Kanny Dale

Can we use an online marriage when filing for a fiance visa? Because the marriage is not yet consummated

50 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Kanny Dale said:

he cant come here in the Philippines.

Why can't he?  Is he so sick that he's bedridden?  That's the only confirmed reason I know of that USCIS would waive the 2-year meeting requirement for the I-129F fiancee petition.  "Needing to work" will not be an acceptable excuse for USCIS.  US workers are also allowed vacation/personal leaves.

Also, for US immigration purposes, your in-person meeting doesn't need to be in the Philippines.  You may meet in any country that the two of you can get to, like say, Costa Rica or Singapore or Maldives.  Tell your fiance that you need to meet in person at least once, for you to be able to start the immigration process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Kanny Dale said:

@ROK2USA sad to say, not yet

Then you don't qualify to start  the K-1 process until you have met, and any online marriage will not be recognized by USCIS until you have met.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, Kanny Dale said:

Wow really? Can someone help me find the couple? It'll be a big big help

Here are the links to the comments on that thread where VJ

members asserts

first hand knowledge of an unnamed couple who successfully got a K-1 despite disclosing the unconsummated online marriage. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/768150-utah-county-proxy-zoom-wedding/?do=findComment&comment=10593888

and 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/768150-utah-county-proxy-zoom-wedding/?do=findComment&comment=10594774

I aware of this thread but not aware that went down that rabbit hole. The rabbit hole that I asserted at the start of this thread existed. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Online marriage / then meeting in person,  that would require a CR1

not going to do K1 without a meeting

A different, shallower, and more broadly understood rabbit hole than that of OP. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Here are the links to the comments on that thread where VJ

members asserts

first hand knowledge of an unnamed couple who successfully got a K-1 despite disclosing the unconsummated online marriage. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/768150-utah-county-proxy-zoom-wedding/?do=findComment&comment=10593888

and 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/768150-utah-county-proxy-zoom-wedding/?do=findComment&comment=10594774

I aware of this thread but not aware that went down that rabbit hole. The rabbit hole that I asserted at the start of this thread existed. 

That is a wild situation (I missed the thread when it originally posted back in December).  The only thing I can figure out is that the consulate treats this differently than say a religious ceremony where both parties are present even if it is not a legally recognized marriage in the country it occurred in.  DoS seems to treat unconsummated proxy marriages differently then those other situations.  Regardless, the couple still needed to meet the I129F 2 year requirement which in the case of the referenced threads, they did, but in the case of the OP, they do not.  Not really sure why this couple decided to take the unconsummated Utah Zoom/K1 route except maybe to avoid dealing with a wedding after K1 arrival.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

Ok~ if you want to move to the US on K1 or spousal you will have to meet in person at least once. 

The case I was talking about involved a couple who had met before filing K1 but then married and not met after marriage... 

Oh okay, if we do this online marriage then meet in a third country to consummate it. Then we can apply for a spousal visa? He can't come here in my country because he's not vaccinated

2 hours ago, Kanny Dale said:

Oh okay, if we do this online marriage then meet in a third country to consummate it. Then we can apply for a spousal visa? He can't come here in my country because he's not vaccinated

Find a third country that doesn’t require vaccination for visiting. Egypt is one and I’m sure there are others too. You can meet there. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
11 hours ago, Dashinka said:

That is a wild situation (I missed the thread when it originally posted back in December).  The only thing I can figure out is that the consulate treats this differently than say a religious ceremony where both parties are present even if it is not a legally recognized marriage in the country it occurred in.  DoS seems to treat unconsummated proxy marriages differently then those other situations.  Regardless, the couple still needed to meet the I129F 2 year requirement which in the case of the referenced threads, they did, but in the case of the OP, they do not.  Not really sure why this couple decided to take the unconsummated Utah Zoom/K1 route except maybe to avoid dealing with a wedding after K1 arrival.

The DoS and USCIS policy manuals note that Congress failed to define what a valid marriage is. So jointly the two agencies have the base requirement of consummation before granting an immigration benefit. Given proxy marriages existed before the Internet, that online marriages are treated the same way isn’t so wild to me. 

This is the wild part to me:

Lets say  Mary and Joe meet in Paris on 1/1/20222 and take a selfie in front of the Eiffel Tower.  Mary, a citizen returns to the US. Mary and Joe do Utah online wedding on 1/15:/2022.  

Mary files I-129F with a receipt date of 1/20/2022 and includes the marriage certificate

That meeting in Paris was the last time they meet until Joe enters the USA on his K-1 visa on 7/15/2023

They file I-485 on 7/30/2023.  They have an interview on 1/30/2024 and are approved.  Gc shows up a week later and it is a 10 year green card. Because they have been married more than 2 years. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The DoS and USCIS policy manuals note that Congress failed to define what a valid marriage is. So jointly the two agencies have the base requirement of consummation before granting an immigration benefit. Given proxy marriages existed before the Internet, that online marriages are treated the same way isn’t so wild to me. 

This is the wild part to me:

Lets say  Mary and Joe meet in Paris on 1/1/20222 and take a selfie in front of the Eiffel Tower.  Mary, a citizen returns to the US. Mary and Joe do Utah online wedding on 1/15:/2022.  

Mary files I-129F with a receipt date of 1/20/2022 and includes the marriage certificate

That meeting in Paris was the last time they meet until Joe enters the USA on his K-1 visa on 7/15/2023

They file I-485 on 7/30/2023.  They have an interview on 1/30/2024 and are approved.  Gc shows up a week later and it is a 10 year green card. Because they have been married more than 2 years. 

It is an odd category, the consulate treats it like a K1 and USCIS sort of treats it like a K3.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I am the one who talked with the couple.  It was allowed because they did meet in person prior to filing and since they did not meet after the wedding they were not "married enough" to prohibit the K-1.  It blew my mind but they are here now and we are all watching to see what AOS will be like.  The State Department may look at things differently than USCIS.  

Online marriages were used to allow the US citizen to visit the beneficiary during Covid restrictions.  Those have mostly been lifted so now US citizens can travel to visit the beneficiary.  We don't hear too much about online wedding anymore unless they are military related.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 hours ago, John & Rose said:

I am the one who talked with the couple.  It was allowed because they did meet in person prior to filing and since they did not meet after the wedding they were not "married enough" to prohibit the K-1.  It blew my mind but they are here now and we are all watching to see what AOS will be like.  The State Department may look at things differently than USCIS.  

Online marriages were used to allow the US citizen to visit the beneficiary during Covid restrictions.  Those have mostly been lifted so now US citizens can travel to visit the beneficiary.  We don't hear too much about online wedding anymore unless they are military related.

The date discrepancy should get some scrutiny.   How can it possibly be legal to gain an immigrant benefit (unconditional GC) solely based on a date, when the applicant was not eligible for the same benefit (visa requiring both parties to be unmarried at the time it is issued) ?   

If this is in fact going to be legal going forward, then it will be a huge loophole that K1s could exploit to save significant time and money.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 5/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, Kanny Dale said:

I cannot advise strongly enough that you meet in person before marriage. It is extremely difficult to know if you are both truly compatible until you get some time together face to face. Unfortunately, many relationships that begin online fall apart after meeting in person. On the flip side, meeting in person can also confirm all of your feelings and commitments to each other. You have to meet in person either way, so why not make that happen before committing to spend your life with someone?

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.