Sapphite

This response from an online attorney at JustAsk has me in tears... say it isn't so!

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, what I can say is that I did travel during my K1 and had no issues with it. Will not go through the details due the previous valuable posts here already but you sure have not only mine but many other cases where people traveled during their K1 process.

Good luck @Sapphite

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

I visited plenty during the K1 process and had no problems, didn't carry any proof of ties either but I do come from a low risk country:)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

I'm going to start suggesting nobody try to ever enter on a valid visa. Or to even apply for a US visa. That way they can never get banned. :D

Now where's my big-time lawyer bucks?

Race & color have the same bearing on entry as shirt color and height. There's always a reason an officer can find to deny entry.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have never taken such documentation, just what was in my wallet.

How many visitors do?

You mean a copy of the NOA? I did. I brought a copy of the whole packet to be on the safe side and was never asked for it. My now husband told me to do it so I did. In hindsight I know it was unnecessary but I just wanted to come visit :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

The attorney's response is bull. Everything is looked at a case to case basis.

This is my case:

• Tourist visa 1  - visiting a friend (6m visa, multiple entry)
  • Tourist visa 2 - visiting a boyfriend (3m visa, one entry)
  • Tourist visa 3 - visiting a fiancee (10y visa, multiple entry)
  • Marriage
  • Visiting the US 2x times BEFORE submitting paperwork for the immigrant visa
  • IR-1 paperwork submitted
  • Flying to the US THREE more times while my paperwork was processing, once pregnant and once with a USC child in my hands (!)
  • Getting approved for an immigrant visa, flying in to move to the US (again, with my child)

Always, always, always say the truth. Answer what they ask. Do not volunteer extra information. They likely either already know or do not care. But always tell the truth. I was worried I would have issues getting that third tourist visa, I had no issues. They asked me what the plan was, I pretty much laid out our 5y plan and the woman laughed at me saying "You have it all planned out, don't you?" I said "Well we spend a lot of time talking" :D

Good luck, from what you say, she looks like a low risk case and you should not have any issues. <3

Edited by TBoneTX
offensive term edited

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
18 hours ago, Sapphite said:

What we asked....

Hello, My fiancée, Leda and I have filed the I-129F petition for a fiancée Visa. The Petition is at the California Center and based on the timeline on the USCIS website, our petition will be reviewed in mid-September.
We are planning for Leda to visit me in July in California during her holiday from school in Rio de Janeiro where she is a teacher's assistant for the city.

We have three questions.

• First, in addition to the notarized invitation to visit me in July (with the specific dates) and her round trip ticket what other documentation would you recommend she bring with her to prove "ties to home"?
  • Second, when the immigration officer asks her for the relationship between us, how should she respond?
  • Third, we understand that Atlanta may not be the "best" airport for her arrival in the States.
    (She has a B1/B2 Visa and has been to the US before.)
    Do you have any thoughts or recommendations on the airport she should fly into in July?

This is the response...

Well, unfortunately, she's going to have a problem at the port of entry. She is not supposed to visit when she has immigrant intent. I understand that you state that she will go home after her visit, but they just won't believe her.
One of three things can happen if she tries and is not able to convince them:

1. They will allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and she can go home, no penalty.
  2. They will not allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and will order her excluded. This has a 5 year penalty that she cannot come back unless she gets a very hard to get waiver.
  3. They will not allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and they catch her in a lie and they exclude her with a permanent bar due to fraud and/or misrepresentation and with that charge she cannot come back unless she gets a very hard to get waiver.

So I wouldn't even try. Go visit her instead of her coming to visit you. I wish I had better news for you, but I am trying to keep her from getting in trouble and I hope you realize that.

Considering everything I have read on this forum, his response seems harsh and doesn't align with the experiences detailed here on the forum.

We would appreciate any guidance from people who have actually experienced the process.

In gratitude, Leda and Lani

Your lawyer is right in many ways. Thought he or she did not advise you that the notarized statement that you will give her is worth nothing. Best advise I can give her is be 100%.no...1000% honest with CPB Inspectors at the airport. State that a K1 has been applied for, etc etc....and the relationship. Changes she will get a Secondary and be told to withdraw as your lawyer says in #1.

#2 or #3 is if she lies. 

Sounds like a waste of money on an airline ticket. Best you visit her

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
19 hours ago, Sapphite said:

What we asked....

Hello, My fiancée, Leda and I have filed the I-129F petition for a fiancée Visa. The Petition is at the California Center and based on the timeline on the USCIS website, our petition will be reviewed in mid-September.
We are planning for Leda to visit me in July in California during her holiday from school in Rio de Janeiro where she is a teacher's assistant for the city.

We have three questions.

• First, in addition to the notarized invitation to visit me in July (with the specific dates) and her round trip ticket what other documentation would you recommend she bring with her to prove "ties to home"?
  • Second, when the immigration officer asks her for the relationship between us, how should she respond?
  • Third, we understand that Atlanta may not be the "best" airport for her arrival in the States.
    Do you have any thoughts or recommendations on the airport she should fly into in July?

