yankeelimer

Some K1 relationships sound crazy

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I can appreciate where the OP is coming from and don't think it's a silly notion (aside from the whole "visa to live together" angle). It would be nice if there were a better visa option for fiance(e)s who want to see if they could be happy in the US. Tourist visas can be quite difficult to obtain in some countries, and they're 'non-immigrant' so your'e committing fraud if you get one and say you have no intention of immigrating.

It's a somewhat romantic notion to think you can love someone enough to be happy anywhere. I don't think that's necessarily true, at least not true for everyone. It's a responsible, mature desire to want to spend some time in the US to determine whether you could be happy there. In addition, you can't allow your relationship to grow at a distance in the same way. Sure, you can fall in love and learn all sorts of things about each other and build a great foundation; you can do that over visits, too. But living in the US together will be inevitably different. You will see a different side of both partners - you will see how the potential immigrant adapts to change and a new environment, and whether that suits the USC. And the foreign citizen will see how the USC is on their home turf - for example, he/she may be more independent and different than when traveling outside the US. And does that suit the foreign partner?

The government makes it hard to allow for such time or "research." There might be more successful marriages of this sort if they did.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
:pop: t...r...o...l...l...

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

When love comes into your heart not everybody starts from a same principle! Everyone has the right to manifest love in his own way....

Some need more time to formalize their relationship and others not!

Some were part of disappointment when they discover that their relationship was not based on love but rather on a greencard or others foreigners coming here became house maid or even abused. And so, this relationships was not based on love but interest !!!! But for those who love truly does not matter that they were married after one week or after 10 years and for the love to not vanish you should work on it from the first day till the last. But in the end what is certain in life is that nothing is certain and everything has an end.

Its like the governments expect you to decide whether you're going to commit for life without ever living together even, thats silly.

I believe that what is silly is thinking that everyone needs to live together in order to commit to a relationship. Some of us becuase of religious/faith reasons do not live together. We enter a relationship knowing this is serious thing. I think the K1 process teaches you patience as a couple. It teaches you to communicate with your partner.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Silly me. Here I was thinking those laws are meant to protect US citizens.

Imagine the affidavit of support. "I, John Doe, want to co-sponsor my son's girlfriend to see if they'll hit it off. If things don't work out I'm the one to contact moneywise. She will leave US if relationship is terminated. If not, she's free to travel the country on my expense. Here is my credit card information. Signed, John Doe."

A "try to live together" visa still requires at least one person to move which can be just as hard as this entire process.

Have a good monday :)

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm all for the "just living with my boyfriend/girlfriend for a while to see if it works out" visa.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

The K-1 visa started because some USC could not marry in the foreign fiance(e)'s home country. Some of the reasons are religion, foreign fiance(e)'s government not allowing marriages to foreigners, needing parent's permission.

Since immigration laws have not been changed in the last 50 or so years the k-1 visa will still be there. If you would like to have a visa to bring over your foreign fiance(e) I suggest start writing to your congressman/congresswoman to change the immigration laws.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Entering into any marriage should not be done lightly -- whether to a foreigner or someone from this country. The K1 visa should not be used as a "get to know you" visa.

I understand that it's frustrating, expensive, and time-consuming. But why on earth would anyone start the K1 process unless they KNEW they wanted to be married to the person?

We spent two years visiting each other, talking daily, getting to know each other, "dating" in an unconventional sense before we got married. We didn't get engaged until a year after we started dating.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

It's hard to have lust when you are separated by thousands of miles.

:whistle:

Our visa journey

December 5th, 2009: Janeth and I meet online

January 3rd, 2011: Our one year anniversary as a couple!

January 11th, 2011: I-129f packet mailed out to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

January 12th, 2011: Packet arrives in Dallas

January 18th, 2011: $340 check cashed by USCIS

May 16th, 2011: NOA2 notice received via text message / on USCIS website!

May 20th, 2011: Paper copy of NOA2 received in the mail

May 24th, 2011: Application forwarded from NVC to U.S. Embassy in Bogota

July 29th, 2011: K-1 visa approved by U.S. Embassy in Bogota!!!

Filed: Other Country: Guyana
Timeline

Are you pulling these "facts" from your twisted landscape of an imagination, or is someone feeding spoonfuls of bullshit to you?

Don't put all of us in your little box, my friend. Just because you've seen a few sad cases doesn't mean the process is flawed.

Wish this was Fb so i can "Like" this comment. haha woahhh ....well to each their own to the person that started this post...smdh!

