Emmylou151

Rights if Separated - Waiting for CG Interview

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, immigration is tough!

My husband (the USC) and I have decided that we are no longer willing to make our marriage work. I came here on a K1 Visa, and we married in February 2016.

I am now in Arizona, my USC husband is in Ohio (also where our paperwork is addressed at). We filed for AOS in June, and our case is still waiting for an interview to be scheduled.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a way I am able to stay in the states and get GC without my husband having to "bend the truth"?

2. If we file for divorce now, where do I stand?

3. Basically, what the hell can I do?

Any help appreciated. I have seen a lot about the waiver, but I understand this is only if you have your conditiona GC and a divorce decree.

I am the beneficiary originally from UK !!

ROC Timeline:

01.04.19: I-751 Received @ Phoenix

01.09.19: Check Cashed

02.13.19: NOA Received

04.30.19: Biometrics Completed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

nothing, you accepted the fact that if it didn't work, you have to return to your country

he can withdraw the petition and the i864 before the interview, there is nothing you can do, you can't even remarry and adjust status through another usc spouse because you came on a k1, you can only get a GC through your husband

if you'd stay you will be illegally here and deportable, so the best thing you can do is divorce and return to your country

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, aleful said:

hi

nothing, you accepted the fact that if it didn't work, you have to return to your country

he can withdraw the petition and the i864 before the interview, there is nothing you can do, you can't even remarry and adjust status through another usc spouse because you came on a k1, you can only get a GC through your husband

if you'd stay you will be illegally here and deportable, so the best thing you can do is divorce and return to your country

Would it be illegal to hold off filing for divorce until I get GC?

I am the beneficiary originally from UK !!

ROC Timeline:

01.04.19: I-751 Received @ Phoenix

01.09.19: Check Cashed

02.13.19: NOA Received

04.30.19: Biometrics Completed

7 hours ago, Emmylou151 said:

My husband (the USC) and I have decided that we are no longer willing to make our marriage work. I came here on a K1 Visa, and we married in February 2016.

I am now in Arizona, my USC husband is in Ohio (also where our paperwork is addressed at). We filed for AOS in June, and our case is still waiting for an interview to be scheduled.

1. Is there a way I am able to stay in the states and get GC without my husband having to "bend the truth"?

Any help appreciated. I have seen a lot about the waiver, but I understand this is only if you have your conditiona GC and a divorce decree.

As far as I know (I think others on this site have written about it) you can apply for your GC without your husband, I believe you can get a waiver for this but you would have to show that you entered the marriage in good faith, and not in fact a marriage to gain entry. I think you can find more information on the USCIS website about AOS and GC.

Sorry to hear your marriage failed. But I would not  lie to anyone about your marriage whilst trying to adjust or apply, this would result in a lifetime ban.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, martin bk said:

As far as I know (I think others on this site have written about it) you can apply for your GC without your husband, I believe you can get a waiver for this but you would have to show that you entered the marriage in good faith, and not in fact a marriage to gain entry. I think you can find more information on the USCIS website about AOS and GC.

Sorry to hear your marriage failed. But I would not  lie to anyone about your marriage whilst trying to adjust or apply, this would result in a lifetime ban.

hi

that is when there is a GC and removing of conditions, a person can remove conditions without the petitioner

but in this case, she doesn't even have a GC, they haven't had the interview yet

Timeline
6 hours ago, Emmylou151 said:

Would it be illegal to hold off filing for divorce until I get GC?

not only would you be lying, you aren't a couple anymore, you don't live under the same roof, as you said you live in another state

20 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

that is when there is a GC and removing of conditions, a person can remove conditions without the petitioner

but in this case, she doesn't even have a GC, they haven't had the interview yet

Sorry I am making assumptions since she has been married nearly a year, id assumed the original AOS to conditional green card would have been filed after the marriage in 2016, it was my understanding that the K1 gives you a right to go the states and marry but not to live for a year without changing status; and that she was talking about removing the conditions on her green card, since she is living in another state and supporting herself, legally I hope. I guess more information is needed, before we can direct her to the information that will help.

Edited by martin bk
him /her

15 hours ago, Emmylou151 said:

Don't mean to pry into your personal business but what led to the dissolution of your marriage? Was violence involved? Did he ever physically assault you? If yes and you have evidence to support that, you can file a violence against women (vawa) petition-form i360, that would give you full jurisdiction over your pending i485, that way if approved u can get ur GC and subsequently your citizenship. I'll advice u to be honest about it as you do so, immigration will know if u are not truthful. Other than through vawa, there's no other way that you qualify for a GC. You would essentially have to just move on and go back to your country like someone advised. 

43 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Actually even if they divorce she can AOS as long as he doesnt want to pull the i-864.  

She can't go through AOS because so far as its a family based application, her spouse MUST be present for the AOS interview. She will be denied if he's not there and could be placed under investigation for suspicion of fraudulent marriage 

Edited by Hopeful diva

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, Hopeful diva said:

She can't go through AOS because so far as its a family based application, her spouse MUST be present for the AOS interview. She will be denied if he's not there and could be placed under investigation for suspicion of fraudulent marriage 

This is not true.

There actually is another thread currently having discussions in the Effects sub-forum about the same topic. If the husband is still willing to honor his 864 (not withdraw it) then she can be processed.

3 minutes ago, Damara said:

This is not true.

There actually is another thread currently having discussions in the Effects sub-forum about the same topic. If the husband is still willing to honor his 864 (not withdraw it) then she can be processed.

Never heard of such. Where is it written on the USCIS website? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Damara said:

This is not true.

I agree

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.