Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Well.. i just checked in for my flight but couldnt print my boarding pass.. Apparently i have been selected for secondary screening ._. Now im even more anxious and wonder if it has to do because ive been to the us for 2 months until october 31st... Did anyone else expierence this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you go for he secondary screening, just be honest to every question asked. I've been to secondary screenings a couple of times due to my past long stays. Screening lasted over an hour. As I said before, be honest with your answers. Good luck.

®️

1 hour ago, Valmabe said:

If you go for he secondary screening, just be honest to every question asked. I've been to secondary screenings a couple of times due to my past long stays. Screening lasted over an hour. As I said before, be honest with your answers. Good luck.

thank you, im just worried that they wont even let me board the plane. Idk. I was afraid of flying but I got used to it. The only anxiety i have now is dealing with immigration and security. The thing is, i know im doing everything legal and I am always prepared, but idk im afraid of someone having a bad day and they wont let me spend christmas with my fiance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Toastbear said:

thank you, im just worried that they wont even let me board the plane. Idk. I was afraid of flying but I got used to it. The only anxiety i have now is dealing with immigration and security. The thing is, i know im doing everything legal and I am always prepared, but idk im afraid of someone having a bad day and they wont let me spend christmas with my fiance.

I understand you, I've got the same feelings on my last visit. have a safe flight.

®️

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I flew to the US on my Greek Passport in December. I have dual citizenship, SA and Greek. The lady just asked me where I was going and then told me to do the fingerprints. Huge relief!! Felt a lot more confident now after the approval too. I am going again in April, giving a 2 month break in between. Any advice? I have ESTA as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I (beneficiary) went to the US to visit my fiance (sponsor) over Christmas 2018 and I brought so many documents that proved that I have still bonds to Germany. For example my work contract, the exam plan of my university, an immatriculation certificate (since I am still a student) etc. as well as pictures of my fiance and me, a copy of our I-129f and NOA-1 (these were the visa documents we had so far).

The plane landed in Boston Logan and I was super nervous when it was my turn to talk to the officer at customs. He looked at my passport, asked me whom I am visiting and if I had any food in my bag. I replied to everything and prepared to show him all of my evidence that I would return to Germany, but he just said "Have a nice day." I was so happy that I wished him a merry Christmas :D He didn't even want to see any of my documents. Super easy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

My fiance's arrival at JFK earlier this month went very well! Just three questions: how long he was staying, purpose of his trip, and how much cash he was carrying. We're just doing a 16-day visit this first time. I will be slightly more nervous about his arrival for his second trip this summer, since that will be a two-month trip. But it really should be fine. I think. I hope. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I flew in to LAX on February for 11th. I'm visiting for 5 weeks. The officer asked the purpose of my visit, how long I'd be staying and then just said "Have a good time, don't be silly and get married while you're here". Didn't ask to see any of my documents proving I was returning to Australia. I think the main thing is just be honest, don't try and hide that you have fiancé in the US (because they will know!). 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all -- new to the community and also the visa process. This place has been an invaluable resource, so thank you.

We had our NOA1 in January and are now just playing the waiting game. I'm visiting America in April as the UK beneficiary of the K1 visa, and have a valid ESTA. I've been travelling to the US for many years and have only ever stayed for a maximum or two weeks at a time - always on an ESTA. 

I'm prepared that there's a chance I might be turned away, but I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be to minimise that chance if possible.

I'm a freelancer, but do have an employment contract of sorts. Would this be sufficient for proof of work commitments tying me to my home country? Is it best to be upfront about why I'm coming in to the country - i.e. say that I'm visiting my fiance and have applied for K1 visa? Or do I just state that I'm there for a holiday (also true) and have a flight home booked on X date? I don't want to appear as though I am trying to hide anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Edited by Howins
Typo

On 3/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Howins said:

Hi all -- new to the community and also the visa process. This place has been an invaluable resource, so thank you.

We had our NOA1 in January and are now just playing the waiting game. I'm visiting America in April as the UK beneficiary of the K1 visa, and have a valid ESTA. I've been travelling to the US for many years and have only ever stayed for a maximum or two weeks at a time - always on an ESTA. 

