KathCali

Mega Thread for All questions regarding Public Charge

196 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Seth And Quynh said:

So anyone hear about how the president is going to make it harder for legal residents to get greencards and citizenship just for using Obamacare? I only bought insurance for my wife through the exchange and it’s not a public benefit which makes no sense at all. Source is from nbc news someone fill me in.

"The new policy will go into effect on October 1. Under the directive, people applying for green cards based on their employment or for refugee and asylee relatives will be subject to an interview."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/28/politics/trump-administration-green-cards-interviews/index.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Seth And Quynh said:

So anyone hear about how the president is going to make it harder for legal residents to get greencards and citizenship just for using Obamacare? I only bought insurance for my wife through the exchange and it’s not a public benefit which makes no sense at all. Source is from nbc news someone fill me in.

it was suggested by Steve Miller from the white house. it is not a rule yet. other than that...it's hard to comment on something that has not happened. @Seth And Quynh you are better off waiting to see what happens. Don't bother to comment here, because there are biased to anything that is true and not good about this administration.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Reality does have a well-known liberal bias.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Hi guys!

I was reviewing some of the recently locked threads about these health care laws. I am NOT trying to rehash a political debate here but I do have a question. My husband and I married in April and we are adjusting from the K1, have been ready to be scheduled for the interview since May. I have always been on Obamacare since I turned 26 (before my husband came here) because I have never worked for a company that provides healthcare. I made too much for a subsidy previously. I've worked freelance for a few companies, but make over the poverty line and never needed a joint sponsor. 

Because I am now married to my husband and he can not work, my income falls into the category where I can be a subsidy recipient on Obamacare since I am supporting our family of 2. I spoke with many representatives of the affordable care act and the company with whom I have my healthcare with. I've been consistently told he is legally eligible because he is married to me and he was able to provide the requested documents. They wanted his I-94 as his main proof, along with his AOS NOA1 which we gave. No issue. Because these were okay, I thought that taking the subsidy would be fine because no US citizen/LPR would have an NOA1 for AOS

Did I read correctly that this could affect his permanent residency or naturalization later? Is this something that is already in place now or something that is in talks of happening going forward? I'm a little worried now.

Again....not trying to rehash a political debate. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

Hi guys!

I was reviewing some of the recently locked threads about these health care laws. I am NOT trying to rehash a political debate here but I do have a question. My husband and I married in April and we are adjusting from the K1, have been ready to be scheduled for the interview since May. I have always been on Obamacare since I turned 26 (before my husband came here) because I have never worked for a company that provides healthcare. I made too much for a subsidy previously. I've worked freelance for a few companies, but make over the poverty line and never needed a joint sponsor. 

Because I am now married to my husband and he can not work, my income falls into the category where I can be a subsidy recipient on Obamacare since I am supporting our family of 2. I spoke with many representatives of the affordable care act and the company with whom I have my healthcare with. I've been consistently told he is legally eligible because he is married to me and he was able to provide the requested documents. They wanted his I-94 as his main proof, along with his AOS NOA1 which we gave. No issue. Because these were okay, I thought that taking the subsidy would be fine because no US citizen/LPR would have an NOA1 for AOS

Did I read correctly that this could affect his permanent residency or naturalization later? Is this something that is already in place now or something that is in talks of happening going forward? I'm a little worried now.

Again....not trying to rehash a political debate. 

This is just something that is in talks. As of now spouse can have Obamacare with no repercussions. In all honesty IF they do put it in to place...which no one really knows...would the law start from the date its put into effect or would they be able to back date it so to say. No one really knows. Health care is important though and you guys really should be covered if you aren’t/thinking about it.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

9 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

This is just something that is in talks. As of now spouse can have Obamacare with no repercussions. In all honesty IF they do put it in to place...which no one really knows...would the law start from the date its put into effect or would they be able to back date it so to say. No one really knows. Health care is important though and you guys really should be covered if you aren’t/thinking about it.

Yep, we have been covered since after the wedding. Thank you so much for clarifying! After doing more research it seems we are okay....for now. It will ultimately depend on if they go back and in that case, there wouldn't be anything we could do since we have been on it for months already. I guess we will just wait and see! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hello everyone, I found this article  today "https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931"

I recently obtained my conditional green card in may. I'm married to a USC who had a child before with another USC. My wife and my stepdaughter have their health insurance from the state while I'm insured by my job. She has a WIC card for my stepdaughter (I don't know why). Now I'm wondering if my future ROC and the rest of my immigration proceedings can be denied because of those

You're too late to this party. 

This has been discussed

A lot. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

I work in the health policy arena in Washington, DC. What I am about to say is NOT politics, it is a legitimate proposal being floated by the Trump Administration (there are news reports, as well, on this). There is concern that if you take a subsidy, even as a legal resident, under Obamacare that it could impact your ultimate residency status. While it is not the way it works right now, the Attorney General, who instituted the separation policy with the children, has floated a new immigration policy that would deny people from adjusting their status to permanent residency or try to get your naturalization if they have EVER taken a subsidy or federal funding for anything, even if it is legal. (This would include subsidies for Obamacare, Medicaid, even Social Security.) This current Administration has been very unpredictable, but this is an actual policy on which the Administration is working. This is a Draconian policy and it could come up with legal battles and other resistance on Capitol Hill, but I would steer clear of these subsidies until after this Administration is gone. Again, this is not about my personal political position, but simply about ensuring that you steer clear until your spouse already has permanent residency, are naturalized, or at least until this Administration is in office.

Here is the link about the story. Apparently this was in yesterday's Washington Post, which I did not see, but it says that DHS is responsible for the possible change in policy. I do know that the AG has floated this idea in the past so this isn't just out of the blue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/made-by-history/wp/2018/08/09/now-the-trump-administration-is-trying-to-punish-legal-immigrants-for-being-poor/?utm_term=.a65743d3126d

Best of luck!

Edited by JackG

33 minutes ago, JackG said:

I work in the health policy arena in Washington, DC. What I am about to say is NOT politics, it is a legitimate proposal being floated by the Trump Administration (there are news reports, as well, on this). There is concern that if you take a subsidy, even as a legal resident, under Obamacare that it could impact your ultimate residency status. While it is not the way it works right now, the Attorney General, who instituted the separation policy with the children, has floated a new immigration policy that would deny people from adjusting their status to permanent residency or try to get your naturalization if they have EVER taken a subsidy or federal funding for anything, even if it is legal. (This would include subsidies for Obamacare, Medicaid, even Social Security.) This current Administration has been very unpredictable, but this is an actual policy on which the Administration is working. This is a Draconian policy and it could come up with legal battles and other resistance on Capitol Hill, but I would steer clear of these subsidies until after this Administration is gone. Again, this is not about my personal political position, but simply about ensuring that you steer clear until your spouse already has permanent residency, are naturalized, or at least until this Administration is in office.

Thanks for the update. It would be too late to drop it now because we have already been taking the subsidy for the past few months and as a USC, I often regret forcing my husband to come here 😕 I hope this is resisted from our politicians because healthcare should not be a privilege, but a RIGHT. I can't imagine people allowing this to happen because we have been doing something 100% legal. How can they turn around and say we are at fault? So sad....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.