Sapphite

This response from an online attorney at JustAsk has me in tears... say it isn't so!

61 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, dentsflogged said:

But a booking isn't a ticket though...unless I've just been using the wrong terminology for years? 

Booking=action of getting your tickets. It used to be more "formal" in the paper ticket days. I'm old :mellow:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

This process made me almost hate lawyers...

of course all those may happen but not because of the petition, they might happen  anyone who’s traveling.

I visited 3 times between noa1 to noa2

always told them I was visiting my fiancé. And my entries were actually way easier than any entry I have ever made. Before we were engaged it took me 5 minutes to explain I was visiting my boyfriend. After “fiancé” was involved they only asked how long.

I don't get why so many immigration lawyers have no idea what they're talking about. What a waste of money.

I visited my husband during my CR-1 visa process while my case was at NVC. The immigration officer at Newark International thought my life story was amazingly cute and was only too happy to let me in to visit.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sapphite said:

What we asked....

Hello, My fiancée, Leda and I have filed the I-129F petition for a fiancée Visa. The Petition is at the California Center and based on the timeline on the USCIS website, our petition will be reviewed in mid-September.
We are planning for Leda to visit me in July in California during her holiday from school in Rio de Janeiro where she is a teacher's assistant for the city.

We have three questions.

• First, in addition to the notarized invitation to visit me in July (with the specific dates) and her round trip ticket what other documentation would you recommend she bring with her to prove "ties to home"?
  • Second, when the immigration officer asks her for the relationship between us, how should she respond?
  • Third, we understand that Atlanta may not be the "best" airport for her arrival in the States.
    (She has a B1/B2 Visa and has been to the US before.)
    Do you have any thoughts or recommendations on the airport she should fly into in July?

This is the response...

Well, unfortunately, she's going to have a problem at the port of entry. She is not supposed to visit when she has immigrant intent. I understand that you state that she will go home after her visit, but they just won't believe her.
One of three things can happen if she tries and is not able to convince them:

1. They will allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and she can go home, no penalty.
  2. They will not allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and will order her excluded. This has a 5 year penalty that she cannot come back unless she gets a very hard to get waiver.
  3. They will not allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and they catch her in a lie and they exclude her with a permanent bar due to fraud and/or misrepresentation and with that charge she cannot come back unless she gets a very hard to get waiver.

So I wouldn't even try. Go visit her instead of her coming to visit you. I wish I had better news for you, but I am trying to keep her from getting in trouble and I hope you realize that.

Considering everything I have read on this forum, his response seems harsh and doesn't align with the experiences detailed here on the forum.

We would appreciate any guidance from people who have actually experienced the process.

In gratitude, Leda and Lani

I'm with most of those who replied to your inquiry. As long as Leda is confident and does not seem suspicious, she will be allowed entry. Of course, no one can guarantee you that she will be admitted into the States, but we can guarantee the person whom you seek advice from is wrong.

44 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Booking=action of getting your tickets. It used to be more "formal" in the paper ticket days. I'm old :mellow:

I'm pretty old too, but I've always used tickets/boarding pass as interchangable. 

Not that it matters, I presume that having proof of intention to return is the same, regardless.   I've always had my bookings printed out, plus a confirmation email from my workplace of my dates of leave etc, and haven't had a problem yet, even with multiple long visits. 

33 minutes ago, Ketsuban said:

I don't get why so many immigration lawyers have no idea what they're talking about. What a waste of money.

I visited my husband during my CR-1 visa process while my case was at NVC. The immigration officer at Newark International thought my life story was amazingly cute and was only too happy to let me in to visit.

Sadly I have found that many lawyers of all kinds have no idea what they're talking about.

2 hours ago, Ketsuban said:

I don’t think immigration officer has time for your life story, and I doubt he said “amazingly cute.”

Every case is different, and you can’t compare your case with this case. Lawyer was careful not to get her banned from ever entering USA. 

And race and color do matter, and they might look at her with scrutiny.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

That attorney has no idea what he's talking about. What are they going to ban her for? Visiting on a valid visa? They're not going to ban her for anything. Worst case she'll be sent home but usually that is for something completely different than for wanting to visit her fiance. 

I agree, no reason for a ban. My fiancé has been turned away at the border due to their suspicions of him trying to immigrate despite showing ties...it has gone both ways for him. All depends on who you get for the day unfortunately. I would bring a lot of documentation to show ties just in case

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have a mega thread on all the people who have visited, with or without the process no difference.

I have visited 30 ish Countries and could have been banned/deported from any of all of them.

Bit like asking should I go outside, well you could be run over by a Bus.

PS Boarding Pass is something you get when you check in at the Airport, it is not a ticket.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Another suggestion that I have seen around here is to have her bring copies of any NOAs you have at the time.  I've read somewhere here that people have presented this when asked/if the border agent questions the visit more and it helps to show the border agents that you are working to do the process legally and obviously would not want to jeopardize that process.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Not to negate those who choose to utilize attorneys, as I imagine there are occasions where it is beneficial, but it is NOT required for this process. Many, MANY people complete the K1 or CR1 visa process without any legal assistance whatsoever - you will find a lot of those very people on these forums. As illustrated here, attorneys can often times give somewhat incorrect - or entirely incorrect - information.

A formal invitation is not necessary for any reason. I wouldn't take the time to include that. What's going to matter is evidence of your partner's ties to their home country and affirmation of their intent to return. This could be in the form of bills/rent/etc. in their name that they will have due once they return, and in which they are expected to return and take care of. Work/job information - some sort of evidence showing they have a job in their home country which they are expected to return to on a certain date. Land/property/lease in their name showing they have roots over there. And of course having a return flight scheduled will also help.

You definitely never want to lie to a CO - if they outright ask about their relationship with you, they have to be honest. But if they don't ask questions, they aren't obligated to divulge any details to them upfront. If I remember correctly, all they asked my fiancé during his visits state side was where he would be staying. He simply told them he was here on vacation, as he was, and they were fine with that.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never taken such documentation, just what was in my wallet.

How many visitors do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.