God dey.

Divorce after before temporary green card interview on K1 visa

40 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, God dey. said:

Depressing. Will it change anything if I am able to prove that I was abused in the marriage? 

Don't play the "abused me" card unless you really were and have concrete evidence.

Give her some space. If it's meant to be then it'll be. If not, then you have some important decisions to make.

AOS FROM - F1 OPT                                                                                                                                             ROC
Day 00 - Jun-08-2016 - AOS Package Delivered [Chicago Lockbox]                                                          Day 00 - Mar-12-2018 - ROC Package Delivered [California Service Center] 

Day 13 - Jun-21-2016 - Hardcopy NOA  for I-485, I-130, I-765                                                                   Day 09 - Mar-21-2018- Check Cashed                                                                   

Day 17 - Jun-25-2016 - Biometrics Letter [Appointment July 5]                                                                 Day 11 - Mar-23-2018-Received NOA Letter

Day 50 - Jul-28-2016 -  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled for an Interview                                                 Day 68 - May-18-2018 - Received Biometrics WAIVER Letter

Day 61 - Aug-08-2016 - AOS Interview Letter [interview Date Sept 7]                                                       Day 159 -Aug-17-2018 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

Day 71 - Aug-17-2016 - Interview Cancellation Letter [unforeseen Circumstances]                              Day 406-Apr-22-2019 - New Card Is Being Produced

Day 79 - Aug-25-2016 - New AOS Interview Letter [New Interview Date Sept 27]                                   Day 410-Apr26-2019 - Received ROC Approval Letter

Day 85 - Aug-31-2016 - Received EAD Card                                                                                                    Day 414- Apr-30-2019 - Received 10-year Green Card :dance:

Day 112 -Sep-27-2016 - AOS Interview [Case Status: New Card Is Being Produced]                              N400   5-yr-based                      

Day 118 -Oct-03-2016 -  Received AOS Approval Letter                                                                               Day 00 - Mar-12-2021- Submitted N400 Application online

Day 121 -Oct-06-2016 - Received Conditional Green Card [ROC opens ~ Mar 10, 2018]                       Day 322 - Jan-28-2022- N400 Interview Scheduled

Day 353 - Feb-26-2022- Interviewed. Approved. Same Day Oath 🇺🇸

Definitely need a lot of evidence if you claim abuse. I'd suggest going back to where you are from if she doesn't want to be with you. As to your gc, if she doesn't want to support you anymore and hasn't done the paperwork already you're out of luck for the most part.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's how it works. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
8 hours ago, God dey. said:

Well, alot was sacrificed for this marriage. I left my career in a transition phase for the marriage (at her incessant urging) and it would prove extremely difficult to restart back in my country. 

You left your career yes BUT you did that by yourself you weren't forced to do it you did it because you loved your fiancé and wanted to live with her right? Everyone sacrificed for echoer in a marriage but that is not abuse.

There is no abuse in that at all you are grasping after straws now. I can only imagine how how it must be but this is one of the big risk of getting the k-1 visa.

It's really too bad, and sorry you're going through a rough time now, but this is life, and sometimes things just don't work out the way you plan.

Really, the best and probably most honest path for you is to re-group and go back to your own country, restart your life there. So you left a career there; a lot of people change jobs. No point in being here based on marriage if that marriage has fallen apart, is there?  Good luck to you.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

14 hours ago, God dey. said:

I came into the US on a k1 Visa (fiance visa) and married my fiance (female,30 yr old Healthcare lawyer) within the allowed 90 days. Since then, we have filed successfully for an adjustment of status. I have received my Work Permit and advance parole.  But have not yet received my temporary green card. The USCIS received our case by December 2016, their website says they are currently processing cases received in February 2016. We have married 8 months. Things have fallen apart in the marriage and she says she is no longer interested. I think she will file for a divorce as she can hardly claim grounds for an annulment (except fraud, which ia false and will be terribly difficult for her to prove) I want to know how this will affect my status in the US as I have not yet received my temporary green card. I would also like to know how much time I would have in the US after the divorce is finalized and what my options are. 

Theres no option for you. Once there's a divorce and she pulls her affidavit of support. that's it! The entire application will be terminated including your EAD and AP. The only last option would be through vawa just as people mentioned above but from what you have explained, there is no abuse, so in other words you don't qualify 

6 hours ago, Roel said:

Sounds like you're just desperate to get that green card. Sorry but I don't believe in the actual abuse. You'd mention it. But you first mentioned "losing your career" as an abuse and only later said something about vocal abuse, after other said that career thing is not an abuse... Usually abuse victims talk differently. 

Sorry but if the marriage didn't work out, you have to leave US. I'm assuming you don't have any actual evidence of vawa either. 

