bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Trump will cut down on legal immigration, I think spousal visas for LPR's will be not anymore available in future:

10. Reform legal immigration to serve the best interests of America and its workers, keeping immigration levels within historic norms.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/immigration

Donald J. Trump’s 10 Point Plan to Put America First

1. Begin working on an impenetrable physical wall on the southern border, on day one. Mexico will pay for the wall.

2. End catch-and-release. Under a Trump administration, anyone who illegally crosses the border will be detained until they are removed out of our country.

3. Move criminal aliens out day one, in joint operations with local, state, and federal law enforcement. We will terminate the Obama administration’s deadly, non-enforcement policies that allow thousands of criminal aliens to freely roam our streets.

4. End sanctuary cities.

5. Immediately terminate President Obama’s two illegal executive amnesties. All immigration laws will be enforced - we will triple the number of ICE agents. Anyone who enters the U.S. illegally is subject to deportation. That is what it means to have laws and to have a country.

6. Suspend the issuance of visas to any place where adequate screening cannot occur, until proven and effective vetting mechanisms can be put into place.

7. Ensure that other countries take their people back when we order them deported.

8. Ensure that a biometric entry-exit visa tracking system is fully implemented at all land, air, and sea ports.

9. Turn off the jobs and benefits magnet. Many immigrants come to the U.S. illegally in search of jobs, even though federal law prohibits the employment of illegal immigrants.

10. Reform legal immigration to serve the best interests of America and its workers, keeping immigration levels within historic norms.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wonder , is all the ones that entered US legally, and fall out of status, married and applies for AOS would be affected.

Can he do anything to stop it? or he can not cause it happened all before his election.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

i'm more worried about me getting there to the US to get married to my fiance. We're a gay couple so it's kind of a double whammy for Trump. We got the NOA1 at the day of election even!

Trumpt never had a problem with gay marriage, he never said he will fight ,

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

I know it has been said a few times already, but I wanted to reiterate so people can calm down a bit. Trump is against illegal immigration. If you think about it (and if I remember correctly) his current wife came into the US as a LEGAL immigrant. Why would he do away with the legal immigration that allowed his wife to come into the country?

Trump is concerned around working visas because he wants American citizens who are without jobs to be considered over foreign internationals. I don't agree with all of his ideas on immigration, and he does have the ability to enact an executive order, but keep in mind we have 3 branches of government here in the US to prevent the other branches from using too much power. Congress and the Supreme Court can overturn decisions if they deem them unconstitutional.

I know it is frightening to a lot of people, but honestly the most powerful person in the US as of right now is Paul Ryan since he is currently in charge of a Republican lead Congress. Immigration isn't really on Ryan's radar.

Also, as others have said, passing laws takes a long time so we likely won't even see the effects of Trumps presidency until the last 2 years of his election. That is if he even lasts that long. If he does what everyone believes he will do by making some huge mistake... Congress will impeach him and then it doesn't matter, but that is a whole different story that I don't think will even happen. (though it would be funny if it did)

Lastly, as Michael said, he wants to keep legal immigration levels within historic norms. This is key!!!

Please keep your hopes up and continue with the process. There is enough stress in this process without adding more to it. Just make sure to get those applications in before the increase in fees if you can!!!

his wife did work as a model in the US without the proper visa for it .

What about those U.S citizen son/daughter who made an adjustment of status(currently pending) for their parents who already overstayed their visa for less tahn 180 days. Are they already considered as illegal immigrants and could possibly be affected with the newly elected president's campaign for illegal immigrants deportation? any insights for this is greatly appreciated. thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

In addition to both of these things, I did some research and it turns out that regarding both points he's talking about employment based green cards, he made no mention of marriage based green cards

All here are nervous, BUT think about it:

HOW LONG HAVE WE ALL BEEN IN AN ADMINISTRATION BLACK HOLE?

If there is a change in January it will not be back-dated, they already react so slowly it will take months to implement - as long as he does something in 4 years he will fulfil his campaign promise.

Expect in 2017 - Focus on:

How big is the problem

Plan to increase screening and amend process

Monitor current applications, work at same level - slow and spend current budget (it is already in place).

If he cuts it, the sausage machine will process the work in the pipeline and then look at the stack of applications afterwards.

What could happen is less "border crossing" asylum or citizen requests will fall and so peripheral work, applications and rejections will reduce as work will be transferred to ICE etc.

All here are nervous, BUT think about it:

HOW LONG HAVE WE ALL BEEN IN AN ADMINISTRATION BLACK HOLE?

If there is a change in January it will not be back-dated, they already react so slowly it will take months to implement - as long as he does something in 4 years he will fulfil his campaign promise.

Expect in 2017 - Focus on:

How big is the problem

Plan to increase screening and amend process

Monitor current applications, work at same level - slow and spend current budget (it is already in place).

If he cuts it, the sausage machine will process the work in the pipeline and then look at the stack of applications afterwards.

What could happen is less "border crossing" asylum or citizen requests will fall and so peripheral work, applications and rejections will reduce as work will be transferred to ICE etc.

I think this is the most likely action also. I don't think it'll be a case of 'Oh Trump's cut off legal immigration' at all. I think it'll be a gradual thing in which they'll look at the situation, assess it, and maybe down the road make some (in my opinion minor) altercations to it

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Trumpt never had a problem with gay marriage, he never said he will fight ,

Yes, he did.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/nov/03/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-says-donald-trump-wants-undo-marri/

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't think any of us can know what Trump plans to do or what he will do, or what he has the power to do. I am more afraid of the political climate than the law. I'm afraid of being jacked up by the police or ICE, and then who or what would prevent my husband being thrown out, or into immigration prison? Who would uphold the laws? Discretion is a big part of the implementation of the law.

