alundra06

My sister overstayed her Tourist visa

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
1353170775[/url]' post='5828147']

That's right.

Every Moroccan who abuses the visitor visa to illegally live in the US is responsible for keeping Moroccan families apart.

The reason it takes so long and the US Embassy in Morocco is so difficult is because of Moroccans who lie and abuse the US government's hospitality. Why should the US government let Moroccans visit if a significant number choose to immigrate illegally?

If Moroccans did not abuse the visitor visas and all return home, then it would not be an issue for the US government to give out visitor visas to Moroccans.

Same hold true for my home country, Vietnam. If Vietnamese did not abuse the US immigration system, then it would be easier for my family to visit as well. Unfortunately, the Vietnamese have ruined it by committing a high level of fraud.

Amen to that good.gif

Edited by foreverwaiting

A prime example of what the consequences are for those who choose to thumb their noses at our laws....those they leave behind bear the brunt of those decisions. Denials are rarely the fault of a VO; more than likely, depending on the country, this sort of thing (which the VOs can and will find out about) has a long lasting effect, since now every new applicant offering the same reasons as to why they would obey our laws are viewed in a highly skeptical manner.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

She is 36 and i am pretty sure she didn't do anything to get the immigration attention,I am really surprised why they were looking for her.

My sister is like millions of immigrants she entered this country legally and she wants to start a new life here in the US because i always remember when she first came here during her first visit (She went back to Morocco after the first visit by the way) and she told this is the first time i feel like I am living a respectful life and feel a lot of dignity. so all she needs is living a normal life in this country and be close to her family.

she can't stay here given her current visa status.

to change that, she'll need to marry an american citizen and file for an adjustment of status.

USUALLY the overstay is forgiven when the green card is issued.

What type of life does she intend to live, in the USA?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

she can't stay here given her current visa status.

to change that, she'll need to marry an american citizen and file for an adjustment of status.

USUALLY the overstay is forgiven when the green card is issued.

What type of life does she intend to live, in the USA?

all of this suggests that illegal sis has been working illegally, essentially stealing a job from an American citizen...gosh...some respect for our laws...neither by her nor her relatives....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, that 'dignity' thing threw me for a bit. There is no dignity to work illegally, live illegally.

There is some dignity for getting on the plane, leaving USA, though.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

ya, that 'dignity' thing threw me for a bit. There is no dignity to work illegally, live illegally.

There is some dignity for getting on the plane, leaving USA, though.

To start let me be clear. I do not suport illegal immigration.

That been said, when one is hungry, desperate and otherwise destitue (not suggesting that OPs Sister is for Gods sake) your statement would be invalid.

The OP never fully disclosed the situation and he doesn't have to, but we don't have enough to go on the offensive.

To start let me be clear. I do not suport illegal immigration.

That been said, when one is hungry, desperate and otherwise destitue (not suggesting that OPs Sister is for Gods sake) your statement would be invalid.

The OP never fully disclosed the situation and he doesn't have to, but we don't have enough to go on the offensive.

We either have laws or we don't....if everyone who came to this country decided to obey only those laws that suited them, well, do we really want those types in the US of A? I don't. The OP's sister received the trust of the US government....this is how she repays that trust....I for one, have zero tolerance for those who think they are above the law or come up with a thousand and one silly excuses why they disobeyed our laws and violated our trust...those are just excuses for irresponsible behavior. The OP and their relatives are prime examples of why other citizens of Morocco will continue to find difficulty obtaining tourist visas...trust is hard to come by. Of course, it is likely that the OP and his relatives don't care about their other countrymen in Morocco....they just want some loophole that illegal sis can squeeze through and emerge with a greencard....totally unearned. What would you say to all those folks waiting their turn to immigrate LEGALLY to our country if illegal sister gets rewarded for her complete disregard for our laws? Why should she have an advantage over those same folks? I can't think of a single one....

We either have laws or we don't....if everyone who came to this country decided to obey only those laws that suited them, well, do we really want those types in the US of A? I don't. The OP's sister received the trust of the US government....this is how she repays that trust....I for one, have zero tolerance for those who think they are above the law or come up with a thousand and one silly excuses why they disobeyed our laws and violated our trust...those are just excuses for irresponsible behavior. The OP and their relatives are prime examples of why other citizens of Morocco will continue to find difficulty obtaining tourist visas...trust is hard to come by. Of course, it is likely that the OP and his relatives don't care about their other countrymen in Morocco....they just want some loophole that illegal sis can squeeze through and emerge with a greencard....totally unearned. What would you say to all those folks waiting their turn to immigrate LEGALLY to our country if illegal sister gets rewarded for her complete disregard for our laws? Why should she have an advantage over those same folks? I can't think of a single one....

To ask that they be judged based on their own individual merit and to make sure that those that violate immigration laws are punished to the full extent of the law. That's what I would say.

I'm sorry but I don't beleive the horse manure about punishing an entire class of population because of a few scofflaws.

BTW, my Fiancee was denied a visa so I know the pain of denying those of us going the proper and legal way. I still ask that Consulate Officers don't take the easy lazy way out and deny willy nilly isntead of doing actual work.

We're just flapjawwing anyways. The authorities are after her already and they will get her. Perhaps they should sweeten the pot and go after those that are haboring her and charge them with felonies. Anything but to punish a whole class of nationality becasue of one scofflaw.

