Aussielad

Can a family court judge make a U.S. citizen pass on U.S. citizenship if the child is born in another country.

91 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Timona said:

Even if that was possible, how's she going to live there with her tourist visa? This lady is grasping on straws.

Knowing Colombianas, and if push comes to shove, I would DNA that kid.

And how is she going to afford US lawyers with Colombian pesos? Heck, even us in US can't afford them. 

He does not deny the paternity of the kid. However he asked her to come to the U.S. to get the paternity test done, she said she would do it only if he paid for her flight and hotel and any other miscellaneous expenses plus the DNA test.

I mentioned to my friend that even though she wants the DNA test done for her advantage, but it also looks like she wants a holiday out of this as well by trying to have you pay for everything.

Due to his job, it is hard for him to go to Colombia as he has a federal government job with an important agency.

I also agree with the U.S. Lawyers and Colombian pesos. but supposedly she has a cousin in Georgia who will let her stay with her, and that she will go to legal aid and try to get a free lawyer...........all this on a 6 month entry tourist visa???? (that's IF they give her that long)

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

There's no obligation for father to go through CRBA. It's a question of ethics whether he would want to do it or not. The USC friend needs to realize that by filing CRBA the mother gets avenue to come to the US once the child turns 21 and can sponsor her. Otherwise the mother can pound the sand.

Very useful information you provided. Much appreciated. I will pass this info onto him. This has helped a lot. 

Very good point too...21 and then she gets a free ride to the U.S. because unfortunately, the child suffers from severe down syndrome and by the looks of everything, will never be able to function independently. She would have to be his legal guardian for everything and sign everything even past 18 - 21 years old.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Gonna pretend to be in his shoes now

1st i would consult an attorney and heed his advise

2nd  I would call her bluff and say "Get a B1/B2 visa for the baby and bring him to US and I will contact family court to get this settled

Ask family court for a DNA on man and child

Kicker is:  if his name is not on the birth certificate OR  another man is on it OR it is altered in any way to have his name ,  no tourist visa would be issued to the child or without father's permission,  

If she tries to bring child with just her tourist visa ,  airport security will want to see child's birth certificate as shown on youtube,  permission of the other parent is needed  /many South American countries show airport security closely checking status of adult and child traveling alone

the above can be a stopper if he isn't the father and even if she doesn't list one

if she can come,  schedule family court appointment in the county and do the DNA 

a judge wants proof of income for both parties to  establish support 

and she needs to be prepared to show all monetary income and possibly medical expenses of the child

No way can she touch your personal property but if support is ordered  and not paid ,  then an attachment can be made of income /again ,  this would be another trip on her part to go to court and file a complaint for unpaid child support

$1000 to $2000 in South America??? way out of line 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Honestly?  He should apprise his supervisor of the situation, then tell the gold-digger to take a long walk off a short pier.  I would give her neither a red cent nor the time of day.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not see how a US Court would have jurisdiction 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Aussielad said:

Due to his federal government job, he is not allowed to just board a plane and go to a foreign country. 

So, how'd they meet and procreate? 

You didn't answer me, where does she stay in Colombia? City that is. I can tell you the living estimate $$.

I agree with @Boiler and

@Ontarkie

Additionally, IIRC, I was told Colombians get subsidized or in some cases like this child, free healthcare. I was told this last year. Don't hold me on this.

As we are all saying, let your pal not CRBA anything less it's DNA-ed. Trust me, I know a few things about Colombianas. Similar to my country too.

On the contrary, I don't think she wants to stay in US because she would be already overstaying since she has a B-2. Quality of life and affordable Healthcare is better outside US. She may be held back overstaying because (a) she knows it'll be expensive to pay the kids Healthcare in US or (b) she wants USD to live off rich in Colombia. I would too. Why would I work while I'm getting $2K to spend in Colombia amd not work? That's living rich!!.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He needs to change his telephone number and email address 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I believe the OP says the lady has a valid tourist visa. So I assume she was visiting the US.

That's a fast goal! 😉 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not  a fan of dead beat fathers (or mothers) 

but i would demand DNA 

and not pay her plane fare or motel room or let her stay with me

and only trust the US family court system to handle the issue 

worrying what might happen 20 years from now?

so, what if this child becomes   a USC and wants to petition for mom

he would need US residency and US income/ chances ?????

Certainly by then the man's obligations would be over 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.