AdamEve&Steve

Polyamorous marriage and permanent residence

49 posts in this topic

OK, I am going to talk about something that will raise your eyebrows. But let me be very specific here. I'm NOT looking for a relationship advice, I'm only looking for immigration advice.

I'm currently in a relationship with my boyfriend Adam (not a real name) for 6 years and we've been in a polyamorous/swinger relationship from the day one. I met Steve (also not a real name) 5 years ago and I hooked up with him with my boyfriend's permission of course. Ever since then, we all 3 have been very very close friends. After all this time, I've fallen in love with Steve and planning to get married to him. Steve came here on visa and has lost his immigration status, and I believe if I petition for him, he'd get green card. We all 3 just want to live with each here happily ever after. I think my question is would immigration officer deny the petition based on his dogmatic beliefs about how an ideal marriage supposed to be? I really love Steve and this marriage is 100% legitimate and no fraud involved.

I repeat, I am NOT looking for a relationship advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think if the marriage is legitimate then there's no reason to be denied. If you can prove it the same way others do that their marriage is genuine, then you should be okay.

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

To mention your polyamorous relationship in the immigration paperwork, interview, process etc will probably cause complications (I'm not trying to be rude) because unfortunately, it is not something that is recognized by any government entity for now. Also, the other concern would be Steve's lost status. With him having lost status and if he is in the US right now, K-1 is probably not the best choice of visa path for you guys. Maybe get married and file for IR-1/CR-1. Even for this, a mention of your poly relationship is not a good idea and you'll also need a variety of evidence for submission.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Assuming neither you nor Steve are currently married, all you two have to do is get married in a jurisdiction where (assuming) same sex marriage\union is legal. For love of course. 

Can't marry Adam because polygamy is not legal in the US. Pick and choose, but not both. Marriage has to be for love, not for a green card. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Is Adam a USC? If not, you will be forced to pick Adam or Steve to stay with you in the US. If so, you are free to marry Steve and then file for AOS. The overstay will not be an issue. That said, there may be questions about your circumstances.

27 minutes ago, AdamEve&Steve said:

I think my question is would immigration officer deny the petition based on his dogmatic beliefs about how an ideal marriage supposed to be?

It's not a dogmatic belief of an officer. His personal belief really doesn't matter. He could believe that gay marriage isn't acceptable, but that's irrelevant. The officer has a duty to make a decision based upon the US laws in place today. While nothing prevents a poly relationship directly, given Steve's lack of status and other factors, the officer may believe that you are just petitioning him to get a green card. Your obligation will be to prove that the marriage is bona fide. That's just how it works.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

This actually comes up from time to time here.  As long as you have a bonafide relationship and your marriage is legal, i.e. not polygamous, then it should not be a problem.

Sometimes it is better not to mention what goes on in your bedroom if not asked.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

It is not clear who is/are the US citizens in your story, but one American citizen partner can sponsor a spouse or fiancé.  You guys have to decide who is the unit of two that will be getting legally married.  Read the guides and instructions carefully, come back with questions.  Love is not a requirement, nor is sexual or romantic exclusivity; some cheat, some are open, some are traditionnal, others not as much.   Like Nola said, no need to disclose what is not asked. Situation is more frequent than most imagine. Best of luck.

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Immigration isn't moral police they are enforcer laws.  Even though most people will see your relationship as immoral it is not illegal in most places assuming the 3rd member of your group is not collecting benefits as a spouse to either of the other 2 at the moment. This is especially true if you live in a no fault state where sex outside of the marriage is  NOT ground for divorce.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I remember that for the DS-160 you actually sign off that you agree that you are not in a polygamous relationship or that you agree you will not be in one, I could be wrong though. 

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Legally speaking they aren't as there is only one marriage involved.   If adultery was cause for revocation of your LPR status a lot of people would never make it to citizenship. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

55 minutes ago, zilchfox said:

I think I remember that for the DS-160 you actually sign off that you agree that you are not in a polygamous relationship or that you agree you will not be in one, I could be wrong though. 

It refers to practicing polygamy (having more than 1 spouse as the same time). OP is in a polyamorous relationship, not practicing polygamy.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Remember also, OP, that you're going to have to prove mingling of finances, insurances, wills, and other things down the road when you Remove Conditions, in order for Steve to get a 10-year green card. Are you going to be prepared to do these things, as a married couple? Just a reminder that there's still a long path ahead. Good luck!

Edited by Ortolan

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

11 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

This actually comes up from time to time here.  As long as you have a bonafide relationship and your marriage is legal, i.e. not polygamous, then it should not be a problem.

Sometimes it is better not to mention what goes on in your bedroom if not asked.

I'm not planning to mention anything. But let's face it. I am a white girl and Steve is a brown guy from India. So I'm pretty sure there'll be an investigation if the marriage is genuine and I am scared that when they find out I'm already in relationship with Adam, who is a USC, immigration would deny the petition that I am lying/hiding stuff from them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.