Timona

Seems CBP is doing exit controls now?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Seems CBP has started doing exit controls. Right at the start of the jet bridge, and after passing boarding agents and are on the other side of the double doors, they take pictures.

Happened to me in Miami yesterday. I asked, was told "It's for immigration."

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They probably thought you are hot.

That is what I was thinking as well.  My wife recently flew through Miami to Dubai, and she never went through CBP outbound.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I’ve seen this on flights to Hong Kong.

Also seen at the land border in Nogales (just cars). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

did u use Global entry  and they were checking ID?

As CBP says

First, unlike entry, the ports were not designed to control the exit of individuals, nor does CBP (or the Federal government) own the airports. The nation’s airports are privately owned and were not designed or built to control exit. Accordingly, there are no Federal inspection areas through which travelers must depart from the United States and no “controlled” space from which travelers must depart or face re-inspection from a CBP officer

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2018-Jan/fieldops-entry-exit-fact-sheet-201404.pdf

8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

did u use Global entry  and they were checking ID?

As CBP says

First, unlike entry, the ports were not designed to control the exit of individuals, nor does CBP (or the Federal government) own the airports. The nation’s airports are privately owned and were not designed or built to control exit. Accordingly, there are no Federal inspection areas through which travelers must depart from the United States and no “controlled” space from which travelers must depart or face re-inspection from a CBP officer

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2018-Jan/fieldops-entry-exit-fact-sheet-201404.pdf

Seems like the factsheet is from 2014?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sounds like they have suspicions of money laudering or a heat sensor camera

or this with the new outbreak of covid and so many staff illneses ,  Gatwick international has limited its services to 800 flights in and out a day so the covid scare is on

Screened by staff as they board the plane, temperatures are quickly and accurately measured via handheld infrared thermometers or mounted infrared cameras. All airlines are different, but standard practice is that individuals registering a temperature higher than 100.4 would not be permitted to enter the plane.

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

I've seen some passengers being asked to show IDs or declare cash when travelling from US to Turkey. Not sure if this is similar to your experience @Timona?

No. They had iPhones. So no heat scanners. As soon as you enter the jet bridge, they were there. This was right after boarding agents had scanned our tickets. 

Anyway, I travel alot. They may as well have targeted me 😅

Yes I used GE and NO, they didn't ID. Just pictures. They did this to the flight that took off 2 hours ahead of me.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

sounds like they have suspicions of money laudering or a heat sensor camera

or this with the new outbreak of covid and so many staff illneses ,  Gatwick international has limited its services to 800 flights in and out a day so the covid scare is on

Screened by staff as they board the plane, temperatures are quickly and accurately measured via handheld infrared thermometers or mounted infrared cameras. All airlines are different, but standard practice is that individuals registering a temperature higher than 100.4 would not be permitted to enter the plane.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

Unless they were targeting someone. 

My last exit in June, I didn't get this treatment 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

According to this https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics CBP are now doing exit controls at 46 airports, the linked page shows which ones: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/airports

There's no need for ID, a picture is all that's needed to match your face to existing records such as USCIS biometrics or passport pictures. If you are a US citizen the pictures get discarded as soon as a match has been made, if not they get saved for up to 15 years.

I went through this photo check 4 weeks ago , leaving DFW for Aust. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, Timona said:

They may as well have targeted me

Negatory -- as stated, you're probably hot, dude.

8 hours ago, OldUser said:

passengers being asked to [...] declare cash

This happened to me once on the jetway to a flight to Ecu.  When I said, "One thousand, six hun...," the agent cut me off and waved me through.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Negatory -- as stated, you're probably hot, dude.

If I go through those controls and they don’t check me, I’ll be sure to raise some hell 😈😈

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.