Before anyone says, "if he is legal nothing will happen", I'm going to disagree. ICE already has said they don't accept the legal status he is now under that is part of the K-1 process (authorized stay per the attorney general) . Meaning they have already deported people in this status.

I'm trying not to panic but it's not easy. We will probably consult our attorney again and get specific details on our case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

his wife did work as a model in the US without the proper visa for it .

Thank you! Clearly I did not remember that correctly. I was pulling from memory for that!

If that is the case I would imagine he would have a ridiculous amount of backfire from taking any action against legal immigration considering his wife's history. It is all just speculation at this point!

Thanks again though!! I appreciate it!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

I came in through same-sex marriage with K1 visa. He may place a supreme court judge who could overturn that. I'm still on AOS. I hope his win doesn't affect us negatively. ?

Hi everyone.

I came here as a K-1 visa (same-sex marriage), I already got a 2 year green card last July, and kept hoping that Trump would not win. Well, now we have this forum and I'm kinda worried if my 10 year green card will be effected or even if I would be deported to my country when my 2 year GC expires since Trump does not seems like LGBT community.

Any smart idea if it would happen?

I think you'll be fine - I would imagine renewing Green Cards won't be an issue

I'm in a similar position. I came here on a K1 visa (same-sex marriage) and I'm due to start ROC in February 2017, filing at California. Even if USCIS were super quick (joke) my I-751 is unlikely to be adjudicated before August 2017. If the Defense of Marriage Act were to be brought back into force before then, or a similar law passed, my same-sex marriage would no longer be a 'qualifying marriage' as required by Section 216 of the INA. The basis for ROC would therefore, probably, be lost.

My only comforts in this matter are that it's unlikely that Republicans will be able to pass such a law fast enough for it to affect me. I also don't think that there's time to get a court case all the way to the supreme court before then. This stuff takes years.

Hopefully Trump will busy himself dealing with other matters before looking at any such curbs on legal immigration.

It's a worry though!

Spoiler

K1

15 November 2013: Sent I-129F Package 

21 November 2013: NOA1 

20 December 2013: NOA2

23 January 2014: Medical (London)

11 April 2014: Interview - Approved!

29 April 2014: POE Chicago

20 June 2014: Married in DC

AOS

7 July 2014: Mailed AOSEAD & AP forms via USPS

14 July 2014: NOA1 Text & E-Mails (x3) received at 23:52hrs (Received Date: 07/11/2014)

14 July 2014: Cheque cashed & I-485 transferred to Nebraska Service Centre

18 July 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received (x3)

22 July 2014: Biometrics Letter rec'd (Appointment 07/31/2014)

23 July 2014: Early Biometrics walk-in at Cincinnati office successful!

05 September 2014: EAD & AP approved! (texts rec'd 16:45hrs)

11 September 2014: EAD/AP card mailed

12 September 2014: EAD/AP card in hand (delivered 9:54am)

18 October 2014: Potential interview waiver letter rec'd (Dated: 10/15/2014)

19 May 2015: I-485 approved! (No interview) Welcome letter mailed!

23 May 2015: I-797 (NOA2) Welcome notice received

27 May 2015: Green card received

ROC

ROC filing window opens 18 February 2017

16 February 2017: ROC packet mailed to CSC

18 February 2017: USPS Tracking - Ready for collection from PO Box

25 February 2017: NOA1 received dated 02/21/2017

03 March 2017: Received biometrics appointment letter dated 25th February 2017. Appointment on 16 March 2017.

16 March 2017: Biometrics completed

08 March 2018: Case (allegedly) transferred to the National Benefits Center (presumably for a combo interview)

04 April 2019: ROC approved (as part of N-400 combo interview)

N-400

18 February 2018: N-400 Application submitted online

21 February 2018: NOA1 Rreceived

23 February 2018: Biometrics appointment letter received. Appointment 13 March 2018. 

27 April 2018: Interview notice received. Interview Date: June 5, 2018. Request to reschedule sent as out of the country at that time.

04 April 2019: Attended interview ... PASSED!

11 April 2019: Oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

I am concerned for my fiance. She in in Pakistan and we just got our NOA2 in the mail.

Here is what Trump wants to do in the first 100 days:

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/27/499489585/the-first-100-days-what-clinton-and-trump-want-to-get-done

Trump would also have the power to deport more than 2 million criminals in the country illegally, halt immigration from parts of the world he calls "terror prone," and quickly reverse many of the initiatives undertaken by President Obama.

^ This would basically include a bunch of Muslim countries including Pakistan

Anyone have any idea how long it takes an executive order to take effect?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

When did he say he was going to stop green cards for one or two years? In March, he said he would like to see H1B paused for a year or two because there are Americans looking for work who could do the jobs the people on H1B are doing. These people don't have green cards. They are temporary workers.

Remrmber he was just saying what his supporters wanted to hear. Many of them don't actually realise that he alone does not have the power to do any of this. He won't even be in office until January and even if he decides to change immigration policies it will take years. Nothing will change overnight.

*~*~*moved from "CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to general immigration news and discussion*~*~*

Well, with Congress under republican control. He does have a lot of power since most of these congressmen and women vote along party lines.

Nothing will change overnight but guess what, things can "slow down" and pushed off into next year.

When bills are proposed, not all of them make it to the house. Some get "killed" before they ever get a chance to get to the floor of the house. Just like Republicans have been doing for a while. So nothing is impossible.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.