Jun 02, 2011- Applied for I-129F (I-129F) Visa

USCIS

Jun 08, 2011- NOA1 Received I-129F

Jun 13, 2011- USCIS Acceptance confirmation (via Email)

Jun 16, 2011- Received NOA1 Hardcopy

Nov 15, 2011- Put in Service Request (Over 5months)

Nov 23, 2011- Response via email to SR (case "Pending")

Nov 28, 2011- Wrote letter to My district's Representative thru webpage (Gregory Meeks)

Dec 02, 2011- Went to the Local Reps office to have them look into the case further

Dec 07, 2011- Wrote email to the vermont service center ( the got back to me Dec 20, of course to tell me I was approved due to the congressman's inquiry)

Dec 08, 2011- Congressman/Local Rep's inquiry made

Dec 09, 2011- USCIS Text/Email with approval (NOA2) 6 months and 2 days

Dec 14, 2011- Receive NOA2 Hardcopy

NVC

Dec 14, 2011 NVC Received -Got Case number(YAY)

Dec 16, 2012 NVC Left

Consulate

Dec 28, 2011 Consulate Received Case

Dec 28, 2011 Packet 3 Received (via email upon my request)

Dec 29, 2011 Packet 3 Sent

Jan 05, 2012 Packet 4 Received

Jan 25, 2012 Interview

Jan 28, 2012 VISA IN HAND! Yay!

Feb 18, 2012 Hand in hand; NYC Bound to enjoy the COLD with me....staying warm of course *wink wink* \

Mar 24, 2012 OUR BIG DAY

May 07, 2012 Mailed AOS, EAD and AP( Express 2 day )

May 09, 2012 Packet received and signed for

May 11, 2012 Email/Text receipt

God you know my heart and its desire, I'll wait for your time :)

So what benefits would children born out of this living together arrangement get. Would they not be US citizens until the parents are married, how will childsupport be established if the parents don't hit it off, and they are now required to return home.

These are my questions?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Me and my fiance "dated" online from dec '08 til nov/dec '09 before I flew to the US to meet him. I flew over 3 times (incl. a full summer) to build our relationship before we even filed for K1 in Oct. 2010. After that I flew 2 times over (for New Years and this summer 4 months). We both wanted to spend so much time together here in the US, NOT ONLY TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER, ALSO I know what I get myself into (moving from my home country) and get used to everything besides my fiance, like our new house, area, peeps before I move to here perminantly.

A lot of couples have met only 1 time before filing K1. Yes, the chance is big(ger) that a relationship will be ruined after the foreigh spouse/fiance(e) set foot on US ground, than couples who met a lot of times before they filed for K1 or CR-1). This because you haven't been physically together for a long time, and you respond differently on certain situations/things then when you are chatting with each other. But a loooooot of couples who have met only once (money was tight, etc) are still happily married after POE and marriage.

My point is, is that it isn't only about how many times you've met. It's about the REAL love you feel for each other, and you both are sure you want to step into the marriage boat. I even considder peeps who are going thrue K1 just to get to know each other better during 90 days after POE is Visa Fraud!

And I totally agree that peeps should only file for K1 when they truly know they love each other, and not think like "oh, we have 90 days to get to know each other BETTER after POE", yadee yadee yadee. :pop: IT'S ALSO ABOUT GETTING TO KNOW THE COUNTRY, AREA, CULTURE, etc....

Btw, is not the K1 process that pushes couple to marry each other within "just" 90 days. K1 is for couples that already know they want to spend their life time together (L)

Edited by Channah&Aaron

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

That would only be good if the foreign partner WOULD return home, 98% would choose not to, so we the US would have a much bigger illegal immigration problem. So how would you propose to enforce the return used product back to their original home.

That IMO is one of the inherent problems/issues with the K-1. In reality, it allows an entrance to the US without any strings. Sure there is the requirement to get married within 90 days or self deport, but we have all seen the cases where once the immigrant arrives in the US they jump ship so to speak. The one time meeting and options for a co-sponsor make fraud even more of an issue. Granted with the CR-1, you still have those same issues, but there is at least a marriage involveved before the immigrant arrives in the US. But in that case, as we again have all seen, it isn't difficult for a scammer to "fake it" for a couple of years and then dump the person who brought them here. IMO the K-1 has more potential problems because even for the legitimate relationships, the immigrating person has a long period of being in limbo where they can't work or go to school (in many states) and instead of making social connections to help with the adjustment they are in a dead zone until the AOS.

Either way you go, the process is fraught with pitfalls and roadblocks.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.