Tomell

Public Charge Thanks To Hubby / Good "Piecemeal" Lawyer? [merged threads]

38 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Tomell said:

I want to do the I-130 application ASAP and am wondering, if I do the initial application and happen to pass right after, what comes of my wifes chances to stay?

The I-130 petition, even if approved, will not grant your wife authorization to stay in the US beyond the duration of her I-94.  To be able to legally reside in the US, she would need to file I-485 (along with your I-130) to adjust status while in the US, or return to the Philippines and apply for a spouse visa at the US embassy after your I-130 is approved.

• Ontarkie changed the title to ife is here in US on a tourist visa, How long would it take to get a spousal visa with her inside the US? (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged and Moved to AOS from Work, Student and Tourist Visas, from the PI forum - as the OP's wife is in the US.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 3/11/2023 at 2:40 PM, Tomell said:

My wife is here on a B-2 tourist visa, if we were to apply for a spousal visa, Is there any shot that it could be completed before her September return date?

I have a friend in Phoenix that went this route.  Arrived in January 2021 pregnant on the border crossing card with a permission to travel outside the 100 mile zone.  They were married in February 2021 and applied for the spousal visa (adjustment of status) September 2022.  They are still currently waiting for an approval/denial/RFE.  His wife stayed here because of the baby and now they are having another one this year.  This should give you an idea on how long Adjustment of status inside the states is currently taking. 

• 3 months later...

I am an American here in Indiana US and my lovely Filipina wife is here with me on a 6 month tourist visa (It was granted so she could be my caretaker after a super grueling heart operation which I am recovering from now) The officials from the get-go were told that we would be filing an I-130 at some point, so no big fears of her being called a "tourist visa fibber", just fyi...

My question (s) are:

These health challenges are quite bad, and have taken my income down to around 20K per year, I am on Medicaid and other public assistance programs (I do have a friend worth about 400K USD who will "co sponsor" though. My wife is not and has not collected any US benefits of any Kind, so my first question is, Is ME being  a public charge a problem?

Second question: My wife has a HS diploma, and decent minimum wage work experience in the Philippines, but no savings, she can likely get a $15 per hour or so job offer for once her change of status takes effect from the hospital we go to though. How worried of public charge does she need to be personally?

Third question: We are scraping together the $1600+ for the I-130 and I-485 petition , but don't have it yet, I read somewhere that if I go apply in person, there might be a "fee waiver" program A: Is there? and B, would THAT complicate the Public Charge rulings?

Last question (and THANKS for reading this far) Any recommendations on a good lawyer versed in these topics who is willing to work one hour at a time?

Thanks Much everyone.

Tom

P.S. One more question, sorry about that. Shes 4 months in on her 6 month visa, when is the :latest" we should do the I-130 / I-485 thing to avoid risk of her having to leave (With my heart operation recovery, this would be a VERY bad thing)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I suppose your public benefits could affect her application if USCIS knew it.  USCIS looks at the totality of every case. Did she specifically tell CBPO that she would be returning to PI after the visit?  I know that you said she would definitively be returning in a previous post. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I suppose your public benefits could affect her application if USCIS knew it.  USCIS looks at the totality of every case. Did she specifically tell CBPO that she would be returning to PI after the visit?  I know that you said she would definitively be returning in a previous post. 

By the time she did her interview, we had the doctors and the State department saying to let them know she would be applying for I-130

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Tomell said:

I just went back and read this, for some reason I had it in my head that we needed to do an I-130 AND AOS, so simply AOS and shes good to go?

If you have filed an I 130 you do not need a second one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Tomell said:

By the time she did her interview, we had the doctors and the State department saying to let them know she would be applying for I-130

Applying for the I-130 means petitioning her for a spouse visa, which would mean consular visa processing in your case, as you described previously.

I-485 is for adjusting status.  Did the State department tell you to tell CBP that she will attempt to adjust status?

Timeline

There is a whole package if you intend to adjust.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Applying for the I-130 means petitioning her for a spouse visa, which would mean consular visa processing in your case, as you described previously.

I-485 is for adjusting status.  Did the State department tell you to tell CBP that she will attempt to adjust status?

To be precise, the I-130 is not a petition for a spouse visa.  It is petitioning for approval to bring a spouse (or other qualifying family member) into the US to live once the proper process is completed.   Once the I-130 is approved, it allows the beneficiary of the approved petition to apply for either an immigrant visa or adjustment of status. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm glad she was honest at the point of entry that she was acting as a caregiver.  That, at least, won't come back to bite her.  They record everything, so she is covered, from what you've said.

Get that co-sponsor in place, and adjust status.  As for fee waivers, not sure how that works, but - either way - both you and her are in for a wait when it comes to processing and her getting approved to work in the US.

You'll have plenty of time to save up.

Edited by EmilyW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.