is currently single (never married), should she get married after I-130 is filed, would that complicate things for her down the road? (She doesn't have plans to get married in the immediate future, but this process takes years)

Third, as she lives in Canada and close to the US Border, would day trips/vacations complicate things for her with a I-130 filed? Day trips are very common between the US and Canada. Travel between the US and Canada require little more than presenting your passport (or Nexus Card, which she has) at the border.

That being said, would she be better off coming in on a tourist visa (B2) and then requesting a AOS (form I-485)? Is the process any quicker or just as long as filing form I-130 with her in Canada? I figured she would not be allowed to leave the US while her application is pending.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

A person can not enter the US via a B2 with the intent to stay and adjust status......that is visa fraud.....so that is not an option.

Thank you, I did not know that, so that is not an option.

Yes it’s a long process - probably 15 years from now

whether it’s worth it is something only she can answer

Marriage makes no difference 

she could only contemplate a 485 when her PD is current anyway in 15 years or so (and as above she can’t enter on b with that intent, maybe if she has a h visa etc )

no way to speed it up, everyone takes their place in line and waits... and waits... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

aside that it is visa fraude, the petition, will take 14 years or more, who knows how long it will take in the end

you file the i130, and then forget about the petition, it will take years, a very long time for approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, thinblueline said:

Thank you, I did not know that, so that is not an option.

Unfortunately, the immigration process is not fast for anyone these days.  and it requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.....best wishes to you and your family....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Unfortunately, the immigration process is not fast for anyone these days.  and it requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.....best wishes to you and your family....

Thank you! She's been asking since I announced I received my N400 interview, and I thought I'd ask here first since I have received a lot of helpful information in my case. . . I'm willing to sponsor her, but with the time involved and different situation, I'm almost tempted to reefer her to an attorney in Canada specializing in US Immigration Law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

an attorney will make no difference, that;'s how long the process will take, an attorney can't do anything about it, you file once you get your naturalization certificate, and after 14 or 15 years, who knows, she will get an immigrant visa.

very simple with family petitions

The process for non-spousal family based immigration - assuming no edge cases, inadmissibilities, etc. - is pretty simple. It just takes a long time (~14+ years for Canada, currently).

It all begins with an I-130. That then waiting the ~14 years. There's no way to make that wait go any faster for a sibling petition.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

From a US perspective, a sibling is not considered enough of an immediate relative for a visa number be available right away. Unlike a spouse of a USC which you (the OP) used to get a green card. 

15 or so years for a sibling to get a green card. She can apply at the border to be admitted as a visitor, but no guarantees she'd be let in if CBP doesn't want her in. Forget the i485 for her. It's fraud to enter with a B2 to adjust status. 

So.. once you take the oath as a US citizen, you can petition her, and then wait. And wait. And wait some more!

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The 14 whatever years is how long people have been waiting who are getting their visa's now, the number being applied for has increased substantially so will the wait times.

File and forget, see if she interested in moving whenever that time comes due.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It'd be faster to hook her up with one of your USC friends  LOL

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Does she work in a field that would make her eligible for a TN visa? If so, she might want to do that for a while to see if she even likes living here. It’s not for everyone avd the grass isn’t always greener...especially considering how good Canadians have it with regards to healthcare and other social provisions. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.