C&AH

Uninformed Opinions Outsiders

37 posts in this topic

Hello. Forgive me if this isn't the right forum to post this slight vent but how many people you know have given opinions to you about this process?

Today, I reconnected with an old friend who asked what I've been up to lately. Without going into detail,  I just told him that I'm spending time with my wife in the DR on and off until we get her home to the States.  "Good luck with that," he replied then went on to say that he has a sister in law who has been 8 years trying to get her husband to the US from Morocco and a friens with a wide in tge Philippines that has bee. 7 years with no luck. That was one of several opinions. 

A pastor told me it took a friend 3 years (turns out the petitioner friend is a US resident).

A coworker said it took her US citizen brother 3 years to get his wife from Colombia. 

Other coworkers are constantly asking if my wife is here yet amd can't seem to understand why not. 

Quite honestly, I don't want to talk to anyone about this (fellow VJers excepted because you understand). 

The last thing I need right now is negativity.  It is difficult enough as it is. Most people who share opinions are usually those who have no clue what they are talking about and will offer those opinions without being asked.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 minutes ago, C&AH said:

Hello. Forgive me if this isn't the right forum to post this slight vent but how many people you know have given opinions to you about this process?

Today, I reconnected with an old friend who asked what I've been up to lately. Without going into detail,  I just told him that I'm spending time with my wife in the DR on and off until we get her home to the States.  "Good luck with that," he replied then went on to say that he has a sister in law who has been 8 years trying to get her husband to the US from Morocco and a friens with a wide in tge Philippines that has bee. 7 years with no luck. That was one of several opinions. 

A pastor told me it took a friend 3 years (turns out the petitioner friend is a US resident).

A coworker said it took her US citizen brother 3 years to get his wife from Colombia. 

Other coworkers are constantly asking if my wife is here yet amd can't seem to understand why not. 

Quite honestly, I don't want to talk to anyone about this (fellow VJers excepted because you understand). 

The last thing I need right now is negativity.  It is difficult enough as it is. Most people who share opinions are usually those who have no clue what they are talking about and will offer those opinions without being asked.

Just do like I do, do not tell anyone, anything private. If they ask I just tell them to leave it alone and change the subject.

remember it is basic human nature for someone to have to speak , regardless if it is good or bad.

the easiest way to acoid this is to keep your private life...... private.

People usually don't know what they are talking about and think they are experts just because they knew someone who did this or that, and think everyone else is the same. It will be of no benefit to have discussions with these people about your situation, and if it was me I would make sure they mind their own business.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
43 minutes ago, C&AH said:

I have supportive friends and family who I trust and can talk openly with about this long difficult process.  But I know others who could not handle the responsibility of giving me the moral support that I need for this decision in my life, so I know it is best for me to keep them in the dark.   I have not shut them entirely out of my life, but I do avoid this discussion.   They will eventually know after my fiancee is with me in the US, but right now there is nothing they can do to help me, so they will need to wait to know...

Edited by JoelThai

It doesn't help that people have become K1 visa "experts" from that reality TV show on TLC that has some completely incorrect information on it.

Just focus on what you are doing. We can't change the opinions of others.

No 2 cases are the same, especially when different countries, time periods, etc. are considered. Comparing your case with another's does no good. Somebody else comparing theirs against yours does no good.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

As long as your relationship is real and you did it all legally there isn't anything to worry about.  Some take longer because of the country the person is from. Bad paperwork...no paperwork or birth certificate exct.  From what I seen your case shouldn't take long. No danger country. Just relax and enjoy each other the way you can and ignore other people cause they have no clue what they are talking about. 

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Transferred? California Service Center on 2017-03-07
Consulate :  
I-129F Sent : 2017-02-28
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-03-07
I-129F RFE(s) :  
RFE Reply(s) :  
I-129F NOA2 : 2017-06-16
NVC Received : 2017-06-29
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2017-06-29
NVC Left : 2017-07-06
Consulate Received : 2017-07-12
Packet 3 Received : 2017-07-13
Packet 3 Sent : 2017-07-14
Packet 4 Received : 2017-07-20
Interview Date :

2017-08-17

Approved  2017-08-25

Flying  Sept 8th 

Everybody has their own understanding of the immigration process. Just don't let it get to you.

