alundra06

My sister overstayed her Tourist visa

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Malawi
Timeline

Hello everybody,

My sister came to the US on a tourist visa in 2011 and she overstayed.

This morning (As of 11/15/12) Immigration team came to my brother's house to look for her but fortunately or unfortunately she wasn't there because she moved to a different house.

- My question right now is what should we do to prevent her deportation (If this is what's going to happen)?

- Is it safe for her to go out now or should she hide (Which is very bad).

Please advise.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hello everybody,

This morning (As of 11/15/12) Immigration team came to my brother's house to look for her but fortunately or unfortunately she wasn't there because she moved to a different house.

- My question right now is what should we do to prevent her deportation (If this is what's going to happen)?

Please advise.

The longer she overstays the worse it is for her if she ever wants to come back. You can't prevent her deportation: she overstayed her visa and there is nothing you can do to change that. The best thing for her is to leave the country ASAP!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Unless she finds a US citizen to marry and file to adjust her status (which would raise red flags) she has no legal path to remain in the US that I am aware of.

Immigration wouldn't have been looking for her unless they intended to deport her. She is subject to being detained at any time and her best move would be to leave now on her own terms rather than waiting for a court to deport her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello everybody,

Please advise.

She will have to go back to her country unless she wants to live illegally in US. How is that she moved to another house? Do you know where she is? If you contact her explain her that she has to leave or otherwise if they find her they will deport her and I think that will be worse and she will have a 10 years ban or maybe a life ban.

Is your sister's plan to stay to live here?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

[...]

Please advise.

I am sorry for it may sound somewhat insensitive of me, but the best advice is that you put her on a plane back home where she needs not run and hide from the police.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm a bit curious what caused immigration to come looking for her. As far as I know they don't go looking for people for just an overstay, there's usually some other things involved.

I was wondering the same thing...

Husband's AOS Journey from VWP Entry

6/22/2012 Boyfriend entered US under VWP

9/15/2012 We got married!

9/21/2012 Stamp on passport expired

9/28/2012 Mailed I-130 & I-485 packets to Chicago Lock box via USPS Priority

10/2/2012 Received Date

10/4/2012 Notice Date

10/9/2012 Received text & email notifications for NOA (4 forms)

10/12/2012 Received hard copies of NOAs (all 4 forms- I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)

10/15/2012 Received NOA with Biometrics Appointment

10/30/2012 Completed Biometrics (completed on date assigned)

12/11/2012 EAD & AP Approved

12/20/2012 EAD/AP Combo Card Arrived

2/6/2013 Notification for Interview

3/15/2013 Interview- APPROVED!!!! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So she was staying with your Brother and is now staying with you and you are concerned about the consequences?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm a bit curious what caused immigration to come looking for her. As far as I know they don't go looking for people for just an overstay, there's usually some other things involved.

I agree with you. I don't know of that either. it has to be something else.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

So she was staying with your Brother and is now staying with you and you are concerned about the consequences?

Section 274 felony under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act INA 274A(a)(1)(A). Encouraging & Harboring Illegal Aliens: It is a violation of law for any person to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection in any place, including any building or means of transportation, any alien who is in the United States in violation of law. Harboring means any conduct that tends to substantially facilitate an alien to remain in the U.S. illegally. Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Section 274 felony under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act INA 274A(a)(1)(A). Encouraging & Harboring Illegal Aliens: It is a violation of law for any person to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection in any place, including any building or means of transportation, any alien who is in the United States in violation of law. Harboring means any conduct that tends to substantially facilitate an alien to remain in the U.S. illegally. Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime.

Isn't that ironic. Crossing the border illegally in itself is only a misdemeanor, but if you harbor the person committing the misdemeanor, it is a felony.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Isn't that ironic. Crossing the border illegally in itself is only a misdemeanor, but if you harbor the person committing the misdemeanor, it is a felony.

It isn't a misdemeanour.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.