Stein

Why wouldn't you file for citizenship?

73 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Thanks for the info. You can compare here.

Compare Passports Power | Passport Index 2023

exactly why.... https://www.passportindex.org/comparebyPassport.php?p1=id&p2=us

i remembered 23 years ago my visa application is the only one who got rejected when the whole family went to australia for vacation. made me super pissed.

Edited by Misscloud

1 hour ago, African Zealot said:

I totally respect your opinion and position, however does this mean you’re basically just enduring living here for the past x years?

That is pretty much the truth!

The only reason I live here is because my husband is very conditioned to living in the US. He is used to all the space around him (we live in Northern Minnesota) and the "hunting and fishing" lifestyle. Not a lot of hunting and fishing happening in the NL. He has visited a few times and just can't get over the fact that my neighbors from across the alley can look into my backyard if they are on the 2nd floor for example :) Something that is completely normal for me! Also, he would have the language barrier, and I don't, so it only made sense to have me move to the US. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

But to add to this  "i have thought to get citizenship in Morocco as Adil's wife so i could own a summer home"  anyone going this way too?

My wife is thinking about this on and off for Switzerland once eligible later this year.

Unlike many other countries, Switzerland allows naturalization for spouses after six years of marriage along with a few requirements, even without ever having resided there (I personally think that’s misguided, but I don’t make the laws there). Come June, my wife will fulfill all requirements necessary (except the language requirement is a little weak, but we’re working on French and a little German now). While citizenship wouldn’t confer any more property owning rights as a non-resident, she would still find it a cool thing to have. 

And completely off topic: @JeanneAdil, I hope I can visit Morocco sometime this year! 

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 minutes ago, CMJuilland said:

My wife is thinking about this on and off for Switzerland once eligible later this year.

Unlike many other countries, Switzerland allows naturalization for spouses after six years of marriage along with a few requirements, even without ever having resided there (I personally think that’s misguided, but I don’t make the laws there). Come June, my wife will fulfill all requirements necessary (except the language requirement is a little weak, but we’re working on French and a little German now). While citizenship wouldn’t confer any more property owning rights as a non-resident, she would still find it a cool thing to have. 

And completely off topic: @JeanneAdil, I hope I can visit Morocco sometime this year! 

WOW we flew into Zurick in 2020 4 days and i loved it 

If u can ,  take a car and drive down the coastline (say from Casa to elsouria) atlas mts on one side and Mediterrian changing to Atlantic on the other

Old world city and that or Fes with their beautiful silver and old market place is well worth the trip.

i would go and live there to establish residency 

22 hours ago, Stein said:

I didn't want to call out anyone specifically but a couple of responses said they didn't want to, not that they couldn't.  That is what made me think about it.

I never claimed my wife's ambivalence was rational 😉

21 hours ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I plan on becoming a USC only because I don't want any miniscule threat of being taken away from my husband--that's all.

If it's not for that, I don't think I'll want to be a citizen out of patriotism. The U.S. is great and all, and the Philippines has issues, but it will always be home. Prior to actually applying for naturalization, the idea of renouncing my Filipino citizenship does hurt.

I honestly do not mind the paperwork anymore. I'm not concerned about having a "weak passport," because I've traveled extensively and am satisfied. I'm not entirely sold on SSS benefits because I can earn and save money on my own. My point is that all the advantages that you mention are not really much of a big deal because, as an immigrant, I am surrounded by people that look and sound nothing like me.

The emotional toll of constantly missing my family and homeland cannot be compensated for by the convenience of dual citizenship, but it's a choice I made because cupid got me good. Lol.

And I know I am lucky to have the option of dual citizenship, but it's not quite the same, to be honest. I will always have that American last name, and when I am in the Philippines, they look at me funny for having an American name (I experienced this last year when I traveled home). Then I have to explain why, and I know that I am judged just based on that small backstory.

My wife feels the same. The only reason she would get citizenship is so she could travel freely back and forth with me and not keep track of days out of country. She came here to be with me and not to get citizenship. Sometimes it is easy to minimize what our loved ones sacrificed to be with us. Especially someone with a strong cultural connection with their country. The good thing is that there see to be Filipinos everywhere and they attract each other like magnets...

Edited by Carpe Vinum

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

I plan on becoming a USC only because I don't want any miniscule threat of being taken away from my husband--that's all.

If it's not for that, I don't think I'll want to be a citizen out of patriotism. The U.S. is great and all, and the Philippines has issues, but it will always be home. Prior to actually applying for naturalization, the idea of renouncing my Filipino citizenship does hurt.

I honestly do not mind the paperwork anymore. I'm not concerned about having a "weak passport," because I've traveled extensively and am satisfied. I'm not entirely sold on SSS benefits because I can earn and save money on my own. My point is that all the advantages that you mention are not really much of a big deal because, as an immigrant, I am surrounded by people that look and sound nothing like me.

The emotional toll of constantly missing my family and homeland cannot be compensated for by the convenience of dual citizenship, but it's a choice I made because cupid got me good. Lol.

And I know I am lucky to have the option of dual citizenship, but it's not quite the same, to be honest. I will always have that American last name, and when I am in the Philippines, they look at me funny for having an American name (I experienced this last year when I traveled home). Then I have to explain why, and I know that I am judged just based on that small backstory.

You didn’t have to change your last name. It’s not required in either the US or the Philippines. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Armenia said:

You didn’t have to change your last name. It’s not required in either the US or the Philippines. 

True, but too late a comment to contribute helpfully to the OP's situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

10 hours ago, Armenia said:

I know. It's a personal choice. I like what it means and how it feels to have my husband's last name :)

Edited by MarryMe987654

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

On 1/24/2023 at 3:20 PM, Carpe Vinum said:

My wife feels the same. The only reason she would get citizenship is so she could travel freely back and forth with me and not keep track of days out of country. She came here to be with me and not to get citizenship. Sometimes it is easy to minimize what our loved ones sacrificed to be with us. Especially someone with a strong cultural connection with their country. The good thing is that there see to be Filipinos everywhere and they attract each other like magnets...

It's true. I don't think much about "the sacrifice" that I made to be with my husband because he always felt guilty about that part and I told him not to because it was a choice that I made and my family respects that choice. I like how my husband loves my family and how he's very understanding about our ways.

Four years in the U.S. and I still don't have Filipino friends... I seem to be getting more American friends because of school and work. I miss my old Filipino friends back home :(

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I seem to be getting more American friends because of school and work.

Super! :) 

1 hour ago, MarryMe987654 said:

I miss my old Filipino friends back home

Get back in contact! :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 1/24/2023 at 12:43 PM, African Zealot said:

I totally respect your opinion and position, however does this mean you’re basically just enduring living here for the past x years?

Yep, that's how my husband is. He just "deals with" living here.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:20 PM, Carpe Vinum said:

YEP!! We feel the same. My husband has made massive sacrifices to come live with me in the US. I often feel guilty about it, but he always tells me it was his choice to come be with me in the US so I shouldn't feel guilty. And like you, the only reason he would consider citizenship is to be able to travel outside of the US more freely. He did not move to the US for any other reason than to be with me and I know if something ever happened with our marriage, he would leave the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.