**N-400** 06-27-2018 : N-400 online & NOA1 || 07-07-18 : received Bio Appt e-mail notification || 07-27-18 : Biometrics reviewed || 09-25-18 : OFFICIAL 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY || 11-06-18 : Interview 

|| 12-18-2018 : APPROVED; in line to be scheduled for Oathtaking || 02-11-19 : OATHTAKING CEREMONY --

**ROC** (pending)  07-26-2017 : I-751 sent || 07-31-2017 : NOA1 || 09-05-2017 : Biometrics || 08-09-2018 : Case transferred to local office || 12-18-2018 : Card in production || 12-26-18 : received GC --

**AOS/EAD/AP** 02-20-2015 : AOS filed || 02-24-2015 : NOA1 || 03-19-2015 : Biometrics || 04-30-2015 : EAD&AP approved || 05-05-2015 : EAD&AP received || 09-25-2015 : Conditional GC approved || 10-02-2015 : GC received --

**K-1** 08-12-2014 : I-129F Sent || 08-14-2014 : NOA1 || 09-03-2014 : NOA2 || 09-10-2014 : Petition transferred from USCIS to NVC || 09-18-2014 : NVC received || 09-24-2014 : US Embassy MNL received our case || 10-14-2014 : Medical Exam done! || 10-23-2014 : Interview || 10-31-2014 : Passport & Visa on hand --

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, C&AH said:

LOL everybody goes through that.  Ignore 'em.  Every case is unique in its own way but the vast majority process through like clockwork with similar experiences and similar timelines.

We watch the silly 90 day fiancé show for the laughs and the drama, not to learn anything about the immigration process. 

2 hours ago, Wilma77 said:

As long as your relationship is real and you did it all legally there isn't anything to worry about.  Some take longer because of the country the person is from. Bad paperwork...no paperwork or birth certificate exct.  From what I seen your case shouldn't take long. No danger country. Just relax and enjoy each other the way you can and ignore other people cause they have no clue what they are talking about. 

Yes. You are right. Dominicans traditionally do not have trouble. Thank you for your words of encouragement. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

OP, I'd follow what most have already said here and tell your "friends" to politely mind their own business. Many of my so-called friends thought my relationship with a Thai woman was odd and they also told me she was just in it for the money. Can you imagine how that felt? Anyway, the point is, people will have their opinions about your relationship, immigration stuff, etc. only if you give them enough information to let them form an opinion. It also helps to trust in your relationship and know that it's real. Everything else is just the "small stuff." 

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I agree with everyone else on here. @narakthisud is right, I have had many of my friends tell me my Thai Fiancee is in it for the money, she is just using you for a green card, I don't see that at all, but they just assume. I just received my NOA2 on my K1 and am hoping to have her here with me in November. I just ignore the haters, and most of my friends don't bring it up much other than to ask how it is going, so I think they are coming around to the fact I don't care what they think. My fiancee in Thailand keeps listening to her friends over there how she is never going to get a visa, it is impossible, you should go work in New Zealand with me, etc. etc. I tell her not to listen to all her " Friends", I always ask when did they apply for a visa to the US. Oh, they just know a friend of a friend of a friend or some thing like that. It bothers me more than her I think, but things have gotten better now. She knows we got the I129F approved, and is extremely happy and back on track, she is studying for the interview, and improving her English some more ( I sent her to school so it isn't that bad). So tell your friends to keep their opinion to themselves, I have no problem that they think it is a bad idea, and I know they are just waiting for that point things go bad and they can hit me with the " I told you so" speech, but I try not to let it bother me. Some of them have gone thru a few wives here, so I bust on them for having 2-3 divorces on the books themselves, but I guess they don't count if you marry a US citizen. LOL

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

not just ignorant unsolicited opinions (so many people have no idea what they're talking about!), but at one point during our K1 visa journey I had to make a decision to stay off the forums and boards, because what happened to people from other countries is probably not relevant for our case, and I was making myself crazy just imagining various scenarios. 

Hang in there!

Everyone has a very different experience so don't listen to what your friend knew about another person.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.