Kevin91

Domestic Violence(Pending) issues with customs

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Posts violating the below quoted provisions of the TOS removed; Administrative Action taken against one poster for an egregious violation of those provisions.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Forums.
  • Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would think that they will assume that this altercation did take place and after the drinks settled and the mind cleared, you are trying to back peddle and now claim that nothing really happened. This could be a real problem down the road. 

You are the one who broke the law, filing a false police report.

I hope that you get help for your drinking problem.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: Timeline

Goingthrough already posted a lot of good info.

IF she travels CBP will see when they take her prints that she has a DV arrest pending but no conviction yet. She will go to secondary (so allow for a lot of time) where they will question her about this. She can be in secondary for hours. Its not a wonderful place to be. Depending on her answers, the Officers mood, and how lucky you are they can do several different things.

They can let her in.

They can deny her entry since its a deportable crime she is charged with,

They can admit her but send her to a detention center until her court date.

Having a second wedding celebration is great- but it will be overshadowed by her being detained or refused entry.  So any good memories of the trip will be long forgotten.

17 minutes ago, Damara said:

Goingthrough already posted a lot of good info.

IF she travels CBP will see when they take her prints that she has a DV arrest pending but no conviction yet. She will go to secondary (so allow for a lot of time) where they will question her about this. She can be in secondary for hours. Its not a wonderful place to be. Depending on her answers, the Officers mood, and how lucky you are they can do several different things.

They can let her in.

They can deny her entry since its a deportable crime she is charged with,

They can admit her but send her to a detention center until her court date.

Having a second wedding celebration is great- but it will be overshadowed by her being detained or refused entry.  So any good memories of the trip will be long forgotten.

Agree'd on that last bit.

Going and doing the wedding knowing that your wife could be denied entry or put in a detention center is basically just putting on a show knowing the house is going to burn down once it's done. It's not worth it at all.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

1 hour ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Your wife has had to pay for what happened, but you seemingly haven't.

^ This. *slow clap*

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/20/2018 at 9:51 AM, E & J 2018 said:

I would think that they will assume that this altercation did take place and after the drinks settled and the mind cleared, you are trying to back peddle and now claim that nothing really happened. This could be a real problem down the road. 

What I suspect happened is that his wife assaulted him on purpose, he reported her to the cops to try to teach her a lesson, and then after looking at the evidence, the cops insisted on pressing charges; and now he wants to drop the charges because he hadn't intended to give her a criminal record and jeopardize her immigration and their relationship. It sounds like he's decided to take all the blame in order to protect his wife and keep the family together.

He says, "my wife tripped over the baby stroller. When that was happening she tried to grab me and scratch me accidently from neck and face". That sounds a lot like how battered women will say, "Oh, I slipped and fell downstairs and bruised myself" when actually their husband beat them.

How often does a woman trip and fall and accidentally scratch someone? That hardly ever happens, but some women will claw at their husbands when they get angry. That kind of behavior is called Situational Couple Violence, and it's something a lot of women are prone to.

I can understand why a husband would want to call the cops and get documentation of his side of the story after an altercation; you never know what's going to happen later in a relationship, so sometimes you need to act defensively to make sure the other person's wrongful acts get written down, so that later they don't get to unilaterally establish a one-sided narrative.

I've been in this kind of situation before, where I got physically assaulted by an immigrant wife, and thought to myself, "I could report this, just to document that she's behaved violently in this relationship; but I'm just going to let it slide because I don't really feel all that threatened by her." Well, later she ended up accusing me of violence, and the cops ended up with a one-sided narrative because she made a report and I didn't. So that's why I say, the OP didn't really do anything wrong in trying to cover himself by making a report. He's just avoiding making the kind of mistake I made.

It's too bad that she might end up not being able to get back in the country if they go this wedding, but maybe she shouldn't have scratched him, especially when her immigration case was still pending. Oh well, it's too much to expect that kind of self-control when passions flare up, so hopefully immigration will take that into account and be understanding about it.

Edited by lysander

Timeline

I wonder if it helps at all to explain to immigration that domestic violence doesn't mean the same thing across all cultures. For example, I think a lot of times, when men get assaulted by their wives, they think, "Well, she's just being emotionally expressive. She's just trying to get her point across forcefully, and I shouldn't take it as anything more than that."

