tfab1

Green card processing while on B-1 visitor visa

38 posts in this topic

I am currently on a B-2 visitor visa. After 5 months into my visit, I met someone. As we both love each other, we are looking to get married in a couple of months. As my 6-month stay will come to an end in 20 days, I am looking to file for an extension via I-539.

Our relationship is genuine and we are both looking for true life partners. I read about the 30/60 rule for future green card sponsorship. I wanted to clarify the following:
1) Would it be a problem to file for an extension and get married while the I-539 is pending?
2) Are there are special considerations I need to be aware of in my case?

10 minutes ago, tfab1 said:

I am currently on a B-2 visitor visa. After 5 months into my visit, I met someone. As we both love each other, we are looking to get married in a couple of months. As my 6-month stay will come to an end in 20 days, I am looking to file for an extension via I-539.

Our relationship is genuine and we are both looking for true life partners. I read about the 30/60 rule for future green card sponsorship. I wanted to clarify the following:
1) Would it be a problem to file for an extension and get married while the I-539 is pending?
2) Are there are special considerations I need to be aware of in my case?

Your extension might not be granted. I would leave the US before your I-94 expires. 

Maybe have your partner visit you in your home country before you take further action. 

Then get married next year if you are sure this is real. 

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Please do not post same topic more than once ~~

Before I move this topic to an appropriate section, @tfab1 what is your plan? Leave the US after marrying and apply for a spousal visa?

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You just met someone and you're already in love? 

Just make sure you're not being promised marriage, end up overstating and then won't even get married as the USC changes their mind later down the road. I personally know someone who went down this exact road. 

Additionally, if you stay after being promised marriage, sometimes the petitioner, knowing that you're at their mercy, may start playing mind games to effectively control you. 

My best advice: Go home. Continue talking freely without any constraints. If things work out later, you marry. 

All the best :pop:

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

I was wondering if u said you met this person after been here for 5 months and ur I-94 will expired in 20 days, that means u only know this person for 10 days ? Are you sure it’s not “honeymoon phase “ since you said you are in love and ur relationship it’s genuine ? 

and to answer ur question, tourist visa extension unlikely to be approved unless you have super strong reason. 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

10 days, that's what I figured too..

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

31 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

I was wondering if u said you met this person after been here for 5 months and ur I-94 will expired in 20 days, that means u only know this person for 10 days ? Are you sure it’s not “honeymoon phase “ since you said you are in love and ur relationship it’s genuine ? 

and to answer ur question, tourist visa extension unlikely to be approved unless you have super strong reason. 

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

10 days, that's what I figured too..

You guys never heard of "love at first sight" and the great song by Savage Garden... 

Sometimes you know before you even know 😉

But, I would never file for an extension because I want to get to know someone better. 

Safest option (legal option) would be to go home and not rush into anything... 

Remember, you aren't allowed to work on a tourist visa and you won't get work authorization for a few months after marrying so not sure how you plan on supporting yourself for another 6+ months (maybe 12+ months) in the US. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is this USC willing to marry this fast (within 20 days)  and pay out $1225 for you to AOS ?

and then completely support u for 1 to 2 years?

the USC needs to know cost of health care for u would be a big bite out of any budget 

money problems can be a big issue and the downfall of a marriage

don't ask for troubles like this 

go home 

talk a lot 

visit each other 

and then make this life changing decision

and yes,,,  i believe in love at 1st site but i also know people change , situations change,  jobs change,  having kids changes life 

and marriage takes more than love to make it work

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Firstly, I completely understand and know that the timing and duration of this phase might seem like a honeymoon period. I am not looking to marry right away nor am I looking to jump into signing the documents tomorrow. We are looking to get into something serious (as life partners) after a couple of months (tentatively, but can even be longer as I'm willing to wait).

Just to clarify my situation, I entered the US through the B-2 visitor visa back in November and my six month tenure ends in May. If I leave the US, get back and marry, it would go against the 30/60 rule as I've already met him from my current visit. Reference: https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/90-day-rule-explained/

So, I am wondering if I should extend my visitor's visa stating that I intend to travel and explore more places in the US. Once the extension is filed, it would give me more time to build our relationship and would also help with future green card processing (especially, the 30/60 rule), if we were to get married and if he were to sponsor my Green Card.

3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Is this USC willing to marry this fast (within 20 days)  and pay out $1225 for you to AOS ?

and then completely support u for 1 to 2 years?

the USC needs to know cost of health care for u would be a big bite out of any budget 

money problems can be a big issue and the downfall of a marriage

don't ask for troubles like this 

go home 

talk a lot 

visit each other 

and then make this life changing decision

and yes,,,  i believe in love at 1st site but i also know people change , situations change,  jobs change,  having kids changes life 

and marriage takes more than love to make it work

Thank you for responding. Yes, I know it would be wise to be cautious. We've discussed various possibilities and both of us feel we have a genuine connection and we can work on something serious with more time. Hence, my question about extending my stay to optimize for future GC, if we do go down that path.

3 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

You guys never heard of "love at first sight" and the great song by Savage Garden... 

Sometimes you know before you even know 😉

But, I would never file for an extension because I want to get to know someone better. 

Safest option (legal option) would be to go home and not rush into anything... 

Remember, you aren't allowed to work on a tourist visa and you won't get work authorization for a few months after marrying so not sure how you plan on supporting yourself for another 6+ months (maybe 12+ months) in the US. 

Thank you for taking a look.

Definitely, doesn't make sense to file for an extension with the reason of getting to know someone. I am planning to explore the country and see more places in my stay and at the same time give time to our relationship. Leaving the relationship or our connection out, would exploring places still not be a valid reason for the extension? 

4 hours ago, Misscloud said:

Apologies for not being clear in my initial post. Please read my response to the other posts. 

Thank you for taking a look!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 minutes ago, tfab1 said:

If I leave the US, get back and marry, it would go against the 30/60 rule as I've already met him from my current visit. Reference: https://www.boundless

There's no such thing as 30/60/90 day rule in USCIS manual. I think this 30/60/90 thinking came about from people trying to game the immigration system. Your tourist visa extension is not something that is approved in days and the probability of getting approved is extremely low, so if you not are approved you'll by then have accrued unlawful presence leading to ban.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.