candy-bitter45

K1 interview will be in 3 days... Now my fiance is not ready to get marry

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Dear all,

I'm so sad and confused now, I will have K1 visa interview on Friday but my fiance said he is not ready to get marry because he thinks our relationship is not working and we couldn't communicate when we were together 1 month for his third time visiting me in January. We've been together over 1 year, we decided to file K1 visa in November because he wants me to move to US so we can be together.

In January he came to visit me, we spent 1 month to travel together, we had good time but sometime we fought but we love each other. Now he told me he still love me but we couldn't communicate, he said I didn't say thank you when we had meals, I think we're couple, I'm grateful everything he did for me but to say thank you for every meals is so weird. Then he compared between me and his friends this issue. He uses everything to be a reason just because he scare to get marry (he never did before in 45 years). Then I asked him what does he want, but he still doesn't give me a solution. He loves me and scare to leave me but he said it's not easy to be with me, he feels the visa is a pressure. I can't cancel it because I don't want to, I love him and want to take a chance. I also don't want to have a bad impress with US consulate cause it will effect to my immigration in future if I apply for another visa.

He's being far from me, sometime he shows me he loves me but sometime he ignores me and there is something in his mind keep him far away from me. He wants me to give him 3 months if everything is good he will come back in summer, I want to think positive but if it doesn't work I will get hurt again. I don't know what to do now, should I continue do the visa or forget it? All my family and my friends know I'm getting marry and going to US with him, I don't know how to face with it. I don't have no job, no money because I spent time to travel with him lately. Please give me your advise, I'm so tired and stuck with this messy...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Contact the embassy and cancel the interview in 3 days. They may be able to give you a later interview after his next visit?

I think there are some cultural differences you guys need to deal with, talk talk talk. Saying thank you after a meal is pretty common in western cultures.

But there is much more then that. I think it's good he says it now then after you have already made the move! .. and he is not saying he never will marry just that he needs time and wants to do another visit which seems like a very good idea so you guys can talk and see if this is really what you both want to do. This is why face to face time is so important.

Filed: Timeline

I agree with the above comment. Reschedule and give it more time. In the meantime, spend time looking at other forums, like major changes to family and the AOS and removal of conditions. It will give you a fel for the actual success rate. Remember it takes 2-3 years to really get to know someone. You wouldn't want to get all the way here only to find out it did work out.

I think he's taking a VERY reasonable approach. You have nothing but time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sorry to hear that!. I never expect my fiance' to say "thank you" on meals. it's really not neccessary. Did he sent all the documents(I-134 ect..)for your interview? if not u might need to reschedule your interview day

If he's not ready then he's not ready. He is being honest with how he feels. This should be congratulated, he would be a worse person to have these misgivings and not tell you until you are out in the US.

As for saying thank you, well that's just good manners. My husband and I have split the cost of meals for all of our 12 year relationship and if he treats me by paying for both of us or I treat him by paying for both of us then we thank the other person as it is a nice thing for them to do. I certainly don't expect it of him and brush it off without saying thank you. If he does it repeatedly in a week as I was feeling down or ill, which he has done before, I would even comment on how he is being nice and thoughtful to show that I have acknowledged and appreciated his kindness. Don't think this is odd.

You say if it ends you will be hurt again, is this due to having a previous American boyfriend where it ended?

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Your fiance has a legitimate concern that should not be passed off. Reschedule and work on your relationship.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Dear all,

I'm so sad and confused now, I will have K1 visa interview on Friday but my fiance said he is not ready to get marry because he thinks our relationship is not working and we couldn't communicate when we were together 1 month for his third time visiting me in January. We've been together over 1 year, we decided to file K1 visa in November because he wants me to move to US so we can be together.

In January he came to visit me, we spent 1 month to travel together, we had good time but sometime we fought but we love each other. Now he told me he still love me but we couldn't communicate, he said I didn't say thank you when we had meals, I think we're couple, I'm grateful everything he did for me but to say thank you for every meals is so weird. Then he compared between me and his friends this issue. He uses everything to be a reason just because he scare to get marry (he never did before in 45 years). Then I asked him what does he want, but he still doesn't give me a solution. He loves me and scare to leave me but he said it's not easy to be with me, he feels the visa is a pressure. I can't cancel it because I don't want to, I love him and want to take a chance. I also don't want to have a bad impress with US consulate cause it will effect to my immigration in future if I apply for another visa.

He's being far from me, sometime he shows me he loves me but sometime he ignores me and there is something in his mind keep him far away from me. He wants me to give him 3 months if everything is good he will come back in summer, I want to think positive but if it doesn't work I will get hurt again. I don't know what to do now, should I continue do the visa or forget it? All my family and my friends know I'm getting marry and going to US with him, I don't know how to face with it. I don't have no job, no money because I spent time to travel with him lately. Please give me your advise, I'm so tired and stuck with this messy...

Hi Tara28,

I'm sorry that this is happening now, just a few days before the interview, but I do agree with the other posters that if he feels he needs more time than you should give it more time. I understand that the K1 petition expires within 4 months of approval, and if you both aren't able to reschedule prior to the expiration date you may need to reapply. But it's better to take your time (if that's truly what he wants) than either party feeling pressured or rushed, as you mentioned that's how he's feeling. Moving to the U.S. is a big decision for you, you'll be leaving everything behind, so you also want to be sure that your relationship is secure before making such a move. Think about the long term effects of your decision in addition to the short term.