It's like how in Filipino culture, if your wife goes into a jealous rage, you don't take it as a sign that she's abusive; you take it as meaning she loves you, because if she didn't care about you, she wouldn't be so possessive and suspicious to the point of paranoia. It's the same way if your wife scratches the hell out of your face and neck; she wouldn't get angry enough to do that if she didn't have strong feelings toward you. So, at least you know she's not indifferent toward you; she's literally willing to fight for the relationship, even though American culture and law might say that's not the appropriate way.

But, because of the influence of the feminists, American immigration authorities will probably say, "This suggests there could be power and control issues" when really that's not necessarily what it's about. It sounds like just a lover's spat that led to reconciliation; but the authorities will say, "That's the cycle of abuse."

Edited by lysander

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What matters are the standards and definitions of domestic violence here, and not tolerating even one instance of it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

What matters are the standards and definitions of domestic violence here, and not tolerating even one instance of it.

But it sounds like in this instance the victim got punished for reporting domestic violence, because now he's either going to lose the money he put into the wedding, or potentially lose his wife when she can't get back into the country. If the relationship ends, he would also probably be the one paying for the divorce, and having to eat the loss of the money he put into the visa petitions, and the travel expenses from going to see her in the Dominican Republic, and everything else he invested in building the relationship. Plus, who knows if he'd be able to find a new woman to replace her whom he liked as much. So arguably, he would be the one getting the harsher punishment, even though he didn't do anything wrong.

This is why so many people decide to let instances of domestic violence slide -- they don't want to do anything to hurt the person they're trying to build a future with, because that would get in the way of their plans. It's the same reason why a lot of parents, if they catch their kid with pot, will throw it in the toilet rather than calling the cops to hand it over as evidence. They don't want to see their family member getting a criminal record. The parent who gets his kid arrested will be the one getting punished for it when he has to keep paying for their room and board for many years into their adulthood because they can't get a decent job due to a drug conviction.

These types of situations, where a family member is the offender, have no perfect solution, so it's just a question of what's going to be the lesser of possible evils.

Edited by lysander

Feminists have nothing to do with it. Violence is violence. The law is the law. The US criminal system follows US laws and procedures.

Either she did attack him and it will likely be a significant issue for immigration, or she didn't and he made a false police report. Nobody here can be certain of which one it is.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

18 hours ago, lysander said:

I wonder if it helps at all to explain to immigration that domestic violence doesn't mean the same thing across all cultures. For example, I think a lot of times, when men get assaulted by their wives, they think, "Well, she's just being emotionally expressive. She's just trying to get her point across forcefully, and I shouldn't take it as anything more than that."

It's like how in Filipino culture, if your wife goes into a jealous rage, you don't take it as a sign that she's abusive; you take it as meaning she loves you, because if she didn't care about you, she wouldn't be so possessive and suspicious to the point of paranoia. It's the same way if your wife scratches the hell out of your face and neck; she wouldn't get angry enough to do that if she didn't have strong feelings toward you. So, at least you know she's not indifferent toward you; she's literally willing to fight for the relationship, even though American culture and law might say that's not the appropriate way.

But, because of the influence of the feminists, American immigration authorities will probably say, "This suggests there could be power and control issues" when really that's not necessarily what it's about. It sounds like just a lover's spat that led to reconciliation; but the authorities will say, "That's the cycle of abuse."

12 hours ago, lysander said:

But it sounds like in this instance the victim got punished for reporting domestic violence, because now he's either going to lose the money he put into the wedding, or potentially lose his wife when she can't get back into the country. If the relationship ends, he would also probably be the one paying for the divorce, and having to eat the loss of the money he put into the visa petitions, and the travel expenses from going to see her in the Dominican Republic, and everything else he invested in building the relationship. Plus, who knows if he'd be able to find a new woman to replace her whom he liked as much. So arguably, he would be the one getting the harsher punishment, even though he didn't do anything wrong.

