ClaireFrazer

Unaware of divorce and got approved of Conditional Residency

22 posts in this topic

Hello ,

On May 8, 2019, I entered the USA with my son on K1 and K2 visas, respectively. my Us Citizen husband and I were married on July 7, 2019, and we promptly submitted our Adjustment of Status application on July 23, I obtained my Advance Parole and Work Authorization Permit.

However, between April 2020 and June 2020, our marriage encountered difficulties, resulting in a temporary separation during which divorce papers were served to me at my workplace. I signed these papers.My husband then withdraw our -I-485 leading to the cancellation of our Adjustment of Status application and the revocation of my work permit.  We reconciled, and stayed married up to the present date .and the divorce was subsequently rescinded as what my husband had told me .

Nonetheless, the cancellation of my Adjustment of Status and work permit posed significant challenges.

With the COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions in place, returning to the my home country was not feasible.

Consequently, we filed a new Adjustment of Status application in September 2020, which was successful, and my work authorization was reinstated. Our marriage has continued, and we have ample evidences to substantiate its legitimacy.

Recently, however, my husband revealed that our divorce was finalized in November 2021, a fact of which I was unaware until now. This revelation has left me concerned about potential implications for my residency status, particularly as my conditional green card expires on June 24, 2024, along with my son's on June 28, 2024. Despite this challenge, I am preparing to submit all necessary documents for the I-751 Removal of Conditional Resident status.

I would like to seek for an advice I am worried that USCIS might revoke my residency since it will look like our I-485 was approved on the first place during our interview back in 2022 but then again we were already divorce in Nov of 2021 without our knowledge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If you're on good terms with hubby, time to sign I-407 and restart process. 

Your current GC is dead. It'll be caught. Better fix it right now. 

There was a poster here a while back who got ROC without interview, and during that time, she'd divorced (I think she was waiting to got to interview and present divorce papers but got approved without interview and just sat on the divorce papers). Anyway, she applied for N400, got caught and was thrown back to go fix her ROC.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You will need a lawyer, but how did you not know you were divorced?,  Didnt your husband have to go to court for the  approval of the divorce by the Judge & signing of final divorce decree?

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULE:  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     APPROVED

OATH CEREMONY SCHEDULED:  June 5th, 2024

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

K1 visa applicants can adjust status even if they divorce. Issue is… divorce was finalized in 2021 and you received the GC in 2022 and didn’t inform USCIS. I would consult with a lawyer. I would also look at your tax documentation- were you and your husband filing MFJ even when divorced or??? You might be able to figure things out but it sounds like filing for ROC is something you need to do alone because your ex husband sounds like he is playing with your status. 

I don’t understand how a person can be divorced by someone and not realize it.   There are signatures required, even for simple divorces.   And it wasn’t like it was a divorce done in absentia for someone who could not be located.

There must be more to this story.   One wonders about the future of a marriage where this has occurred.

And from an immigration perspective, OP you need a good immigration lawyer like yesterday.   This is well above free internet pay grade.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I don’t understand how a person can be divorced by someone and not realize it.   There are signatures required, even for simple divorces.   And it wasn’t like it was a divorce done in absentia for someone who could not be located.

There must be more to this story.   One wonders about the future of a marriage where this has occurred.

And from an immigration perspective, OP you need a good immigration lawyer like yesterday.   This is well above free internet pay grade.

She signed the forms but when they reconciled he told her he stopped or pulled the forms. She believed him, the divorce continued. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Redro said:

K1 visa applicants can adjust status even if they divorce. Issue is… divorce was finalized in 2021 and you received the GC in 2022 and didn’t inform USCIS. I would consult with a lawyer. I would also look at your tax documentation- were you and your husband filing MFJ even when divorced or??? You might be able to figure things out but it sounds like filing for ROC is something you need to do alone because your ex husband sounds like he is playing with your status. 

I forgot about this possibility. Since he did not pull the AOS, she was still able to adjust. I wonder what he said during the interview.  ROC is probably not impossible, but go get a few consultations to make sure what steps to take. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 minute ago, Ontarkie said:

She signed the forms but when they reconciled he told her he stopped or pulled the forms. She believed him, the divorce continued. 

I get that, but in every divorce I’ve ever heard of, both parties are notified of the final dissolution, and generally there are final signatures gathered, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I get that, but in every divorce I’ve ever heard of, both parties are notified of the final dissolution, and generally there are final signatures gathered, etc.

Not in all cases - maybe State dependent.

The original papers in my divorce were signed by both of us and then she departed the US for the UK. 4 months later, the court case was attended to by only myself and my lawyer - Judge noted that she wasn't there and proceeded to stamp the papers. I called her a few days later to let know that it was completed and sent her a copy of the final papers via FedEx

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

18 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Husband could have hid the mail. 
Husband could have requested she sign documentation and she did so without realizing what she was signing… (we all know couples where one person takes charge and the other trusts and follows). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.