Gabriela Gaghana

If I got K1 VISA, can I marry US Citizen in my country first?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello everyone hope you are doing really well so far. 

I would like to ask, if I already got K1 visa, can I marry with US citizen in my country first (marry at church without any judges) before I go to the US? Or I still need to marry with him in the USA? 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon! 

Best,

Gabby

3 minutes ago, Gabriela Gaghana said:

Hello everyone hope you are doing really well so far. 

I would like to ask, if I already got K1 visa, can I marry with US citizen in my country first (marry at church without any judges) before I go to the US? Or I still need to marry with him in the USA? 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon! 

Best,

Gabby

No.  You must enter as a fiance.  You can only get married AFTER entry in the USA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes you can have a wedding ceremony in your country as long as it is not a civil marriage in any way. Later you can enter with your K1 visa and then you must have a civil marriage within the 90 days. Religious or ceremonial marriages are not legally biding in the US.

There are some exceptions depending on the country of course. Some countries consider religious marriage legally biding. So it is a good idea to verify first to make sure.

https://www.sl-immigration.com/fiance-visas-religious-ceremony-abroad/

Edited by biscoito1r
link

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, biscoito1r said:

Yes you can have a wedding ceremony in your country as long as it is not a civil marriage in any way.

Legally you cannot have a wedding ceremony before entering the USA on a K-1. That ceremony can nullify the K-1. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

legally you cannot have a wedding ceremony before entering the USA on a K-1. That ceremony can nullify the K-1. 

Just look at it this way, If you have just a non legally biding ceremony, it won't qualify you for a CR-1 visa. The same way that if you have such a ceremony, it won't disqualify you for a K1. However as noted on the link that I provided, it is best to have the ceremony after having the K1 visa in hand because the consul will have to  investigate if this ceremony was legally biding which would cause a delay on the whole process.

Edited by biscoito1r

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

1. It is essentially advising people to commit visa fraud

No it isn't, as wedding ceremonies aren't legally biding.

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

2. Nothing prevents CBP from denying entry at the port of entry if it determines there was a wedding ceremony outside the USA

True and irrelevant as they don't actually need a reason to deny entry to anyone.

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

3. Nothing prevents the consulate from canceling the visa if it finds out there was a wedding ceremony 

Except for the fact that it wasn't a legally biding ceremony. One could simply acquire a certificate of single in a country that provides it. Think of it also this one. Right after such a ceremony they can still go to city hall or whatever and get legally married to someone else.

Our discussion has became redundant at this point as I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this time. Therefore, would you be able to provide any evidence that a non legally biding ceremony would disqualify someone from a K1 visa ? If you do I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Nikobe said:

I would put it this way:

It is not clever to have an unofficial wedding ceremony in whatever fashion before actually getting married in line with the K1 requirements. Whether or not this will have implications on your K1 process is at the discretion of the USCIS/CBP/NVC/Embassy officer. So: Just don't do it.

Ok. Your response makes sense as you want to be on the side of caution

Here an attorney explains what I just said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1ElDvyeWw

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, biscoito1r said:

Except for the fact that it wasn't a legally biding ceremony. One could simply acquire a certificate of single in a country that provides it. Think of it also this one. Right after such a ceremony they can still go to city hall or whatever and get legally married to someone else.

CBP needs only suspicion that a marriage took place.  A "single status" is useless. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, biscoito1r said:

.Our discussion has became redundant at this point as I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this time.

I agree that we are repeating  ourselves 

Therefore, would you be able to provide any evidence that a non legally biding ceremony would disqualify someone from a K1 visa

I provided an example. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
34 minutes ago, biscoito1r said:

One could simply acquire a certificate of single in a country that provides it.

Can you please point me to a country that would issue a "federal" certificate?.

Some town halls would provide a certificate saying that the person is not married IN THAT JURISDICTION. Doesn't mean that the person is not married anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, biscoito1r said:

So it is a good idea to verify first to make sure.

Yes, verify... With an official source

The same way that if you have such a ceremony, it won't disqualify you for a K1

CBP has total discretion to disqualify applicants that have had a ceremony prior to getting married in the US

If you have just a non legally biding ceremony, it won't qualify you for a CR-1 visa.

True, but we are not talking about K1s. Comparing two different types of immigrant visas is a waste of time, and confusing.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I see I see, but my question is if I got the K1 visa on my hand, can I held a religious wedding in my country then after that I can visit to USA and married legally?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.