This is why so many people decide to let instances of domestic violence slide -- they don't want to do anything to hurt the person they're trying to build a future with, because that would get in the way of their plans. It's the same reason why a lot of parents, if they catch their kid with pot, will throw it in the toilet rather than calling the cops to hand it over as evidence. They don't want to see their family member getting a criminal record. The parent who gets his kid arrested will be the one getting punished for it when he has to keep paying for their room and board for many years into their adulthood because they can't get a decent job due to a drug conviction.

These types of situations, where a family member is the offender, have no perfect solution, so it's just a question of what's going to be the lesser of possible evils.

I understand what you are trying to say, the thing is people have free will and the ability to make judgement calls.  There is NO LAW in the US that says you must report every violation of law you see. (participating in the crime or planning it is another story). But if you see a robbery or observe an assault or child abuse- morally you should do the right thing but legally you have no requirement to tell the police. You see this a lot with 'potential' child abuse. Someone striking their kids in public or rough handling them and a storm of FB posts saying should I report this? Its a judgement call.

If you know your wife is 'expressive' like that and do not consider it abuse- continue living like that. I wish you two a long life of happiness together. :) 

But for whatever reason the OP decided to contact the police- so he either felt threatened or (as he alluded to) he was trying to use the police for some kind of personal gain. (he said it wasnt his intention to get her arrested he wanted a police report...a police report for what I dont know if they are a intensely loving couple and have no problems you dont collect police reports on each other, you gather them to protect yourself, for advantages in divorce/child custody/to exude power over the other person ie-I can get you sent to jail whenever I want. 

So I have no sympathy for the OP- he chose this. If it wasnt a valid DV incident he should not have reported it as such. Any consequences for making said report he deserves. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Damara said:

If you know your wife is 'expressive' like that and do not consider it abuse- continue living like that. I wish you two a long life of happiness together. :) 

A lot of men feel morally obligated to stay in a marriage and try to make it work, even if they're being mistreated, because they made a commitment. And a lot of them feel like they don't have other options either, unless they want to be alone. The mate market these days just isn't very favorable to the average man these days, because so many women are chasing after Chad.

The other thing is, there's a cultural presumption that women are not as responsible for their behavior as men are (which is why there are sayings like "it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind" even though men are expected to be resolute and decisive, and stand by their promises). Emotional outbursts, tantrums, etc. from women, even if they cross the line into physicality, are something men are used to looking at as normal female behavior, and maybe even cute because it's so juvenile. However, unlike a parent, a husband has limited options for trying to impose some discipline on a girl who's being childishly bad-tempered and disruptive; so that's where a problem arises.

5 hours ago, Damara said:

But for whatever reason the OP decided to contact the police- so he either felt threatened or (as he alluded to) he was trying to use the police for some kind of personal gain. (he said it wasnt his intention to get her arrested he wanted a police report...a police report for what I dont know if they are a intensely loving couple and have no problems you dont collect police reports on each other, you gather them to protect yourself, for advantages in divorce/child custody/to exude power over the other person ie-I can get you sent to jail whenever I want. 

So I have no sympathy for the OP- he chose this. If it wasnt a valid DV incident he should not have reported it as such. Any consequences for making said report he deserves. 

What else was he supposed to do? He's not allowed to hit her back, so how is he going to keep her behavior in check? He can dump her and try to find someone else, but given he had to look to another country for a bride, I'm presuming he didn't have a lot of good options of American women to be with, or he would've just chosen one of them, and avoided having to go through the visa process. She must have been special to him, to be worth dealing with that system.

But there's such a thing, even when you're dealing with those who have the potential to be good family members, of "keeping honest people honest". There needs to be discipline and order in the family, and clear lines of authority, and standards of what's acceptable and unacceptable, or it descends into chaos. It sounds like he was trying to get the situation under control by obtaining a police report he could hold over her head to deter future bad behavior (by establishing that there was a pattern of it), but then events took an unexpected turn when the cops insisted on pressing charges.

@lysander :wow: You have an incredibly twisted view of things. If you have health insurance then you are covered by it for a therapist. They can be really helpful if you are open to it. 

But Im not going to respond to you any further since I know you do this often - start posting off topic extreme POVs- in the main forums instead of CEHST and I really dont want to play this game. Best of luck to you. !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.