Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Mat&Michelle said:

Hi i have a quick question, if anyone could help it would be appreciated. 

I already confirmed my appointment for my interview that's on October 25th, but since we will be moving to a new address once in the states i wanted to change my address for where i would receive my green card. Since, the old one i entered on the ceac website when they ask you if it was the same as the petitioner and you check yes so you have it mail to your petitioner address. Well, i can't change it now on the site since my case is in Montreal now. 

So my question is where do i go to make the change prior to the interview? Or do i have to call the consulate or NVC or Usics to make the change? Or just mention it to the person when I'm being interviewed?

Thanks and congratulations to everyone getting their IL and getting their cards :)

Hi! Register for the USCIS online portal. Once your visa is issued as an I-551, you’ll be able to submit a change of address form to them. The online portal for USCIS is actually fairly user friendly (genuinely shocking lol) and I’m fairly sure you have to do this before you activate your visa at the border. Once it’s active, they’ll send it to the address they have on file. There is also a manual form you can fill, but since the system is actually pretty decent I recommend the portal: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do;jsessionid=67B7E5426211713131C9240DA7ACB7A5?fromFirstCoaPage=true

8 hours ago, HD_BIRDS said:

I think the appointment letter is the email sent by the NVC informing you that your interview was scheduled, with the date and time.

If you haven’t had any exceptions made to your case, such as rescheduling or expedition, your email should come from the National_Visa_Center@state.gov email. Add it to your contacts and favourite it so it for sure doesn’t go to spam! I also favourite the donotreply one just to make sure.

3 hours ago, rainbow-skies said:

We didnt get an IL from NVC.  Only from the usvisa-info.com email - this confirmed the scheduled date and time.  Can anyone confirm that expedited cases maybe dont get emails from NVC?

Yes! Expedited cases and rescheduled appointments are handled differently. They are forwards from NVC directly to the consulate to manage the scheduling, so you do not get an email from NVC, just the scheduling center with the @usvisa-info.com domain.

IR1 - DQ Oct 16 2020

---

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet 
(follow instructions at the top of the page and DM @Hawk Riders to be added)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, aurmorr said:

Hi! Register for the USCIS online portal. Once your visa is issued as an I-551, you’ll be able to submit a change of address form to them. The online portal for USCIS is actually fairly user friendly (genuinely shocking lol) and I’m fairly sure you have to do this before you activate your visa at the border. Once it’s active, they’ll send it to the address they have on file. There is also a manual form you can fill, but since the system is actually pretty decent I recommend the portal: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do;jsessionid=67B7E5426211713131C9240DA7ACB7A5?fromFirstCoaPage=true

If you haven’t had any exceptions made to your case, such as rescheduling or expedition, your email should come from the National_Visa_Center@state.gov email. Add it to your contacts and favourite it so it for sure doesn’t go to spam! I also favourite the donotreply one just to make sure.

Yes! Expedited cases and rescheduled appointments are handled differently. They are forwards from NVC directly to the consulate to manage the scheduling, so you do not get an email from NVC, just the scheduling center with the @usvisa-info.com domain.

Awesome! Thanks for confirming that!😊

Timeline

Also just a reminder since I was afk for a while and there’s lots of new users to the forum since I ghosted:

I have a small chat on Facebook messenger for any LGBT+ couples going through Montreal. Send me a DM and I’ll be happy to add you :) 

IR1 - DQ Oct 16 2020

---

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet 
(follow instructions at the top of the page and DM @Hawk Riders to be added)

Timeline
10 hours ago, Mat&Michelle said:

Hi i have a quick question, if anyone could help it would be appreciated. 

I already confirmed my appointment for my interview that's on October 25th, but since we will be moving to a new address once in the states i wanted to change my address for where i would receive my green card. Since, the old one i entered on the ceac website when they ask you if it was the same as the petitioner and you check yes so you have it mail to your petitioner address. Well, i can't change it now on the site since my case is in Montreal now. 

So my question is where do i go to make the change prior to the interview? Or do i have to call the consulate or NVC or Usics to make the change? Or just mention it to the person when I'm being interviewed?

Thanks and congratulations to everyone getting their IL and getting their cards :)

They'll ask during your interview to confirm your address in the US, you can change it then. They had the wrong address for me because we missed that our lawyer put in my husband's address as east instead of west but I was able to correct it at the interview and had no issues receiving my green card. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
21 hours ago, YYZ&MIA said:

Yup, since May! 5 months waiting. I was in Poland when I got my IL and the limited flights and restrictions and mandatory quarantine at the time made it impossible. On that note, I am still in Poland, fully vaccinated and I know restrictions have eased and the 14 quarantine is no longer needed but I believe I read that the consulate asks if you have been outside Canada in the past 14 days and if you have, they dont let you in. Same with the doctors where you go for your medical. Can someone confirm if that is still the case

Dont you need Poland's PCC reissued? I am assuming that you left to Poland after DQ. As far as I understand PCC's of any country other than country of residence (Canada in our case) is valid for lifetime unless you visit that country again. Since you visited Poland, don't you need PCC to be reissued?

