gnothiseauton123

N-400 November 2021 Filers

414 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Anyone knows what happens after you're done with the interview and they tell you, you have your oath in couple of hours but you have another appointment. Do you have to make it then? Can you request to reschedule it? 

Wedding: 21 Jun 2013

Application sent: 11 Oct 2013

NOA1 - receipt date NSC: 29 Oct 2013

Acceptance confirmation email: 31 Oct 2013

NOA1 - Hard copy: Never arrived...

RFE email - 19 May 2014

RFE Hard copy - 3 June 2014

RFE response review - 7 July 2014

I-130 approval (NOA2) - 21 July 2014

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, waiting4i130 said:

Anyone knows what happens after you're done with the interview and they tell you, you have your oath in couple of hours but you have another appointment. Do you have to make it then? Can you request to reschedule it? 

You can reschedule. You need to send them a letter. Heads up - sometimes takes up to 2, 3 months for you to get an answer from them so I will probably reschedule your other appointment.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Today (08/11/2022) at 2:35 pm I officially become an American citizen. I would to say thank you to everyone in this forum who help through this journey. For those of you waiting just be patient your day will come. 

1 hour ago, fab2021 said:

Today (08/11/2022) at 2:35 pm I officially become an American citizen. I would to say thank you to everyone in this forum who help through this journey. For those of you waiting just be patient your day will come. 

Congratulations 👏 🎊 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/21/2022 at 7:32 PM, Citerio said:

congratulations. Quick question,  Did you file electronically? 

Thanks! Yes I did.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's official, I am now a citizen and my "visa journey" is complete.

I will post a full review on my timeline. But I just wanted to mention the civics questions that I was asked in case anyone was curious:

1) What is an amendment?

2)  What happened on 9/11?

3) Who was the president during WWII?

4) Who is my state governor?

5) How long are representatives elected for?

6) Name two holidays?

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting! You got this!

Timeline

Congrats to everyone that passed the interview!

Can someone explain what the process is after the interview? 

How do we know whether or not the oath is on the same day?

Any other forms we need to submit afterwards?

RFE email - 19 May 2014

5 hours ago, FOSSLGRL said:

It's official, I am now a citizen and my "visa journey" is complete.

I will post a full review on my timeline. But I just wanted to mention the civics questions that I was asked in case anyone was curious:

1) What is an amendment?

2)  What happened on 9/11?

3) Who was the president during WWII?

4) Who is my state governor?

5) How long are representatives elected for?

6) Name two holidays?

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting! You got this!

Did you take Oath same day? or need to wait for letter?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
7 hours ago, waiting4i130 said:

Well there are two possible scenarios,

1. After passing the test, the officer will give you a sheet indicating that you passed and your application will be recommended to be adjudicated,  some officers take the oath there in their office and they give you your certificate in 20 minutes or The officer will tell you to come back a few hours later to take the oath with more people.

2. They will thank you for going to your interview but unfortunately they cannot make a decision on your case or simply do not take the oath that day and they will send you a new letter to attend your ceremony in the coming weeks.

Timeline
8 hours ago, franco_chisco18 said:

Well there are two possible scenarios,

1. After passing the test, the officer will give you a sheet indicating that you passed and your application will be recommended to be adjudicated,  some officers take the oath there in their office and they give you your certificate in 20 minutes or The officer will tell you to come back a few hours later to take the oath with more people.

2. They will thank you for going to your interview but unfortunately they cannot make a decision on your case or simply do not take the oath that day and they will send you a new letter to attend your ceremony in the coming weeks.

RFE email - 19 May 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
19 hours ago, waiting4i130 said:

Same day oath depends on several factors:

• First and foremost, your field office. Some field offices do same-day oaths and some do not. If your field office does same-day oaths and some do not.
  • The time of your interview. For field offices that do same day oath, there is usually a cut-off time, after which, they will stop doing same day oaths and will schedule you for another day.
  • How long the various final processing for you case taking to complete. For example, when you go in, you may have to refresh/verify your biometrics. If there is a problem with verifying your biometrics it may have to be done manually which can take some time. ALL of the processing on your case has to be complete by the aforementioned  cut-off time or they will schedule your oath to another day. 
  • Are you changing your name? If I remember correctly, name changes require a judicial oath ceremony which are not typically done same day. 
  • Does the officer have your case file? This applies more for the new video interviews where sometimes the officer doesn't have the original copy of your case file yet (they only have the digital versions). Without the full case file, they cannot finalize your approval and schedule your oath.

Long story short, if you have a morning or lunchtime interview at a field office that does same day oaths and your case is pretty straightforward then it is very likely that you will have a same day oath. 

For my wife, at the Seattle FO, after her video interview was complete and she was approved, the assistant came in and direct her down to queue up for her oath ceremony. The ceremony consisted of 10-15 people and it seemed that they were doing them every 30min to 1h. When she went in, they took her green cards (current and expired) and other things like that and gave her the New Citizen packet of info. When it was done, as she walked out, there were already 5 more people queued up for the next ceremony. 

Edited by PedroDaGr8

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

Timeline
On 8/19/2022 at 11:58 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

Same day oath depends on several factors:

• First and foremost, your field office. Some field offices do same-day oaths and some do not. If your field office does same-day oaths and some do not.
  • The time of your interview. For field offices that do same day oath, there is usually a cut-off time, after which, they will stop doing same day oaths and will schedule you for another day.
  • How long the various final processing for you case taking to complete. For example, when you go in, you may have to refresh/verify your biometrics. If there is a problem with verifying your biometrics it may have to be done manually which can take some time. ALL of the processing on your case has to be complete by the aforementioned  cut-off time or they will schedule your oath to another day. 
  • Are you changing your name? If I remember correctly, name changes require a judicial oath ceremony which are not typically done same day. 
  • Does the officer have your case file? This applies more for the new video interviews where sometimes the officer doesn't have the original copy of your case file yet (they only have the digital versions). Without the full case file, they cannot finalize your approval and schedule your oath.

Long story short, if you have a morning or lunchtime interview at a field office that does same day oaths and your case is pretty straightforward then it is very likely that you will have a same day oath. 

For my wife, at the Seattle FO, after her video interview was complete and she was approved, the assistant came in and direct her down to queue up for her oath ceremony. The ceremony consisted of 10-15 people and it seemed that they were doing them every 30min to 1h. When she went in, they took her green cards (current and expired) and other things like that and gave her the New Citizen packet of info. When it was done, as she walked out, there were already 5 more people queued up for the next ceremony. 

Thank you for all this information!

That means I cannot travel internationally after my oath ceremony and before I get my US passport I'm assuming since they will take the green card...

RFE email - 19 May 2014

3 hours ago, waiting4i130 said:

That means I cannot travel internationally after my oath ceremony and before I get my US passport I'm assuming since they will take the green card.

That is correct. They do have a passport service if your traveling in 2 weeks or something like that but it will cost you.

Edited by Bob in Boston

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bob in Boston said:

That is correct. They do have a passport service if your traveling in 2 weeks or something like that but it will cost you.

The passport service doesn't cost anything more than what you'd pay if you were applying at an acceptance facility like USPS.  The harder part is to get a timely appointment at an agency near your location. Depending on the criticality of your travel, you can search outside your general area and look for alternate location. Since you have a need to travel, that justifies the reason. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.