zamardii12

Has anyone's fiance' had a last-minute change of heart scare?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's relevant. 

So, we are now in the final stages of schedule medical and the interview and my fiance just was crying and talking about how scared she is. She said she felt unsure about everything and scared that we rushed things, she would feel more confident if we lived together longer beforehand, or whatever... and I am here reading what she's typing and my heart stops because i'm thinking to myself "we've been waiting for 8 months for this moment and NOW you're telling me this?"

So anyway, we talked and she said "You always know how to calm me down." Everything seems fine now, but has anyone gone through this? I am afraid this is some deeper thing. Has anyone gone through this and did it come back or have to address it again later? 

Yes, it is common. But I'm not sure this is a change of heart. He is just scared because this is a very big move and she probably is thinking about being far from her family, friends, and everything she knows. 

I'd calm her down and also, start thinking about what she is going to be doing with her time there so that she is not alone for long hours when you work. Plan to get her her favorite foods, maybe find some free classes she can attend to (e.g. book club or there are usually english as second language talking groups), enroll your friends or girlfriends (or girlfriends of your male friends) to take her out for coffee or to show her around or take her to their activities, etc. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, zamardii12 said:

So, we are now in the final stages of schedule medical and the interview and my fiance just was crying and talking about how scared she is. She said she felt unsure about everything and scared that we rushed things, she would feel more confident if we lived together longer beforehand, or whatever... and I am here reading what she's typing and my heart stops because i'm thinking to myself "we've been waiting for 8 months for this moment and NOW you're telling me this?"

So anyway, we talked and she said "You always know how to calm me down." Everything seems fine now, but has anyone gone through this? I am afraid this is some deeper thing. Has anyone gone through this and did it come back or have to address it again later? 

The closer it gets, the more people around will tell her it's dangerous or foolish or anything else. It's a normal part of the process, but if you love each other and you've lived together, it should not affect her a lot. I would recommend finding somebody from her country/town to connect with online and share insecurities. I don't worry at all, even though people are actively trying to persuade me that I'm insane and it's such a big change.

Not a change of heart scare, no. But moving abroad and getting married is really, really scary. She will most likely feel these feelings again, because it's how it goes. 

The best thing you can do in my opinion is stay calm and talk to her. Show stability by talking to her about what it's going to be like when she gets there, plans you have made for the two of you in the near future, things that'll make her feel welcome. And I agree with @Coco8, try to get her to meet people as soon as possible and encourage her to find her own friends. If she wants to talk to other people who've been through the same thing, tell her to get an account here. That helps too :)

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 minutes ago, zamardii12 said:

it does have the possibility of foreshadowing future troubles... that said I have the feeling you don't have any cold feet, so does it matter, your going to go forward to find the answer anyway. My only advice is to keep your hopes and expectations in check, consider if your willing to be ok with worse case scenario and then keep moving towards that best case scenario. Just be practical, you are entering a high risk situation even in the best of situations. people leaving home and country comes with challenges. marriage without cohabitation first comes with challenges. You seem strong continue to lend her a hand until she refuses it, then walk away if she decides so, def don't try to force the situation.

Timeline

just our case study fyi... We would both do anything to be together, jessica my fiance would go to any lengths and fight any battle. That said she also has some fears leaving everything behind, that parts normal. I would say if your fiance is not quite sure about the "you" part quite yet... you probably jumped the gun a wee bit.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NateAndJessica said:

just our case study fyi... We would both do anything to be together, jessica my fiance would go to any lengths and fight any battle. That said she also has some fears leaving everything behind, that parts normal. I would say if your fiance is not quite sure about the "you" part quite yet... you probably jumped the gun a wee bit.

There is no question how we feel about each other. That is very clear. Her concern is that we haven't lived with each other yet, and that the time apart has been a lot and maybe she has changed, and afraid that we went too fast. I honestly don't feel that way and I think it's just her fears overclouding her judgement, because after I talked to her about it she seemed fine. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I feel like it would be only natural to feel that way. My fiance is also getting quite nervous/scared as the process of being approved comes closer. Sometimes I feel disappointed because it seems like he isn't as excited as I am to finally be together, but I always remind myself that I would likely be feeling the same way if the situation was reversed. I try to keep that in mind and, as others suggest, make plans for the future that will be exciting/fun for us to do together. Another thing you could consider is checking out Meetup groups in your area. I recently found a very active group nearby of people who all speak the same language he does, and some of them are even from the same country/town! 

This will be difficult for both of you, and I wouldn't expect those feelings to disappear anytime soon (if ever). Leaving your home country, family, and friends is a LOT to ask of someone. All we can do is try to be supportive, patient, and most of all understanding of the feelings that our loved ones are experiencing.

Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I don't think there is a single person who has not had "what if" scary feelings.  It is completely normal.  Immigration is a long, sometimes gut-wrenching process.  The best solution for us was to concentrate on the task at hand....good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I didn't live with my fiance before we got married. It's not really allowed in his country anyway, but I did live there for a long time while studying abroad (that's where we met) and met his family many times/had dinner and meals with them. You don't have to live together to know this is the "real thing." But you DO have to spend as much time as possible together--in person, skype, fb messages, whatever.

Timeline
1 hour ago, zamardii12 said:

There is no question how we feel about each other. That is very clear. Her concern is that we haven't lived with each other yet, and that the time apart has been a lot and maybe she has changed, and afraid that we went too fast. I honestly don't feel that way and I think it's just her fears overclouding her judgement, because after I talked to her about it she seemed fine. 

You definitely learn a lot about your partner during the process. And you definitely learn alot about them still as your life together begins. Nothing to do but to do it. Best of luck, im sure it will all work out, it is a highly emotional time and process.  Jump with your eyes open its all any human on earth can do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You could view her behavior as a good thing: she realizes it is a big move and change in her life. Better now than after she's arrived in the US. I think a lot of people are naive and think they'll adjust with no problem in their new home, but then SURPRISE, the adjustment isn't so smooth after all. If one is already prepared to go through some difficulties, it can be easier to overcome them.  

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
Just now, usmsbow said:

You could view her behavior as a good thing: she realizes it is a big move and change in her life. Better now than after she's arrived in the US. I think a lot of people are naive and think they'll adjust with no problem in their new home, but then SURPRISE, the adjustment isn't so smooth after all. If one is already prepared to go through some difficulties, it can be easier to overcome them.  

Appreciate that perspective. She is a very strong woman and I trust she will make the right decision for herself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.