I would respectfully disagree.  In my experience abuse victims are not at all all the same in terms of how much they want to disclose or how eager they are to talk about the abuse they have experienced. There isn't really a way that abuse victims "usually talk".  And it's not at all uncommon for many, especially males, to be very hesitant to disclose at all, even on an anonymous forum.  The fact that he answered the question about why he wanted to stay independent of his marriage before he answered the question about what the abuse was like does not in my mind indicate that the abuse was not real, or not serious.  None of us here knows what has happened between him and his wife.  (I am assuming OP is male, actually it could be a same-sex relationship, as the only information we had was that the wife is female.) 

To the OP:  Some of the posters have given you good advice about the legal limitations of your current status, and what you would need to do if you decide to pursue status based on abuse.  JFH's advice about counseling and trying to see if the marriage can be saved may also be useful, depending on how bad the abuse has been and if you think things could improve. 

Good luck!

I have to add that I am a little puzzled by all the hostility to the idea that the OP might want to stay.  I understand that s/he may not have a legal right to residency.  But to say that s/he must be desperate to stay and should just go home if the marriage isn't working seems a little harsh.  Immigration is a huge leap of faith, and many leave everything behind when they come and feel that they may have any easier time reestablishing here than going back to their home country.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to want to stay, nor does it indicate lack of good faith in the beginning, at least in my mind.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
52 minutes ago, dawning said:

I have to add that I am a little puzzled by all the hostility to the idea that the OP might want to stay.  I understand that s/he may not have a legal right to residency.  But to say that s/he must be desperate to stay and should just go home if the marriage isn't working seems a little harsh.  Immigration is a huge leap of faith, and many leave everything behind when they come and feel that they may have any easier time reestablishing here than going back to their home country.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to want to stay, nor does it indicate lack of good faith in the beginning, at least in my mind.

I don't see any hostility here, just sincere opinions.   We all realize how difficult and life changing this process is and 10 times that when something goes wrong.  Which is why people are pointing out the fact that the chances at this point don't look very good.   If the OP can stay legally, welcome and more power to the OP.  However you aren't going to find much sympathy on here if the OP plans to overstay. 

2 hours ago, dawning said:

I understand the point you are trying to make but, putting the "must be desperate" part aside, what other viable option would he have but to leave the country if his wife divorces him and pulls the affidavit? He would be subjected to struggling in an uphill battle to gain some sort of legal status for who knows how long. He would likely only be able to find low paying work illegally and would constantly be worried about being detained or deported. And all this under the current presidential administration.

Going home to at least to regroup would seem the logical next step for the time being. Yes, he sacrificed a lot by coming here but I am sure he would be back in familiar territory with friends and family back home. 

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

32 minutes ago, Cruise77 said:

I don't see any hostility here, just sincere opinions.   We all realize how difficult and life changing this process is and 10 times that when something goes wrong.  Which is why people are pointing out the fact that the chances at this point don't look very good.   If the OP can stay legally, welcome and more power to the OP.  However you aren't going to find much sympathy on here if the OP plans to overstay. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  I went through and re-read, and you are right, most of the responses are fairly kind and trying to be helpful.  I think it was just a couple that said things like "You're just desperate for a GC" or "No point in being here if your marriage has fallen apart".  So that was partly my reading.  I think most of the hostility was generated by the discussion of abuse.  As I said above, I am hesitant to be judgmental about that one.

4 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

I understand the point you are trying to make but, putting the "must be desperate" part aside, what other viable option would he have but to leave the country if his wife divorces him and pulls the affidavit? He would be subjected to struggling in an uphill battle to gain some sort of legal status for who knows how long. He would likely only be able to find low paying work illegally and would constantly be worried about being detained or deported. And all this under the current presidential administration.

Going home to at least to regroup would seem the logical next step for the time being. Yes, he sacrificed a lot by coming here but I am sure he would be back in familiar territory with friends and family back home. 

That may be true practically.  I was just thinking more of the attitude towards the idea that he might want to stay.

Hello, is it possible that because of the culture differences, you are not mistaking her unhappiness with abuse.  While reading your post you mention she going to file for divorce and not get the marriage annulled because she would not be able to prove fraud. That sounds strange. Are you sure you married for love and not for the GC.  She may be able to sense it and that maybe the reason she is angry.

12 hours ago, Roel said:

Sounds like you're just desperate to get that green card. Sorry but I don't believe in the actual abuse. You'd mention it. But you first mentioned "losing your career" as an abuse and only later said something about vocal abuse, after other said that career thing is not an abuse... Usually abuse victims talk differently. 

Sorry but if the marriage didn't work out, you have to leave US. I'm assuming you don't have any actual evidence of vawa either. 

I feel like I've said this before on VJ, possibly even to you on another thread, but attitudes like this are why abuse victims don't want to come forward.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.