OlgaA

How to find work in America?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Here I am! Dear friends, could anybody share experience on how and where to start looking for a work. I am about to get my SSN and I just received GC. I don't have driving licence and I am not sure if I will drive. Any advices on job website or tips are highly appreciated!🙌🙏

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, OlgaA said:

Here I am! Dear friends, could anybody share experience on how and where to start looking for a work. I am about to get my SSN and I just received GC. I don't have driving licence and I am not sure if I will drive. Any advices on job website or tips are highly appreciated!🙌🙏

“Indeed” website, LinkedIn if you have a profile … .. ask around..local businesses advertising .. really depends in what you are looking for 

Timeline
Just now, Lil bear said:

“Indeed” website, LinkedIn if you have a profile … .. ask around..local businesses advertising .. really depends in what you are looking for 

I was an English teacher at home, so here I can work as a shop assistant or a receptionist at a hotel,anything, just need some tips on how you do it here

Thanks for response

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 minutes ago, OlgaA said:

I was an English teacher at home, so here I can work as a shop assistant or a receptionist at a hotel,anything, just need some tips on how you do it here

Thanks for response

Most of those are in Indeed.

You can also be a translator. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, OlgaA said:

Thanks for response

For retail .. ask to speak to the manager at places that interest you and are close for walking or public transport. Many places have signs in their windows. Face to face is good !! Have your resume in hand . 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

For retail .. ask to speak to the manager at places that interest you and are close for walking or public transport. Many places have signs in their windows. Face to face is good !! Have your resume in hand . 

Good idea! Thank you!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I was about to say the absolute opposite 😂 only mom and pop stores do face to face anymore. Usually even the managers will point you to the companies homepage to apply.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 hours ago, OlgaA said:

Any advices on job website or tips are highly appreciated!🙌🙏

The best way to get a job in this country is through someone you know who works there.  Except for my first job (which was the hardest to get), every job was because someone I knew there worked there.  

So priorities for your attention:

1. apply for jobs at places where you know someone. That person should be willing to place your resume literally in front of the eyes of the hiring manager. 

2. apply for jobs at places with a sign in the window that says help wanted and apply inside.  

3. apply for jobs at places that list a phone number to call. 

4. apply for jobs that where you upload your resume to a website owned by the hiring company.  A waste of time in my opinion but if you have nothing better to do, you might as well 

5. Like 4 but you upload your resume to a website that is not owned by a hiring company (such as Indeed)

I estimate that for options 4 and 5 fewer than 1 in 100 job applications produce an interview     Probably more like fewer than 1 in 10,000. 

Web sites like Indeed and Monster are good for employers and not good for people who want jobs.  Most likely you will just end up with a lifetime of spam email.  If you do option 4 or 5 do it with a throw away email address.  

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The best way to get a job in this country is through someone you know who works there.  Except for my first job (which was the hardest to get), every job was because someone I knew there worked there.  

So priorities for your attention:

1. apply for jobs at places where you know someone. That person should be willing to place your resume literally in front of the eyes of the hiring manager. 

2. apply for jobs at places with a sign in the window that says help wanted and apply inside.  

3. apply for jobs at places that list a phone number to call. 

4. apply for jobs that where you upload your resume to a website owned by the hiring company.  A waste of time in my opinion but if you have nothing better to do, you might as well 

5. Like 4 but you upload your resume to a website that is not owned by a hiring company (such as Indeed)

I estimate that for options 4 and 5 fewer than 1 in 100 job applications produce an interview     Probably more like fewer than 1 in 10,000. 

Web sites like Indeed and Monster are good for employers and not good for people who want jobs.  Most likely you will just end up with a lifetime of spam email.  If you do option 4 or 5 do it with a throw away email address.  

Thank you ! It's very useful?👍🔥

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Are you interested in teaching? You could always get a teaching certification!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Are you interested in teaching? You could always get a teaching certification!

I heard it will take time to adjust my university degree to American and after 9 years of experience of teaching I feel like I just want to do something different, online also not an option due to vision troubles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 minutes ago, OlgaA said:

I heard it will take time to adjust my university degree to American and after 9 years of experience of teaching I feel like I just want to do something different, online also not an option due to vision troubles

Oh I see! 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
15 hours ago, OlgaA said:

Thanks for response

The old knocking on doors, in person still works.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.