Aussielad

Can a family court judge make a U.S. citizen pass on U.S. citizenship if the child is born in another country.

91 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, it has been a while since I have posted on here. I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an unfortunate situation. He is a United States Citizen, she is from Colombia. Their relationship did not prosper to marriage, however they had a kid together, she lives in Colombia. He lives in the U.S.

She is wanting $1,500 - $2,000 per month in child support plus U.S. citizenship to claim social security for the child as it was born with an incapacity. (which altogether would be $2,000-$3000 per month with child support and social security) They have not been able to come to an agreement due to what she is demanding.

My U.S. citizen friend believes she is taking advantage of the situation with a money grab using the child as she also receives benefits from Colombia. 

She has a current tourist visa and keeps threatening my friend she will come to the U.S., go to court, and ask for child support plus make the judge give the child U.S. citizenship. She also mentioned that she wants his house as well (they were never married).

In my honest opinion, I believe that since she is from Colombia, and the child is Colombian born, that this would be a situation for the courts of Colombia to resolve and not the U.S.

Can a U.S. family court judge make the father give U.S. citizenship to the child? Or his limitations are just child support according to child support tables based on his income.

Thank you

Edited by Aussielad

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

(Member since 2004 -- wow!)

Has your friend consulted lawyers?  What have they said?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

(Member since 2004 -- wow!)

Has your friend consulted lawyers?  What have they said?

He is attempting to get hold of a family lawyer in Colombia and will start with looking for one in the U.S.

After my own research, I learned that a CRBA (Consulate Report of Birth Abroad) is basically the only way that citizenship can be directly passed down and that my friend as the U.S. citizen is the only one that can initiate it, not her as it requires original documents and evidence of continuous residence in the U.S. plus his signatures and would have to appear before a consulate official.

My friend's concern is that she is wanting to get as much money from any benefit from any place using the child's mental incapacity as the reason. I told him not to let her get into his head and run him into a corner scared. 

July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
Oct 12 -Touched.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I agree. That amount she's quoting is king's life in Colombia where average rent is $150/ month. 

Which city does she live in Colombia? 

If I'm to believe what you say, he dodged a bullet with this one. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Many lawyers in the U.S. will give free 30-minute consultations.  Suggest that he talk to a couple of immigration attorneys (anywhere) and a couple of family attorneys (in his jurisdiction).

I never dealt with CRBA, but it makes sense that his papers and signatures would be needed.  The consulate might also ask for a DNA test, I'm guessing.

Tell your friend that talking with lawyers here will either relieve his concerns altogether or suggest definitive paths forward, so talking with some is a priority.  Colombia is irrelevant, I think.

Has he paid anything toward support of the mother or child already?  If not, he should not start.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Assuming the birth was given in Colombia, CRBA will need to be filed, correct. And US citizen needs to cooperate for this to happen. I doubt it's possible without active participation from your friend.

Does the birth certificate list the friend as a father?

She cannot just "take his house", since they were never married.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Even if that was possible, how's she going to live there with her tourist visa? This lady is grasping on straws.

Knowing Colombianas, and if push comes to shove, I would DNA that kid.

And how is she going to afford US lawyers with Colombian pesos? Heck, even us in US can't afford them. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

5 minutes ago, Timona said:

Even if that was possible, how's she going to live there with her tourist visa? This lady is grasping on straws.

Agreed with you, this seems like an act of desperation. She likely just wants to force OP's friend to sell the house and split the proceeds, but doesn't have any legal grounds for that.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Aussielad said:

make the judge give the child U.S. citizenship

The judge has no authorized to grant U.S citizenship. There are three legal ways to get U.S citizenship:

-Natural born.

-Born in a foreign countries with mother/father is a USC.

-Naturalization.

In this case, the father can get the CRBA for the child then bring the child to the USA for a better future. However, it will be an hassle since the mother is the legal custody of the child right now.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Many lawyers in the U.S. will give free 30-minute consultations.  Suggest that he talk to a couple of immigration attorneys (anywhere) and a couple of family attorneys (in his jurisdiction).

I never dealt with CRBA, but it makes sense that his papers and signatures would be needed.  The consulate might also ask for a DNA test, I'm guessing.

Tell your friend that talking with lawyers here will either relieve his concerns altogether or suggest definitive paths forward, so talking with some is a priority.  Colombia is irrelevant, I think.

Has he paid anything toward support of the mother or child already?  If not, he should not start.

No, he has not paid anything yet. He has not done so for 2 reasons.

- She is asking for A LOT 

- He has a federal government job and it could possibly create a situation for him when it comes time to renew his security clearance trying to justify the amounts that he sent to Colombia.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the mental health of my friend with this situation and what she is demanding is taking a toll on him. 

Oct 12 -Touched.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Assuming the birth was given in Colombia, CRBA will need to be filed, correct. And US citizen needs to cooperate for this to happen. I doubt it's possible without active participation from your friend.

Does the birth certificate list the friend as a father?

He never got to sign the birth certificate because he was in the U.S. at the time the child was born, so she put the child in her name. Due to his federal government job, he is not allowed to just board a plane and go to a foreign country. It is a process with forms he has to fill out.

Thank you for the CRBA information. He told he he is willing to give money (a fair amount) or U.S. citizenship for the child so she can make a claim for social security due to the childs unfortunate mental incapacity. He said he was not going to give both as he felt it is just a money grab on her part. (Which I agree).

Oct 12 -Touched.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Liam2021 said:

The judge has no authorized to grant U.S citizenship. There are three legal ways to get U.S citizenship:

-Natural born.

-Born in a foreign countries with mother/father is a USC.

-Naturalization.

In this case, the father can get the CRBA for the child then bring the child to the USA for a better future. However, it will be an hassle since the mother is the legal custody of the child right now.

Correct, and thank you for mentioning that. She said this morning that the father would not be allowed to see or interact with the kid.

Which is why my friend is now even less interested in filing for U.S. citizenship for the child. (Which I totally understand on his part).

Oct 12 -Touched.

1 minute ago, Aussielad said:

He never got to sign the birth certificate because he was in the U.S. at the time the child was born, so she put the child in her name.

Can you elaborate on this? Usually there's two parents on birth certificate in most countries. What did she list for "father" / "parent 2" or whatever it may have been called?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Agreed with you, this seems like an act of desperation. She likely just wants to force OP's friend to sell the house and split the proceeds, but doesn't have any legal grounds for that.

She could possibly overstay if she gets to that point of desperation. My friend is going to write to the U.S. consulate in Bogota and at least warn them of the possible situation that could happen on her part. 

Oct 12 -Touched.

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

Can you elaborate on this? Usually there's two parents on birth certificate in most countries. What did she list for "father" / "parent 2" or whatever it may have been called?

What happened was the child was born in Colombia, my friend was in the U.S.

The government of Colombia to my understanding gives you 1 week to register the kid. If the parent is not present, then the child goes under the mother's name.  The father is not listed.

She asked my friend to put his name on the birth certificate through a virtual court appearance in Colombia, however she also started to ask for large amounts of money which is where the situation went south. 

Oct 12 -Touched.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.