I'm prepared that there's a chance I might be turned away, but I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be to minimise that chance if possible.

I'm a freelancer, but do have an employment contract of sorts. Would this be sufficient for proof of work commitments tying me to my home country? Is it best to be upfront about why I'm coming in to the country - i.e. say that I'm visiting my fiance and have applied for K1 visa? Or do I just state that I'm there for a holiday (also true) and have a flight home booked on X date? I don't want to appear as though I am trying to hide anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

I was in a similar situation when I traveled, as I was my own boss (I run a company with my brother).

1) I think it actually helped, as I was able to explain why I could take relatively regular trips to the US (major job for a client ended, could fit in a break).
2) Don't say that you're visiting fiance unless they ask. Reason for trip is "vacation". If they ask where you're staying, give them the city, etc. Only if they ask who you are staying with do you need to tell them its your fiance. This isn't hiding anything. When I did once get questioned further (on a trip before applying for k1) and said I was visiting my girlfriend (as she then was) they didn't give me any problems about lying, as I volunteered this information as soon as they asked who I was visiting.
3) Since I had no employment contract etc, I took some other documents to show I would be returning home

i) my NOA1 and my entire file of k1 documents. This showed I was well into the k1 process, had no reason to believe that I'd be denied (had police certificates etc showing all clear), and therefore it was very unlikely I'd overstay when I had a perfectly good path to US residency and had already invested several hundred dollars on that.
ii) V5 for my car. Showed that I still had ties to the UK that needed to be wound up before my move
iii) Return ticket doesn't count for too much as its a requirement of entry on ESTA I believe, so even if you intended overstaying you'd have one. Plus its often cheaper to buy a return that one way. But often I did have other flights booked up after my return from the US (my brother lives in Portugal, so I normally had UK/Portugal flights booked). I took print outs of these, as they would show that I had plans for travel etc after my return to the UK.

Most likely you'll find that you're not asked too much at all, and don't need any of these docs, assuming this trip isn't right after a previous one, and you're only staying 2-4 weeks.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, Limey said:

I was in a similar situation when I traveled, as I was my own boss (I run a company with my brother).

1) I think it actually helped, as I was able to explain why I could take relatively regular trips to the US (major job for a client ended, could fit in a break).
2) Don't say that you're visiting fiance unless they ask. Reason for trip is "vacation". If they ask where you're staying, give them the city, etc. Only if they ask who you are staying with do you need to tell them its your fiance. This isn't hiding anything. When I did once get questioned further (on a trip before applying for k1) and said I was visiting my girlfriend (as she then was) they didn't give me any problems about lying, as I volunteered this information as soon as they asked who I was visiting.
3) Since I had no employment contract etc, I took some other documents to show I would be returning home

i) my NOA1 and my entire file of k1 documents. This showed I was well into the k1 process, had no reason to believe that I'd be denied (had police certificates etc showing all clear), and therefore it was very unlikely I'd overstay when I had a perfectly good path to US residency and had already invested several hundred dollars on that.
ii) V5 for my car. Showed that I still had ties to the UK that needed to be wound up before my move
iii) Return ticket doesn't count for too much as its a requirement of entry on ESTA I believe, so even if you intended overstaying you'd have one. Plus its often cheaper to buy a return that one way. But often I did have other flights booked up after my return from the US (my brother lives in Portugal, so I normally had UK/Portugal flights booked). I took print outs of these, as they would show that I had plans for travel etc after my return to the UK.

Most likely you'll find that you're not asked too much at all, and don't need any of these docs, assuming this trip isn't right after a previous one, and you're only staying 2-4 weeks.

Thank you - this was so helpful (and reassuring!)

V5 is such a good idea - didn't even cross my mind. 

I am planning to visit my fiancé next month, we apply in February. But I am afraid of being rejected because I renew my passport after my divorce, and in the previous one I have the current visa but with the previous name of married. Would this be a problem?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thank you so much for this.... It really helped me.  Its very hard to understand all the information out there.  Info over-load.

Michele J. Mueller

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.