I will be in similar boat after few months as I planning to travel to India and as soon as I come back I plan to get PCC reissued.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, viksaw said:

Dont you need Poland's PCC reissued? I am assuming that you left to Poland after DQ. As far as I understand PCC's of any country other than country of residence (Canada in our case) is valid for lifetime unless you visit that country again. Since you visited Poland, don't you need PCC to be reissued?

I will be in similar boat after few months as I planning to travel to India and as soon as I come back I plan to get PCC reissued.

Yup, Ive already got that covered 🙂 I have 2 PCC from Poland and one from Canada as they extended the validity for 2 years plus I have not been back to Canada since the first one.

Timeline
23 hours ago, rainbow-skies said:

Does anyone know if we are supposed to receive additional correspondence/email for the interview ?

I have received only an email from donotreply@usvisa-info.com stating the following: 

You have successfully registered your immigrant visa appointment on this website.

You must print this instruction page and bring it with you, along with the appointment letter/email, to the Consular interview.  

You must attend your consular interview at the date and time assigned to you in your appointment letter/email.

Before traveling to your consular appointment, please check the Department of State Visa Bulletin to confirm that your priority date is still current. If it is not, you will need to reschedule your appointment when the priority date becomes current to continue your case processing. This does not apply for K visas (Fiancé(e)/Spouse/Child), Boarding Foils and Returning Residents (SB1).

Then it has the interview date and time.  

The part that confuses me is the line I made in red text, as I have only received this one email.

Thanks in advance.

Mel

Mel, Where do you find the DS-260 number to register your immigrant visa appointment? -Kelley 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, TEXbound said:

Mel, Where do you find the DS-260 number to register your immigrant visa appointment? -Kelley 

Hey!

I never had to register my visa appointment because they scheduled it for me as I was expedited. However, I made an account prior to receiving my IL and that prompted me to put in the Ds 260. I found it on that receipt/document you got after completing the DS 260. I believe it is the barcode number on the bottom right (The left barcode should be your MTL number)

Timeline
1 hour ago, rainbow-skies said:

Hey!

I never had to register my visa appointment because they scheduled it for me as I was expedited. However, I made an account prior to receiving my IL and that prompted me to put in the Ds 260. I found it on that receipt/document you got after completing the DS 260. I believe it is the barcode number on the bottom right (The left barcode should be your MTL number)

Thanks very much!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/20/2021 at 10:41 AM, dwheels76 said:

Does anyone know about F2A category getting IL? What DQ they are on?

unknown.

IR1/CR1 folks often encourage other category applicants to create their own forum threads to discuss...

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

@Incrediblestan, were you approved last week?

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

Indeed!! Visa was approved Sept 17th! We will be updating the timeline and doing a review

Timeline
On 9/20/2021 at 11:10 AM, rainbow-skies said:

Well I along with many other passengers waiting at Gate F for TSA and US Customs assumed it would open at 430am. We were wrong and they didn't open TSA until 0600 am/630am, regardless of people who had flights at like 7am.  Luckily, my flight was at 9am. But the wait was long. I got to the airport at approx 5am, and didn't get to the actual plane boarding gates until like 8:20am.

I just worry now with POE because the latest nonstop flights I could find out of YYZ are at 0800 am and I just worry that activating my visa will cause me to be late for my flight. Then goes another day to wait for another flight haha

Mel

Well, since the US opened its borders, there should hopefully be more flight options rolling in and hopefully it's not such a crunch for time! 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, kpbru said:

Does the day of the week matter for doing a POE crossing/visa activation? My spouse and I are talking about a quick cross to activate (and start the ball rolling on getting the social security card and green card sent) and return to Canada so that he can finish out his job before moving here, but getting away during the week to do it is going to be difficult. If he went on a Saturday, would there be officers available or would it be a longer wait?

It looks good that our interview will be in November, so we're planning ahead.

Just remember when he activates his visa, he loses his provincial health care benefits.  The assumption is when you activate that I-551, that you're headed to the US as a LPR. The stamped, activated visa gives him entitlement to work even without a social and the physical green card sometimes comes fast, other times slow but isn't required for a year until the passport stamp expires and even then it can be extended if there is an issue with the issuance of the physical green card.  He will have 6mo from the date the medical is issued or the expiration date of his PRC, whichever comes sooner (typically it's the medical that expires) to activate, so a reasonable amount of time to finish up work, pack up and move.  

Also keep in mind any covid testing requirements at the borders.  Some CBP and CBSA agents have been great, others not so much.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.