Rocio0010

Why is Montreal such a tough consulate?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi everyone! I have a question that’s been bugging me for a while now. If Canada is not a high fraud country, why is Montreal a tough consulate? 

Mind you, I am not from Canada, and I have never done consular processing. But in all my years in VJ, I have been reading about tough consulates, such as Lagos, Mumbai, Islamabad… those I can understand. But why Montreal?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal is not a high fraud consulate. 

Montreal is extremely strict regarding the domicile requirement of the USC. 

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
8 minutes ago, canadian_wife said:

That answers my question. Thanks!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, canadian_wife said:

That just raises the next  question: why is it strict on domicile? 

I speculate it is because of the relative ease US citizens and LPRs have traveling between the two countries. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Canada is not a high fraud in terms the process, documentation, the system, etc when it comes to obtaining legal entry into the US.

However, not related to immigrant visas but in general and in terms of number, Canadians are usually in top category of people who enter the US legally but overstay beyond their allowed stay. Basically, end up being illegally in the US. So in terms of people coming to the US in the non-immigrant category and choosing to stay Canada is no different than those from India or Nigeria or the others. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

However, not related to immigrant visas but in general and in terms of number, Canadians are usually in top category of people who enter the US legally but overstay beyond their allowed stay

This is so unexpected!! Thank you for sharing. 

I guess in my (ignorant) mind I was thinking of tough consulate= high fraud country. Your explanation makes total sense.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Mike E said:

That just raises the next  question: why is it strict on domicile? 

I speculate it is because of the relative ease US citizens and LPRs have traveling between the two countries. 

Exactly my opinion, too......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

As for Domicile we have seen more then a few cases where they get the visa and then  the couple doesn't bother to move for one reason or another, some will even live in both countries under the radar so to speak. The consulate is aware of these situations and wants to make sure they are serious and since it's so easy to make belief they are set up in the US, but truly still living in Canada. . 

This is so very true.  The majority of the Canadian population lives within 150mi of the US border.  There are also circumstances where Canadians work in the US but live in Canada and commute back and forth daily (and vice versa - Americans working in Canada, live in the US and commute).  There were some covid exceptions for these people when the borders were closed. 

Around 93,000 Canadians enter legally but overstay.  It's like 1% of US overstays or less, but it is a wishy washy kind of circumstance and honestly, if you go through the entire PR process, just make the decision and commit.  Otherwise, you've wasted everyone else's time who are ready to commit.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I never thought of Montreal as being a tough consulate. People applying for immigrant visas there don’t have high rejection rates (yet to hear of one actually) or difficult interviews. We don’t need to even bring relationship proof to the interview. I do, however, have the impression of it being one of the more inefficient consulates in the world.

1. The backlog has been atrocious at least all through 2020 and 2021. It remains that way for EB category even today, but yeah it has improved a LOT for IR categories.

2. If for whatever reason you have a document (eg: medicals) missing at the interview, it often leads to delays in the order of several months… even if it is sent to the consulate only a few hours after the interview.

3. MTL is super strict in approving expedite requests, rejecting reasons which are normally accepted by other consulates; probably because of their backlog.

4. We have seen MTL applicants being skipped and not necessarily interviewed in proper sequence of DQs, sometimes over multiple rounds of interviews (not sure if this is an NVC or MTL problem).

A more recent issue with MTL candidates, is that the consulate has been issuing more DS-5535s compared to other non-MENA. No one knows the reason for this, and there is a lot of speculation about why this is happening. Personally, I am guessing US has some intelligence information of a national security threat originating from Canada and being extra vigilant with candidates from Canada.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

57 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I never thought of Montreal as being a tough consulate. People applying for immigrant visas there don’t have high rejection rates (yet to hear of one actually) or difficult interviews. We don’t need to even bring relationship proof to the interview. I do, however, have the impression of it being one of the more inefficient consulates in the world.

1. The backlog has been atrocious at least all through 2020 and 2021. It remains that way for EB category even today, but yeah it has improved a LOT for IR categories.

2. If for whatever reason you have a document (eg: medicals) missing at the interview, it often leads to delays in the order of several months… even if it is sent to the consulate only a few hours after the interview.

3. MTL is super strict in approving expedite requests, rejecting reasons which are normally accepted by other consulates; probably because of their backlog.

4. We have seen MTL applicants being skipped and not necessarily interviewed in proper sequence of DQs, sometimes over multiple rounds of interviews (not sure if this is an NVC or MTL problem).

A more recent issue with MTL candidates, is that the consulate has been issuing more DS-5535s compared to other non-MENA. No one knows the reason for this, and there is a lot of speculation about why this is happening. Personally, I am guessing US has some intelligence information of a national security threat originating from Canada and being extra vigilant with candidates from Canada.

Funny, I suggested this months ago on the Montreal DS-5535 thread, and that idea was swiftly shot down.  As was my suggestion (also mentioned by others in this thread), that the abuse of visas with overstays by citizens of certain countries make it harder for others from same countries to get visas.....

21 hours ago, carmel34 said:

A few thoughts about this question.  As a dual US/Canadian citizen (from birth), I have lived in both countries, back and forth for many years, always doing things the strict legal way for US immigration for my immediate family members, which takes time, especially these days.  Given the long history of bilateral cooperation, economically and socially, many Canadians (and Americans too by the way) don't really consider crossing back and forth from one country to the other as a big deal.  They do it all the time for tourism, to visit family, conduct business, etc., pre-pandemic.  Many retired Canadians live in the US (Arizona, Florida, etc.) in the winter for five months (snowbirds).  Many own property, vacation homes, and so forth in the other country, shop on weekends, or even work across the border.  This is a deeply-ingrained cultural thing, since both countries are so similar and a large number of families are "cross-border."  Visas and such are not required for most of these trips, so when it comes to immigrating from Canada to the US, it is seen as an unnecessary hassle.  There are so many people going back and forth, that quite a few abuse these privileges and even lie when they cross the border.  Domicile has become a big deal for immigrant visa interviews at the Montreal Consulate because of this ease of travel between the two countries.  Spousal visas are abused all the time because it is easier to get away with it.  I have seen multiple examples of this in my extended family where the rules are not followed.  In my opinion, Montreal became more strict with domicile because of this.

I'm thinking this is why the Canadian woman (who posted on VJ and called into Hacking) was denied entry when she tried to activate her IV... she was stamped in as a tourist... 

Everyone thought it was really strange and unfair at the time. But, it made sense to me. 

They had no home in the USA. They were renting in Canada and I believe they hadn't moved anything from Canada to the US because the sons were going to live in the renta. 

AND the Canadian had not quit her job yet... even though her visa was set to expire in a month. 

With more questions it seemed they applied for the immigrant visa just in case they wanted to move to the US on a whim. 

When entry was refused... the OP and his wife basically said it was NBD. 

Anyone have the link? 

Edited by ROK2USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.