Eva H

Getting a US drivers licence

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

My husband arrived in USA with a K1 Fiance Visa on the 05/02/2022.

Married in USA one month after his arrival.

He is currently in adjustment status and waiting for his green card.

His most recent I-94 form shows an "Admit Until date" of 05/05/2022.

He needs to get an American driver license but DMV refused my registration on the grounds that the "Admit Until Date" on my !-94 form has passed.

Can any help solving this problem ? Thanks in Advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Eva H said:

He needs to get an American driver license but DMV refused my registration on the grounds that the "Admit Until Date" on my !-94 form has passed.

Many states have this requirement and he must wait until he has his EAD card in hand 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some States have licenses for illegals and he should be able to get one of those 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Geogia department of Motor vehichles

https://dds.georgia.gov/information-non-us-citizens

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days. A non-US citizen would be considered a resident of Georgia if he or she meets any of the following criteria:

• If a person accepts employment or engages in trade in Georgia, and enrolls his or her children in a private or public school within ten days after the commencement of employment; or
  • If a person has been present in the state for 30 or more days

Take his passport with entry stamp /  he will be applying first  for the learner's permit by taking the written test and then the driving test for the licence

Edited by JeanneAdil

22 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days. A non-US citizen would be considered a resident of Georgia if he or she meets any of the following criteria:

• If a person accepts employment or engages in trade in Georgia, and enrolls his or her children in a private or public school within ten days after the commencement of employment; or
  • If a person has been present in the state for 30 or more days

Take his passport with entry stamp /  he will be applying first  for the learner's permit by taking the written test and then the driving test for the licence

30 days is just the first step in requirements. He has to fulfill the rest which is, if you scroll down the same page:

• The driver must be a United States citizen or have lawful status in the United States. Georgia law does not allow non-US citizens, non-resident drivers to operate a motor vehicle if he or she does not have lawful status in the United States.
  • Non-US citizens are required to present valid immigration documents in person at a Customer Service Center to prove their identity and lawful status in the United States. Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time a service is requested pertaining to a driver’s license or identification card. Visit Real ID Requirements for more information.

When you click on Real ID requirements for proof of status, the list of documents is there, none of which in my view are applicable to OP which means they have to wait to receive EAD Or GC.

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Eva H said:

There is no American driver's license.  Each state dictates its own license laws.  Sounds like he will have to wait until he receives his EAD.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
51 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days. 

This statement is for those who have DLs from other state and drive in GA.
Nobody is required to obtain a first license in within a given time period of residing in any State.

As said for OP, wait for wither GC or EAD or move to NY where you don't need any immigration papers for standard DL.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

7 hours ago, Boiler said:

Some States have licenses for illegals and he should be able to get one of those 

My state, Washington issues DLs without regard to immigration status.  However, applicants have to show evidence of residence in the state of Washington, so it wouldn't work that way for someone from another state.

1. We are in the same boat, I took Elvia to the DMV here in SC back in January, we are waiting on the EAD to get her license. SC and Georgia have very similar laws but the best advice is take what advice the DMV gave you and live with it. Now an option you do have is check with your insurance company. My wife has a Bolivian drivers license and she can drive here on my insurance for up to 1 year (USAA) with her Bolivian drivers license. So check with Georgia, and your insurance company he may be ok to drive. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
56 minutes ago, ToddnElvia said:
  1. We are in the same boat, I took Elvia to the DMV here in SC back in January, we are waiting on the EAD to get her license. SC and Georgia have very similar laws but the best advice is take what advice the DMV gave you and live with it. Now an option you do have is check with your insurance company. My wife has a Bolivian drivers license and she can drive here on my insurance for up to 1 year (USAA) with her Bolivian drivers license. So check with Georgia, and your insurance company he may be ok to drive. 

I think you are confusing visitors , one year, with residents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 6/13/2022 at 4:03 PM, Eva H said:

He should go to the DMV again and bring his I-797A NOA (+ passport etc.)  The I-797A is his proof of lawful status.  Be aware that he also needs a SSN or an official denial from the SSA.  Might have to try more than one DMV office(r) and/or ask for a supervisor. 

https://dds.georgia.gov/real-id-documents-list

Filed: Other Timeline

On 6/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, Crazy Cat said:

There is no American driver's license.  Each state dictates its own license laws.  Sounds like he will have to wait until he receives his EAD.

What if the EAD card is only valid for 2 months? Can the drivers license be changed to new last name and address and extend expiration date with marriage certificate? Current temp license expires in July. OPT starts July-September

Edited by David Swift

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, David Swift said:

What if the EAD card is only valid for 2 months? Can the drivers license be changed to new last name and address and extend expiration date with marriage certificate?

I don't know any state where a marriage certificate would help you getting a drivers license.  In CA you have the option to get a drivers license for people lacking the usual documents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.