Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can you travel by Boat? Meet somewhere like Mexico where you do not need to fly?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 6/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, BBGG said:

Just sharing my experience of crossing the US border recently.

We got our NOA1 on Apr 18, 2019, I (Russian alien fiancée) had to travel for work to the US on June 15, 2019 (NOA2 not received yet).

Crossed the border in Seattle Tacoma airport quickly with no problem.

Questions:

- Purpose of visit - Work

- Duration of stay - 9 days

Welcome to the US, stamp, go.

That's fantastic. Fingers crossed for my beloved fiance on his upcoming trip.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I have been in a relationship with my fiancee for 1 year now and we have visited one another 10 times within the past year, not only in the Netherlands and the USA, but also in other countries. None of us have encountered any problems so far.

So far I have been to the USA 3 times, in January 2019, March 2019 and May 2019.

I made sure to have a return ticket and to be prepared to explain the situation without hesitation, should I be asked to, however, I didn't need to do either. 

My first encounter with the CBP in January was quick, they took a picture of me and took my fingerprints as this was my first visit to the USA ever. No complicated questions asked. During my January visit we filed the I-129F together. After filing the I-129F, I did consult my future visits with an immigration lawyer who provided me with a letter describing the current situation (K-1 visa) and vouching for me not to overstay my ESTA and advised me to tell the truth if CBP would ask me why am I coming to the USA (not that I would lie to them otherwise, anyway!).

In March I walked to the CBP with the lawyer's letter in my pocket and I was terribly nervous but I was lucky to bump into a very friendly officer who thought it was cute I was visiting my girlfriend. He asked me if I were bringing her any gifts and please don't tell him the only gift I was bringing was myself. So I replied that I did manage not to rob a bank on my way to the airport so I didn't carry 10,000 USD in cash and he just laughed at it and wished me a pleasant stay. 

When entering the USA last May, I met the most uninterested CBP so far, who only asked me 3 of the standard 5 or 6 questions, it didn't seem to me he paid any attention to my answers and I was free to proceed into my fiancee's arms :)

Ah and I didn't need to use the lawyer's letter either.

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Timeline
On 7/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, ltav89 said:

Hello,

I'm in a same sex relationship. My fiance has his interview on August 1st in the Dominican Republic. We have been talking for 1 year and 6 months. I have visited him once this past December and filed the I-129 form in January. We were approved off course, but now he keeps insisting that I should go with him to the interview because it will give him a higher chance of being approved. The problem is I am deeply afraid of flying. He tried getting a visitor's visa because of this, but was denied, which is why I had to fly there instead. I had not flown in 8 years prior to that due to my fear of heights. We have proof of our ongoing relationship, but I am not sure if that will be enough. I'm thinking about taking a plane from Orlando since it is the shortest fly time to the DR. I don't know what else to do. I've read the comments on country specific page and because it is a high fraud country, people say the petitioner should always be present. Just thinking about getting on a plane again gets me anxious. Gay marriage is not legal in the DR, which is why we're not married yet. I want him to come to the US. What are your opinions on this? And please don't just say take a xanax. What if I go see a doctor and send a letter as proof of my phobia? 

I see you're in New Jersey, so I guess it would be quite a drive/train trip to Florida, but have you considered flying from FL to DR? Or how about taking a boat from Florida? Good luck!

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

13 hours ago, jeaniecz said:

I see you're in New Jersey, so I guess it would be quite a drive/train trip to Florida, but have you considered flying from FL to DR? Or how about taking a boat from Florida? Good luck!

Yes I have. I booked a flight from Orlando to Santo Domingo, not sure if i'm going though.

Timeline

How about you have a friend or family member come with you?  This is not supposed to be an equivalent to taking a xanax, but hopefully might help you. 

I cannot evaluate the risk/benefit of your presence or absence during the interview, but if people who are familiar with the specifics of DR say you'd better be there, then I guess if I were in your shoes I would feel like I should be there. Good luck! 

On 7/16/2019 at 10:31 AM, jeaniecz said:

How about you have a friend or family member come with you?  This is not supposed to be an equivalent to taking a xanax, but hopefully might help you. 

I cannot evaluate the risk/benefit of your presence or absence during the interview, but if people who are familiar with the specifics of DR say you'd better be there, then I guess if I were in your shoes I would feel like I should be there. Good luck! 

I consulted a psychiatrist and he prescribed xanax. 

So my fiancée (sponsor) and I (beneficiary) got our NOA2 today. 2 weeks ago I booked flights from the UK to go visit her. I was under the impression visits are ok as long as you can prove your returning home. But my flights will now be 5/6 weeks after NOA2 and I was wondering if it’s still a good idea to travel? 

Any help is is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, matt1wardhaugh said:

So my fiancée (sponsor) and I (beneficiary) got our NOA2 today. 2 weeks ago I booked flights from the UK to go visit her. I was under the impression visits are ok as long as you can prove your returning home. But my flights will now be 5/6 weeks after NOA2 and I was wondering if it’s still a good idea to travel? 

Any help is is greatly appreciated.

I assume you're a UK citizen and using ESTA to enter the USA? Proof of a return flight is a requirement, so its not necessarily amazing evidence that you plan to return home. Often (bizarrely) return flights are cheaper than one-way flights (I like many actually therefore bought a return flight when I did eventually move to the USA for good).

