yankeelimer

Some K1 relationships sound crazy

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If the K1 does not seem to be the right visa for you don't dump that on the rest of us. You make a lot of assumptions about people that file the K1 that are not true and, quite frankly, offensive.

There are a multitude of reasons why people go for one visa over another.

Just to give you an example: right now, a K-1 through Ghana takes about a year vs the CR1/IR1 which can take up to 2 years. Which do you think people would prefer??????????

By the way, the process is long and expensive regardless of whether its a K1 or CR1. That's what happens when someone decides to form a relationship with someone in another country. Its not my problem if someone else cannot afford to go see their SO or afford the whole process.

This process can ruin any relationship. There are equally horrific stories from people who came on a fiance AND spousal visa.

Bringing a spouse over vs a fiance/fiancee does not make the relationship more legitimate. Many people on here are together for a year or more and have multiple trips before and during the K1 process.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

The K1 is not designed for people to "get to know" each other. If you dont know if you are ready to spend the rest of your life with this person, please do us all a favor and don't do the K1. It would definitely shorten the number of applications and would speed up the process for those of us who are. There is a tourist Visa for those that arent sure. You can learn alot about someone in 90 days and it could save time and money by bringing out potential problems before jumping into the K1 visa process. My best advice, for this or anyone considering getting married, if you arent 100% sure, DONT Do it! Just my 2 cents.

+1

A K-1 should be done when you are sure that you are ready to be with this person long-term. There's no grace period. If you really want to live with a person before deciding to get married, nothing is stopping you. You just won't be able to do iyt in the US. You can live in their home country. Then when you feel ready, apply for the visa.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

A visa to let people live together? :lol:

Don't they have that in Australia? I'm not 100% sure, so someone from Australia please correct me if needed :-)

US is just so set on marriage, that they don't recognize a steady, committed relationship without having to tie the knot - which I personally haven't even wanted, but am doing it because that is the only (or at least the easiest) way for us to be together and build a life in the US.

11/30/2010 I-129F package sent

5/16/2011 NOA2

5/24/2011 Medical

5/27/2011 fly over to US, stay for 2 months

8/22/2011 Visa Interview in Helsinki

9/6/2011 Visa in hand

9/23/2011 PoE in Boston

12/2/2011 Marriage!

12/28/2011 AoS sent

4/28/2012 Green Card received! No Interview :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

OP -- game well played! :whistle: A post of randomess and assumptions to get the "natives" fired up. :rolleyes: Happy Monday folks.

July 2007 We met in Jamaica, WI (Monetgo Bay) through mutual friends
Oct. 2010 Formally Engaged!!!!
Nov 1, 2010 Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX (via Fed Ex)
Nov 2, 2010 Fed Ex received by J. Cates
Nov 5, 2010 NOA1 (via email notification) off to Vermont we go!!!!!!
Nov 8, 2010 Touch and Check was cashed!!
Nov 10 2010 Touch and Hard Copy of NOA1 received
Nov 12 2010 Touch
Nov 15 2010 Touch

ROC

Sept 30. 2013 Mailing i-751

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

they foreigner only has to stay with his/her spouse 5 years and then is free. that is what should be extended to cut fraud. So, many 20 year old women will marry old men to get a visa.

I honestly think the K1 visa process and immigration could ruin a relationship, it puts way too much pressure on the foreign spouse to immediately give up everything in their life and move to another country after barely knowing someone. Now they are there with nothing to go back to, or onerous process of rebuilding employment/life, and plane tickets are expensive and travel can disrupt the costly and time consuming permanent residency process. Seems like a good way to rush a nascent relationship and spoil it with one spouse feeling like they have no power and are essentially a prisoner in a foreign country. It encourages rushing into marriage as well which is never good, I imagine a lot of these relationships are still in the infatuation stage.

There are people posting about getting the physical meeting out of the way so they can file for K1, what?! That is koo koo cocoapuffs! Hell at least the marriage of convenience and fraud cases both people know what they are diving into so at least no one is going to get hurt.

The one scenario where it does make sense is when two people want to try furthering a relationship, but the foreign partners country is too dangerous or unstable for it to be an option. But even then the pressure to get married is suffocating.

I don't have a good answer, and I have nothing against any couples going through the process, I just think its not a good process for building a marriage and relationship. Perhaps the marriage time limit should be extended or the other demands on the couple removed.

