NoMansLand2020

Step child adoption

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Who has successfully adopted their Filipino step children? What was the process that you followed and how complicated was it? 

My spouse has two children whom she had with an ex boyfriend in the Philippines. They were never married. The biological father has not been in the picture for 4+ years. He pretty much abandoned the kids. 

One child's birth certificate lists him as the father. My spouse has no idea where he would be nor how to contact him. 

I spoke to an attorney today and he said the father would have to give up his rights and that we would most likely have to go to the Philippines to serve him. But since he is not familiar with the laws of the Philippines he cannot offer much help. He further said it would be an international adoption and that I am  looking at upwards of 25k to adopt each one. 

None of this makes sense to me. Why would my step children who have lived in the US with me and their mother for over a year be considered as an international adoption?  I further thought that single Filipino mothers have sole custody of their illegitimate children. And furthermore understood that parents who have abandoned their children have relinquished their parental rights. 

Edited by NoMansLand2020

I did it but not quite the same situation as though wife never married but he was on the BC, however he passed away and we managed to get the death certificate. Overall not too bad, just under 6 months while COVID was going on, and employer covered all fees. 

2 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Who has successfully adopted their Filipino step children? What was the process that you followed and how complicated was it? 

My spouse has two children whom she had with an ex boyfriend in the Philippines. They were never married. The biological father has not been in the picture for 4+ years. He pretty much abandoned the kids. 

One child's birth certificate lists him as the father. My spouse has no idea where he would be nor how to contact him. 

I spoke to an attorney today and he said the father would have to give up his rights and that we would most likely have to go to the Philippines to serve him. But since he is not familiar with the laws of the Philippines he cannot offer much help. He further said it would be an international adoption and that I am  looking at upwards of 25k to adopt each one. 

None of this makes sense to me. Why would my step children who have lived in the US with me and their mother for over a year be considered as an international adoption?  I further thought that single Filipino mothers have sole custody of their illegitimate children. And furthermore understood that parents who have abandoned their children have relinquished their parental rights. 

Philippine laws are irrelevant in the US. Any adoption approved by the court where you live will be based on state laws.

23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I am sure it was mentioned that he does not currently have a financial responsibility for his wife's 2 children, adopting them will see him properly hosed.

He has financial responsibility in that he sponsored them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He may under the I 864 but they have not got that far yet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A noncontributory post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
42 minutes ago, IWander said:

When was the last time an I864 was actually enforced?

I found one Law Practice and this is all they do, so recently.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, IWander said:

When was the last time an I864 was actually enforced?

https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/files/201914668.pdf

After Belevich immigrated from Russia, the sponsors cut off all financial support and accused him of sexually abusing Thomas’s six-year-old daughter. Belevich sued to enforce their obligations, and the sponsors raised the affirmative defenses of unclean hands, anticipatory breach, and equitable estoppel. The district court re- jected those defenses as a matter of law and awarded damages to Belevich.

[…]

We recognize that our decision may impose a heavy burden on the sponsors, especially considering the crimes that Belevich al- legedly committed against them. Nonetheless, the law compels this result. The sponsors’ obligations will terminate if Belevich’s prosecution results in a conviction and he is removed from the United States. See, e.g., 8 U.S.C. § 1227(a)(2)(E) (domestic violence is a deportable offense). In the meantime, we may not create de- fenses that the statute, regulation, and affidavit foreclose.

13 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Is your wife on board with the adoption? 
I’m fairly sure your also require HER consent. 
And if you’re threatening to pull the i864 and divorce her I don’t know how you’ll manage to sort it all out. 

https://selfhelp.courts.ca.gov/stepparent-adoption

If you can show you don’t know where the father is, you might be able to complete the adoption. 

The timeline for a stepparent adoption is about 6 months to a year…

https://www.adoptionlawgroup.com/stepparent-adoption/how-to-adopt-my-stepchild-in-california

according to this website. So, I’m assuming you’re planning on staying with your wife and not pulling your i864? 

The timeline might be more complicated if you’re planning on adopting them before they receive their green cards. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.