I'd be surprised if you have any problems assuming you haven't spent too much time in the USA prior to the trip, and the trip isn't for a very long duration (I assume it isn't if you're going to be 5-6 weeks after NOA2). I'd be most worried about fitting your medical and interview around it!

If you think about it from the USCIS border officer's point of view, its very unlikely you're going to overstay or get married during the trip when you're this far into doing the k1. If you have interview/medical arranged by the time of your trip bring evidence of that along too. It would make absolutely no sense to get this far, have those all arranged, and then decide to stay in the USA without completing the k1 process. The normal advice is don't mention anything about a fiancee and k1 unless asked about who you are visiting and why - if you haven't made frequent long trips then its more than likely they won't even ask. But if they do, the evidence of how far you are through the k1 should be enough to convince them you'll return home as planned.

I made several trips after NOA1, and NOA2 came during my last trip prior to moving permanently. They never asked on any of those trips who I was visiting, but had they done so eg during the last trip, I'd have explained that I'm well through the k1 process, and sorting out final plans for wedding venue, etc. The only issue I ever had entering the USA was before we started k1 process (my wife was still waiting for her divorce) and the USCIS officer said to me I needed to look at something more permanent, alluding to the k1. The fact that I mentioned k1 by name, and said that we were waiting for her divorce to be finalized before applying seemed to be enough to convince him that we'd researched it and were going to take the proper path to marrying in the USA.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

27 minutes ago, Limey said:

I assume you're a UK citizen and using ESTA to enter the USA? Proof of a return flight is a requirement, so its not necessarily amazing evidence that you plan to return home. Often (bizarrely) return flights are cheaper than one-way flights (I like many actually therefore bought a return flight when I did eventually move to the USA for good).

I'd be surprised if you have any problems assuming you haven't spent too much time in the USA prior to the trip, and the trip isn't for a very long duration (I assume it isn't if you're going to be 5-6 weeks after NOA2). I'd be most worried about fitting your medical and interview around it!

If you think about it from the USCIS border officer's point of view, its very unlikely you're going to overstay or get married during the trip when you're this far into doing the k1. If you have interview/medical arranged by the time of your trip bring evidence of that along too. It would make absolutely no sense to get this far, have those all arranged, and then decide to stay in the USA without completing the k1 process. The normal advice is don't mention anything about a fiancee and k1 unless asked about who you are visiting and why - if you haven't made frequent long trips then its more than likely they won't even ask. But if they do, the evidence of how far you are through the k1 should be enough to convince them you'll return home as planned.

I made several trips after NOA1, and NOA2 came during my last trip prior to moving permanently. They never asked on any of those trips who I was visiting, but had they done so eg during the last trip, I'd have explained that I'm well through the k1 process, and sorting out final plans for wedding venue, etc. The only issue I ever had entering the USA was before we started k1 process (my wife was still waiting for her divorce) and the USCIS officer said to me I needed to look at something more permanent, alluding to the k1. The fact that I mentioned k1 by name, and said that we were waiting for her divorce to be finalized before applying seemed to be enough to convince him that we'd researched it and were going to take the proper path to marrying in the USA.

Hey Limey, cheers for the solid answer. 

Yeah i’d entering on an ESTA, hopefully I can schedule my interview and medical around it.

I’ve not had any problems so far entering the states, simple questions and simple answers thankfully.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a totally stupid idea.

Thanks again

1 minute ago, matt1wardhaugh said:

Hey Limey, cheers for the solid answer. 

Yeah i’d entering on an ESTA, hopefully I can schedule my interview and medical around it.

I’ve not had any problems so far entering the states, simple questions and simple answers thankfully.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a totally stupid idea.

Thanks again

Yeah, lots here have done this and virtually no one has problems.

Since its probably your last trip before final move, there is a temptation to bring things that you'll leave in the USA permanently, but be careful with that - don't want to bring anything that makes it look like you'll be staying.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I wasn't asked a thing when I came over to visit during my K1 process until the last visit. We just happened to get our NOA2 the night before I flew out and when I got to the immigration desk, I was there for a while with rapid fire cross questioning and much searching and clicking away at the screen by the IO.  I really thought he was going to send me back. I had TONS of proof of my ties in the UK - letter from employer, lease, bank statements, and I forget what else. He asked if I had them, one by one, but when I said yes, as soon as I reached into my folder he shook his hand to dismiss me.  I was so much more relaxed about that trip knowing we were approved as I assumed that it wouldn't make sense after me going home every time without issue, that this would flag any concerns. Especially being so close to the end of the visa application process. But I was wrong. 

I think some of it comes down the the officer you speak to.  One thing I've learned with USCIS is never to assume anything.  Well, anything except that everything takes a long time lol 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

Maybe a dumb question, so forgive me in advance. 

Family reunion is taking place in USA beginning of Sept. Would love to be able to attend. NOA2 has been received. No interview date as of yet. Assuming that my interview will be late Sept, would it be acceptable to go to the USA for a visit and then to my interview? (Eg. Enter USA Sept 1st and then interview in MTL at the end of Sept and return to USA once approved). 

Having a tough time explaining my scenario. My home in Canada is further away from the embassy than my intended destination in the USA. Would it be frowned upon to visit the USA until my scheduled interview? 

Hoping I am making sense....

thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have the Medical as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.