There are arguments in every relationship, and the cultural differences can make it even more challenging. But definitely something you can both overcome with time, patience, and the willingness to learn and understand one another's culture better. Firsthand, I know it's not easy to face family and friends after they already have all of these expectations, but it's your life and you have to make the best decision for you. I'm sure they will respect it. It's not to say that the marriage won't happen, just may require a bit more time.

USCIS Stage

Marriage: 3/7/15

I-130 Sent: 5/29/15

NOA1: 6/2/15

NOA2 (approval): 12/01/15

NVC Stage (CR1)

NVC Received Case: 12/30/15

DS-261 Submitted: 1/11/16

Paid AOS fee: 1/13/16

Paid IV fee: 1/22/16

AOS & IV Package sent: 2/3/16

NVC Scan Date: 2/5/16

Case Complete: 3/8/16

NVC email w/Interview Letter: 3/10/16

Interview Date: 4/21/16

Interview Result: Approved!!

I-751: Removing of Conditions

http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

Converting out of state driver's license (MA)

http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/license/9oos.htm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Like your fiancee, I had never been married when I first met my wife, and I was also 45 yrs old. Unlike your situation, we didn't get married until 8 years after meeting. I would advise you to be patient. I would say most men who have never been married at 45 yrs old, are going to be cautious about hurrying into marriage. If you give him some time and space, he is going to appreciate that.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

I can understand, its good manners but manners in East vs West can be very different. I certainly can see not saying thank you for every meal/thing. If hes been taking you out in Nam, hes been paying what $10 USD? max for the both of you? Please. Its not like hes taking you out to $100 steak dinners.

Theres going to be some of those little things you'll have to learn and get over about each other.

But Hes being honest about some of his misguidedness.

So thats somewhat commendable. Personally Id just push to pursue coming. See if that changes things. If not. You go home. Being unemployed now and going back unemployed doesn't sound so difficult to me. Finding a job now vs 3 mos from now doesn't sound like a big deal in VN for the types of conventional jobs available. Personally I wouldnt want to cancel / postpone right at the end. Maybe the lack of distance will help. You still have 90 days to get married once here.

PErsonally for me although my wife and I certainly have our escalations....I'm glad our long distance communication/relationship didn't last one day longer...that was a real drag. I dont think our relationship could grow much more than it did by that time so it was just a bit montonous and tedious. If you guys struggle to communicate now, over 1/2 a planet away and are unable to bridge that divide now, I dont think magic will happen in 90days....but maybe you can see some signs it will improve when you guys can communicate in person.

A month there is different he likely couldn't' communicate w/ you well and anyone else at all. Here it may be completely inverted, but perhaps he'll be more comfortable that way and if you are fine with it than maybe less issues for you then vs now.

Its a bit odd you filed, he commited an entire month with you which is no small feat, and then has some misgivings 6 wks later...right at interview day.

I think you guys need to have some real honest dialog and then either move on or forward.

regardless good luck OP

Edited by heo luoi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I can understand, its good manners but manners in East vs West can be very different. I certainly can see not saying thank you for every meal/thing. If hes been taking you out in Nam, hes been paying what $10 USD? max for the both of you? Please. Its not like hes taking you out to $100 steak dinners.

Theres going to be some of those little things you'll have to learn and get over about each other.

But Hes being honest about some of his misguidedness.

So thats somewhat commendable. Personally Id just push to pursue coming. See if that changes things. If not. You go home. Being unemployed now and going back unemployed doesn't sound so difficult to me. Finding a job now vs 3 mos from now doesn't sound like a big deal in VN for the types of conventional jobs available. Personally I wouldnt want to cancel / postpone right at the end. Maybe the lack of distance will help. You still have 90 days to get married once here.

PErsonally for me although my wife and I certainly have our escalations....I'm glad our long distance communication/relationship didn't last one day longer...that was a real drag. I dont think our relationship could grow much more than it did by that time so it was just a bit montonous and tedious. If you guys struggle to communicate now, over 1/2 a planet away and are unable to bridge that divide now, I dont think magic will happen in 90days....but maybe you can see some signs it will improve when you guys can communicate in person.

A month there is different he likely couldn't' communicate w/ you well and anyone else at all. Here it may be completely inverted, but perhaps he'll be more comfortable that way and if you are fine with it than maybe less issues for you then vs now.

Its a bit odd you filed, he commited an entire month with you which is no small feat, and then has some misgivings 6 wks later...right at interview day.

I think you guys need to have some real honest dialog and then either move on or forward.

regardless good luck OP

That is just ungrateful. It doesn't matter how much he spends. People should be appreciated for whatever contribution they make towards a relationship.

I can understand that it is differences in culture. For instance, expecting one to say "Thank you" for every meal is not common in African culture. But OP should understand that her partner is different and from a different background. You need to compromise. Same expectation will be required of her when she moves here because that's how Americans are. And they expect that.

Like everyone else has mentioned, OP should cancel or reschedule the interview and try to reconcile some of the differences they are facing now.

OP would have expected her fiance to adapt to her culture if he was the one moving to stay in her country.

I hope you two can compromise.

Good luck!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.