This is the response...

Well, unfortunately, she's going to have a problem at the port of entry. She is not supposed to visit when she has immigrant intent. I understand that you state that she will go home after her visit, but they just won't believe her.

1. They will allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and she can go home, no penalty.
  2. They will not allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and will order her excluded. This has a 5 year penalty that she cannot come back unless she gets a very hard to get waiver.
  3. They will not allow her to withdraw her request to enter the U.S. and they catch her in a lie and they exclude her with a permanent bar due to fraud and/or misrepresentation and with that charge she cannot come back unless she gets a very hard to get waiver.

So I wouldn't even try. Go visit her instead of her coming to visit you. I wish I had better news for you, but I am trying to keep her from getting in trouble and I hope you realize that.

Considering everything I have read on this forum, his response seems harsh and doesn't align with the experiences detailed here on the forum.

We would appreciate any guidance from people who have actually experienced the process.

I completely wouldn't over analyze their response. I was the same with my fiance who was visiting me from Spain and the interviewers in Chicago treated him very casually. Simply asked:

"Why are you here?"

"To see my fiance"

"When do you leave"

"2 weeks" (He had his proof of round trip ticket in case but they didn't even ask)

"Okay carry on"

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
23 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Your lawyer is right in many ways. Thought he or she did not advise you that the notarized statement that you will give her is worth nothing. Best advise I can give her is be 100%.no...1000% honest with CPB Inspectors at the airport. State that a K1 has been applied for, etc etc....and the relationship. Changes she will get a Secondary and be told to withdraw as your lawyer says in #1.

#2 or #3 is if she lies. 

Sounds like a waste of money on an airline ticket. Best you visit her

IIf the question had been what could happen if I lie and am found out, you have a point.

Never volunteer anything, answer an questions succinctly, the old adage of Do you know the time? comes to mind, answer is yes or no.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It seems to me that the people who are denied entry when trying to visit their fiance or spouse are almost always those people who have tried to "live" in the US by staying for long, frequent visits.  I don't recall anyone in your specific situation being denied.  It seems to me that she has sufficient evidence to show she will return to her country after the visit.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

It seems to me that the people who are denied entry when trying to visit their fiance or spouse are almost always those people who have tried to "live" in the US by staying for long, frequent visits.  I don't recall anyone in your specific situation being denied.  It seems to me that she has sufficient evidence to show she will return to her country after the visit.

There is always a looooong story that may not be immediately apparent.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Prof_Q said:

I wouldn't risk it. Especially nowadays where things are more scrutinized and y'all have made it this far. But that's just me. 

The absolute worst case scenario is that she will have to immediately return.  There will be no ban.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
19 hours ago, Sapphite said:

What we asked....

We have three questions.

This is the response...

Now I'm not an expert but we visited the USA whilst I had k1 visa going thru and they didnt send me to secondary or anything. purpose of visit, visiting my fiancé. That was it, don't get too stressed!! Good luck in k1 process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi there, my fiance and i have been through something similar not too long ago. I had time off work in January 2018 and wanted to visit my fiance for a week in the US. I searched and searched for a direct answer to whether we should try but I couldn't find one. So I went ahead booked my interview and attempted to get a tourist visa. I had all the proof in the world to prove I had every Intention of coming back after a week. When I went to the interview the first thing  they saw was the petition my finance had filed, the counsler officer asked me to confirm that I am currently in process for a k1 , I said yes (never ever lie). After that he just handed me a letter and said I suggest you wait for your K1 visa and said I was illegible for a visa. He didn't even ask for to see any of my proof. I tried to tell him I had proof but said sorry he can't help. Once you apply for the K1 visa you already showing Intent to immigrate. I would suggest just avoid the whole idea. You visit her and save yourselves time, money and tears. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, desireelb14 said:

Hi there, my fiance and i have been through something similar not too long ago. I had time off work in January 2018 and wanted to visit my fiance for a week in the US. I searched and searched for a direct answer to whether we should try but I couldn't find one. So I went ahead booked my interview and attempted to get a tourist visa. I had all the proof in the world to prove I had every Intention of coming back after a week. When I went to the interview the first thing  they saw was the petition my finance had filed, the counsler officer asked me to confirm that I am currently in process for a k1 , I said yes (never ever lie). After that he just handed me a letter and said I suggest you wait for your K1 visa and said I was illegible for a visa. He didn't even ask for to see any of my proof. I tried to tell him I had proof but said sorry he can't help. Once you apply for the K1 visa you already showing Intent to immigrate. I would suggest just avoid the whole idea. You visit her and save yourselves time, money and tears. 

It is always in the power of the Consulate Officer to either allow or deny a new B2 visa.  In the OP's case, the fiance already has a B2 visa.  There are many, many people who successfully visit fiance or souse during the K-1/CR-1/IR-1 process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.