IMHO, even if she marries a USC, she should have to go back to Morocco and adjust status from there.

To ask that they be judged based on their own individual merit and to make sure that those that violate immigration laws are punished to the full extent of the law. That's what I would say.

I'm sorry but I don't beleive the horse manure about punishing an entire class of population because of a few scofflaws.

BTW, my Fiancee was denied a visa so I know the pain of denying those of us going the proper and legal way. I still ask that Consulate Officers don't take the easy lazy way out and deny willy nilly isntead of doing actual work.

We're just flapjawwing anyways. The authorities are after her already and they will get her. Perhaps they should sweeten the pot and go after those that are haboring her and charge them with felonies. Anything but to punish a whole class of nationality becasue of one scofflaw.

IMHO, even if she marries a USC, she should have to go back to Morocco and adjust status from there.

Well, the first problem with your idea is that Congress lacks the intestinal fortitude to allow various agencies to enforce the laws on the books...second, by admitting people for 6 months and allowing AOS from tourist visas, the stage is set for abuse...and with waivers handed out like candy for those who ignore our laws and violate the trust given to them at one time, well, there's little motivation to obey the rules. The COs know this (those with some experience) and armed with the knowledge that the borders are a sieve, and hearing the same stories and sifting through the same collection of fake documents, who are they supposed to believe? they should not believe some random unhappy BF or GF because they will say anything and often are the same ones to encourage their foreign SO to 'change their mind', thus adding to the problem.

Put yourself in the COs shoes for a moment....you interview, let's say, 100 people a day...50 of them are 20-30 years old, single women, who claim they just want to visit a 'friend' or perhaps a relative, and tell you that they 'have to' return because of their studies or their (supposedly) elderly parents or some such thing...suppose you grant 25 of them visas and 24 of them 'forget' to come back...what is the probability you will issue 25 visas the next day to the same demographic group? I'd say about nil....why put yourself in a position to be taken advantage of...(and also assume that the stats from your colleagues is similar)...so whose 'fault' is it? The ones who violate our trust and our laws....I agree....toss them, bar them, forget waivers...that might sink in a little deeper.

Edited by Noah Lot

To ask that they be judged based on their own individual merit and to make sure that those that violate immigration laws are punished to the full extent of the law. That's what I would say.I'm sorry but I don't beleive the horse manure about punishing an entire class of population because of a few scofflaws.BTW, my Fiancee was denied a visa so I know the pain of denying those of us going the proper and legal way. I still ask that Consulate Officers don't take the easy lazy way out and deny willy nilly isntead of doing actual work.We're just flapjawwing anyways. The authorities are after her already and they will get her. Perhaps they should sweeten the pot and go after those that are haboring her and charge them with felonies. Anything but to punish a whole class of nationality becasue of one scofflaw.IMHO, even if she marries a USC, she should have to go back to Morocco and adjust status from there.

I agree that it's unfair to make nationality and statistics a part of any visa application. However, the harsh reality is that we live in a world where the state department and consulates only have so much time, money and resources. It is virtually impossible for a consul to make a firm decision on each case on a fully individual basis - the state department simply does not have the resources to do so. So when citizens of country A have a visa violation rate of 4%, a very low rate of fraud cases and an average income of $30,000 a year, and citizens of country B have a violation rate of 40%, high fraud rate and an average income of $3,000 a year - it makes sense.

I agree that it's unfair to make nationality and statistics a part of any visa application. However, the harsh reality is that we live in a world where the state department and consulates only have so much time, money and resources. It is virtually impossible for a consul to make a firm decision on each case on a fully individual basis - the state department simply does not have the resources to do so. So when citizens of country A have a visa violation rate of 4%, a very low rate of fraud cases and an average income of $30,000 a year, and citizens of country B have a violation rate of 40%, high fraud rate and an average income of $3,000 a year - it makes sense.

I understand your position but I continued to disagree.

If the United States cannot do the work as diligently, humane and fair like we broadcast to the world then they need to charge for the Visa fee only upon approval.

Getting a government benefit that is paid for shouldn't be left to whims, personal opinion and speculations of an individual government clerk.

I refuse to accept that we can send a robot to Mars, build Hoover Dam and do all those great things that makes me proud to be an American yet we cannot find out if a relationship is bonafide or not regardless of frauds from the particular country.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, whatever the reason why the immigration is going after her. It's still best to send her back home or suffer the consequences of hiding her.. Ooops!.. not to mention how all your family member are going to suffer the consequences, you know what I mean right?

My thought, just do the right thing and not to suffer.

All the best!

I understand your position but I continued to disagree.

If the United States cannot do the work as diligently, humane and fair like we broadcast to the world then they need to charge for the Visa fee only upon approval.

Getting a government benefit that is paid for shouldn't be left to whims, personal opinion and speculations of an individual government clerk.

I refuse to accept that we can send a robot to Mars, build Hoover Dam and do all those great things that makes me proud to be an American yet we cannot find out if a relationship is bonafide or not regardless of frauds from the particular country.

consular officers are not government clerks....

the simplest solution to visa abuse is, once discovered, never ever reward it! End all waivers, end all AOS from tourist visas....neither of these two actions would cost the US taxpayer a single farthing! No more salvation for visa cheats by marrying some Amcit...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.