Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, a quick up date. So I had the impression that after you cross the border you just wait for your SSN and green card and within 2 weeks you should get them. Well after 4 weeks I did not get anything and of course I was not able to do anything in USA without these 2 cards. Finally I read on here that people have been going to the SS office and apply for their SSN. So I called and they told me to wait it will take time since it is a new card I am getting. The truth is if the border officers did not apply for you , you will not get it and you will be waiting for nothing. They do apply for your green card but looks like the SSN is it separat from the green card and they might not apply for you . So my suggestion is that you ask the border office when you cross if they applied for you for the SSN. The officer told me I will get smething in th mail he did not specifically said which one the green card or the SSN but I knew something was coming and was expecting that both will come. So if you have waited 2 weeks and got nothing chances are you need to locate your local SS office and make an appointment and apply for your SSN. That is exactly what I did after waiting for 5 weeks but you can get on it faster after 2 weeks or just get your answer form the border officer and apply as soon as you get into USA. So got my SSN 4 days after I applied and got the green card 6 weeks after I crossed the border. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, TEXbound said:

HELP!!! 

My husband is in Montreal for his medical and interview. We booked him at the best western by the consulate and there are bed bugs!! He has bites all over and is sitting in the lobby. Does anyone have a recommendation on somewhere else to stay? Please help! 

kelley 

Look into an airbnb. We got one for next week within walking distance of the consulate. 

I am soooo sorry to hear.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

...people have been going to the SS office and apply for their SSN. 

refer to p15 of the FAQ

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
3 hours ago, TEXbound said:

HELP!!! 

My husband is in Montreal for his medical and interview. We booked him at the best western by the consulate and there are bed bugs!! He has bites all over and is sitting in the lobby. Does anyone have a recommendation on somewhere else to stay? Please help! 

kelley 

I stayed in a nearby Airbnb, maybe look for those? Wherever he goes, make sure he thoroughly checks his bags, puts everything he can through the dryer, and anything that he can't put through the dryer goes in the freezer for a few days. It would be a shame to bring bed bugs to another place or even home with him! We had a single bed bug once (we were lucky that it was killed before it could breed) from a guest and it messed me up for months. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

5 hours ago, TEXbound said:

HELP!!! 

kelley 

They are prob all in his luggage too. When he get home tell him to leave it outside or put it in a trashbag and tie it super tight. Put everything on high high heat and freeze what he can’t... I’d throw out the bag it’s self. I would ask to change rooms and not go else ware or he would be causing an even bigger spread. I always check my hotel room when I first get there. 

Hi! I'm getting everything ready for my embassy meeting next week and noticed this in the FAQ:

Do I need to bring additional documents for my joint sponsor?

You will need their 1040 and proof of their legal status in the US. If your sponsor files their taxes as "Married Filing Jointly" you will need their W2s so that they can determine if the income listed on the 1040 is from the sponsor, or from their spouse. If the sponsor files as single, then you don't need W-2s.

My joint sponsor (married filing jointly) is retired and has 1099's instead of W-2's. Is this going to be an issue? The NVC accepted them in CEAC but I was wondering if I need to bring anything else. TIA!

Timeline
7 hours ago, TEXbound said:

HELP!!! 

kelley 

😑 thats awful. Thank you for sharing. Wont be staying there.

Timeline
23 hours ago, HD_BIRDS said:

I submitted a vaccine record downloaded from Alberta Public Health agency, but they still made me get a doctor fill out that form. I don't even have Canadian health insurance! I had to update TDAP, so I went to a travel clinic and they did both the TDAP and vaccine form for $70. The cost of the form fill was $30.

I dont have Canadian health insurance at this point either as Ive been outside of Canada for a while and my HC is expired. Can you elaborate on how you went about downloading your vaccination record from the public health agency? Share a link? Starting to wonder if my vaccination card is going to be enough for the Dr doing my medical of if Ill have to do what you just described.

Timeline
7 hours ago, TEXbound said:

HELP!!! 

kelley 

Definitely complain to management and demand a new room and help with this situation. Looking for a new hotel and relocating is probably too stressful at this point and the last thing he needs before the big day. Thats just my suggestion. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, PHM said:

Hello!  Yes I was denied during my Interview in Montreal because my husband who is a dual citizen USA/Canada was with me in Canada- what I provided for them regarding domicile was not accepted- he had to go to the USA and open a bank account, secure a temporary residence, I had to show proof of wiring him money as well as he was able to unbelievably get hired in a job all within a week.  There was also a problem with the I-864 which  I had to to resolve by obtaining another sponsor- it was alot and I was massively stressed as I did not want this temporary separation but it all worked out in the end and I'm so happy and relieved!

Ugh!  Sorry you faced so much additional stress!  That said, the immigration process will certainly prove to a person what they're made of!  I swear if you can survive our type of immigration, your relationship can survive basically anything life has to offer! 

9 hours ago, TEXbound said:

HELP!!! 

kelley 

Yuck!  Hopefully the hotel has refunded his money and offered to clean his luggage!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

2 hours ago, YYZ&MIA said:

I dont have Canadian health insurance at this point either as Ive been outside of Canada for a while and my HC is expired. Can you elaborate on how you went about downloading your vaccination record from the public health agency? Share a link? Starting to wonder if my vaccination card is going to be enough for the Dr doing my medical of if Ill have to do what you just described.

I just called the city health line and they emailed mine to me since I’ve always lived in the same city. All they asked was name and date of birth and email. It takes about a week to get the record. Don’t worry if you call the wrong line they will give u the correct number or just transfer u over. 

Timeline
On 9/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, HD_BIRDS said:

3-4 weeks?!! That does sound like a long time. I have my interview next Monday and currently live and work in the US, so would definitely be curious to hear what others say about this.

Within a few hours, the CEAC status changed from "ready" (for an interview) to "Issued under administrative processing" to "Issued, in final processing, expect it within 5 business days". So, thankfully, it looks like it won't be 3-4 weeks after all!

Timeline
On 9/28/2021 at 11:16 PM, bkoz said:

Does anyone know what happened to consular operations the last time the U.S. government shut down over the debt ceiling? It's bad enough with all the COVID delays, and now the Republicans are trying to hold things up even more...

Holy (removed) I hadn’t thought about that….

Edit - Just googled the 2018 shut down and it appears consulates across the world were working and processing visas. So hopefully, we’ll be good.

Edited by Ontarkie
by-passing language filter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.