Filed: Timeline

I couldn't agree more with so many comments on here. I especially like the comment about relationships here based on lust. And so many of you said it...why on earth would you commit to be engaged to someone without going there and meeting them first. I also agree that the length of time a couple is required to be together should be much longer. There are so many fraud cases out there. In my case, I talked with my husband online for almost a year before I went to visit him. There were no talks of marriage or a visa. When I was there with him for almost a month, that's when talks of marriage began. But we both knew it would be a while longer before we were sure of that. I went again that following year and met his family...spending that time with him...what made me decide to do the K1 visa was not "could I live with this man for all my life?"...it was "could i live without him all my life?" I couldn't have made a better decision. The entire process took a long time...but it was time we both needed to realize what it means to be in love and appreciate our time together.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have no idea what you hope to gain from this post. I don't see why you just couldn't keep those comments to yourself.

True, I see some relationships on this board that I think are a bit ridiculous but those are few and far between.

Please, sir, tell me about your highly successful relationships that let you look down upon us K-1 filers with your long nose of yours :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i agree with you yankeelimer, oh and i've been in the US for 7 months on vwp's while the process is going through for reasons you mentioned

Edited by emh836

K-1 Timeline

22 Nov 10 - NOA1

29 Apr 11 - NOA2

09 May 11 - NVC receive, medical booked

11 May 11 - NVC complete

12 May 11 - NVC depart & packet 3 forms sent

16 May 11 - Consulate receive package from NVC and packet 3 forms

18 May 11 - Consulate log electronic application from NVC

23 May 11 - Consulate log physical package and packet 3

25 May 11 - Packet 3 franked at US embassy

26 May 11 - Packet 3 arrives & MRV fee paid

31 May 11 - Medical

23 Jun 11 - Packet 4 received

13 Jul 11 - Interview

19 Jul 11 - Visa received & US entry

AOS & EAD

11 Aug 11 - Noa1

13 Sep 11 - Biometrics apt

18 Oct 11 - EAD approved - card ordered

1 Nov 11 - AOS interview

I couldn't agree more with so many comments on here. I especially like the comment about relationships here based on lust. And so many of you said it...why on earth would you commit to be engaged to someone without going there and meeting them first. I also agree that the length of time a couple is required to be together should be much longer. There are so many fraud cases out there. In my case, I talked with my husband online for almost a year before I went to visit him. There were no talks of marriage or a visa. When I was there with him for almost a month, that's when talks of marriage began.

It's ironic that you criticize people for rushing into marriage without meeting and then admit that you within "almost a month" of meeting your online boyfriend, you were talking about marriage and visas. You don't think meeting somebody for the first time and then talking marriage within a month is fast? (I guess you are counting the year that you "dated" online.)

With that said, people who meet their fiance online, and are then ready for marriage within a few months, and only meet in person to satisfy the K-1 requirements are completely nuts. I made about 10 trips over 19 months since we met before I knew that I wanted to propose.

I have no idea what you hope to gain from this post. I don't see why you just couldn't keep those comments to yourself.

True, I see some relationships on this board that I think are a bit ridiculous but those are few and far between.

Please, sir, tell me about your highly successful relationships that let you look down upon us K-1 filers with your long nose of yours :)

I don't think he was judging K-1 filers, he is complaining about the K-1 process.

I couldn't agree more with so many comments on here. I especially like the comment about relationships here based on lust. And so many of you said it...why on earth would you commit to be engaged to someone without going there and meeting them first. I also agree that the length of time a couple is required to be together should be much longer. There are so many fraud cases out there. In my case, I talked with my husband online for almost a year before I went to visit him. There were no talks of marriage or a visa. When I was there with him for almost a month, that's when talks of marriage began. But we both knew it would be a while longer before we were sure of that. I went again that following year and met his family...spending that time with him...what made me decide to do the K1 visa was not "could I live with this man for all my life?"...it was "could i live without him all my life?" I couldn't have made a better decision. The entire process took a long time...but it was time we both needed to realize what it means to be in love and appreciate our time together.

My husband and I lived for nearly three years together in the US (on a student visa) and had long-distance dated, with him coming to see me every nine weeks or so, for two years before that before we decided to get engaged. *I* think online dating for two years and then only knowing the guy in person for a month and a little bit more before getting engaged is absolutely rushing it.

My relationship process was better than your relationship process. So there!

Edited by HannahP

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.