OlgaA

How to find work in America?

39 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, OlgaA said:

Here I am! Dear friends, could anybody share experience on how and where to start looking for a work. I am about to get my SSN and I just received GC. I don't have driving licence and I am not sure if I will drive. Any advices on job website or tips are highly appreciated!🙌🙏

if you are looking at simple jobs like grocery stores, small stores, restuarants, bars etc than you can use craigslist.org 

duh

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

if you are looking at simple jobs like grocery stores, small stores, restuarants, bars etc than you can use craigslist.org 

Thanks a lot

• Captain Ewok changed the title to How to find work in America?
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Bat man said:

Also look into your rights, what at-will employment is (a lot of places are) and what is illegal for an employer to ask in an interview!

Good idea! Thanks

33 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Even if you do not have a driver's license, get a state ID to fill your i-9.  Unrestricted SSN + State ID is going to save you trouble.

You can also google "your state name" + career center - most states offer help to find a job/recruit employees.   Your profile says NJ, so here it is: https://www.nj.gov/nj/employ/seekers/  

Also, many places are very eager to get employees right now, it is possible to get more than minimum wage, even for some retail jobs.  You are worth it!

Thanks a lot! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello, the fastest way to get a job is to type Temporary agencies near me.  Upload your resume to their site. They make money by finding you a job.(it's a free service for you)

Most assignments might be 3 to 6 months but they will normally hire you as permanent when the assignment is ending. 

When the assignment ends, they will find you another job.

You might also try the school district near you and apply as Teachers assistant.

I suggest you have a computer most better paying jobs are "work from home now." Just Google "work from home jobs"

😊apply for customer service, administration, call center jobs 

With your teaching experience you can teach people to speak English language online and set your own schedule. You can teach people that speak your native language to speak English if you like. No experience for most.

8 of the best online teaching companies to work for.

1. Skooli
  2. VIPKid
  3. DaDa
  4. QKids
  5. iTutorGroup
  6. Gogokid
  7. Whales English
  8. English Hunt

You can also start off at Walmart, or Target store.

Best wishes. You will do just fine 🙂

Edited by abrilmurray7@gmai

Timeline
38 minutes ago, abrilmurray7@gmai said:

Hello, the fastest way to get a job is to type Temporary agencies near me.  Upload your resume to their site. They make money by finding you a job.(it's a free service for you)

Most assignments might be 3 to 6 months but they will normally hire you as permanent when the assignment is ending. 

When the assignment ends, they will find you another job.

You might also try the school district near you and apply as Teachers assistant.

I suggest you have a computer most better paying jobs are "work from home now." Just Google "work from home jobs"

😊apply for customer service, administration, call center jobs 

With your teaching experience you can teach people to speak English language online and set your own schedule. You can teach people that speak your native language to speak English if you like. No experience for most.

8 of the best online teaching companies to work for.

1. Skooli
  2. VIPKid
  3. DaDa
  4. QKids
  5. iTutorGroup
  6. Gogokid
  7. Whales English
  8. English Hunt

You can also start off at Walmart, or Target store.

Best wishes. You will do just fine 🙂

Thank you for such a thorough answer with a set of suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
4 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

I work quite closely with one of our organization's HR dept.  Within that department, there are company recruiters.  We are an organization of around 95K people, so there are various people recruiting for dept types of jobs.

Before I returned to the US, I was working overseas for a little more than 25 years.  The jobs I held in various countries overseas dominated my resume.  In fact, to any recruiter, I would look like I was not even authorized to work in the US, even though I was a citizen.  However, at the top of my resume, after where you have your name, address, and contact details, I put one bullet point, highlighted that stated I was a US citizen.  The recruiter who hired me where I work now, told me months later that they were passing over my resume, until they saw that I was a US citizen.

My suggestion is you should do something similar, but put something like "US Permanent Resident, authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship."  Something like that.  The HR managers etc who I work with have told me that they constantly get people applying for positions who either hide or lie that they dont need company sponsorship to work in the US and its a tremendous waste of time for them.  In fact, if any of our recruiters, etc feel a person needs immigration sponsorship, etc, they just pass over the resume.  Since your resume will likely only contain places of work overseas, this may help increase the number of interviews you do get, plus eliminate any misunderstandings along the way.

It's really helpful, thanks a lot!

It's simple. Just like any other country, most would go online and Google job sites. Submit your resume and wait for a call back. Make sure you submit at least 50 applications a day. Second, just in your neighborhood and you will see signs "We are hiring." You would like something close to your house if you don't have a car yet. Invest Uber/Lyft credits at least 2 weeks worth so you have transportation while you wait for your first check. That's what I did. Goodluck!

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you have an university degree check on this, they do a wonderful job helping people with the job application process in the US. And it is free! 

Edited by 4A2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
16 hours ago, 4A2 said:

If you have an university degree check on this, they do a wonderful job helping people with the job application process in the US. And it is free! 

They've been pointed out here before.  Thanks for the reminder.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hi Olga! It was pretty simple:) I only use Indeed website. The first job I got was Target. I applied directly on their website ( I recommend check companies directly and apply there), they scheduled m6 interview in 2 days and it went fine. I never started the job because in the same time I applied to work for post office as a Christmas helper and they accepted me. I worked there 6 weeks. After that I applied for another job at the PO and got it within a month. It’s been 2 years and I still working there. Also I have been applying to a different positions and 90% been invited for interview. I have a high degree from my country but I don’t use it here. 

Good luck! It’s not hard to find a job right now. We are struggling to find employees. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.